'51 GMC powered by a 4200 vortec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 GMC powered by a 4200 vortec

The trucks running and driving - getting ready for the next phase of the build - add power ...

Even with the stock engine at 275 HP it moves the truck quite good - 2nd gear roll-on 30 to 90 mph - 10 seconds.... It just roars starting at 2800 rpm with just the conical air filter. Kind of like a race hemi at 1/2 track.

This is going to require a lot of fabrication as there are no aftermarket parts for this engine including camshaft blanks - so we'll be doing our own cnc cam blanks. My buddy at steedspeed.com is going to cut the prototype turbo manifold once I give him a cad file for the exhaust ports and the turbo location. Another 4200 user has CNC'ed intake flanges so one of them is enroute here to start the intake fabrication.

I'll be ordering pistons, rods and sleeves very soon for to get the short ready for boost. Planning on running 2 sets of injectors one for gas and a second set for methonal to cool the air and keep detonation at bay.

A couple of pix of the install todate: http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1298/p9090075ck4.jpg

Pix of the truck and wagon http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?i...b110105cm9.jpg

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Re: '51 GMC power by a 4200 vortec

Definately would love to see more pics of that truck!

Comment

Re: '51 GMC powered by a 4200 vortec

EFI, I was wondering when someone would do this engine swap, have one in my trailblazer and is quite surprising :o, I bet your truck scoots. Keep us up on your build, I am particularly interested in any aftermarket parts you might come up with. Are you using the stock computer? Thanks

Comment

I wanted to see the same thing too, and a great vehicle to put it into as well.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I see a wasted spark coilpack, so this tells me something's afoot in the computer department!!

your username kinda has me wondering - did you megasquirt a 4200 vortec???

project looks awesome. There are a lot of DIY EFI guys on this site. TELL US THE DETAILS!
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            I see a wasted spark coilpack, so this tells me something's afoot in the computer department!!

your username kinda has me wondering - did you megasquirt a 4200 vortec???

project looks awesome. There are a lot of DIY EFI guys on this site. TELL US THE DETAILS!
            Scott good guess....

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Megasquirt V3.00, MSII, 1990 GM TBI harness, MS to GM TBI Adapter board (plug and play with no harness mod's)... 4L65E. Ford EDIS with a home built pick up mounting bracket and 36-1 timing wheel, the pix link above show a couple of good shots of the pickup & mounting plate. I pined the dampner to the crank in order to degree the balancer then pinned the timing wheel to the dampner hub and crank. Works well. Need to get the VVT code written - wonder if the extra guys will be up to it and then run it on a GPIO....?

One thing I learned is that the 4200 DO NOT like a lot of timing. like 22 degs max.

Thanks for the feedback ;D Anyone happen to have a good connection at a cam grinder ( Crower etc.. ) where we could get the cams ground from the blanks?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              I wanted to see the same thing too, and a great vehicle to put it into as well.
              If fits but its tight the LH inner fender needed a tweak with the 14# tapping hammer to clear the alt. and the P/S pump need to be swapped out for a remote resovoir.

People ask what is it ???

Comment

I don't know if they've done this specific engine, but you might try Delta Cams in Tacoma, WA. They were very helpful to me and are reasonably priced. If you can give 'em specs and blanks, I'm guessing that they can help you out. I don't have them bookmarked, so you'll need to Google them.

Dan

Comment

pix update

Comment

Working...
                  X