No announcement yet.

G.M. 3500 HD Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve always wanted an old school ramp truck. Around here in the late 70’s there where a couple of guys that ran NHRA stock and super stock that travelled up and down the coast in ramp trucks. I thought that was so cool.
    Last edited by langleylad; January 18, 2023, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
      I’ve always wanted an old school ramp truck. Around here in the late 70’s there where a couple of guys that NHRA stock and super stock that travelled up and down the coast in ramp trucks. I thought that was so cool.
      That was BIG TIME!

Comment

Here’s a cool ramp truck video from Karl and his brother Benny of Make it Kustom

Comment

I'm not sure what you could do with a NV4500 shifter, the pivot is held in place by a ball/socket/spring arrangement and the lower part finds its' path through the notches of three slider things, not a lot of places for improvement and it's better for a truck trans to not shift too fast anyway. Remember you have to use special oil in that trans, not regular 90 weight, due to weird carbon-fiber lined shift forks. What's recommended by GM or Mopar is no longer available but Royal Purple, I think, has something. I'd have to check to see what I bought a year or so ago for my pickup, which is working fine. This sucks that the flywheel and bell housing have to be a problem, I agree you can probably e-mail ARP with the application, length and thread size plus the precise flywheel hole diameter and they'd know what to pick. Hey I came across this, going back to the T56; while having a good input rating, the recommended GVW behind that trans is 3200 lbs., i.e. sports-car territory and a quarter of what you'll possibly be at with a load. Better to go w/ the truck unit that you have in hand now, made to take heavy torque input for longer durations. Do note that overdrive in any trans including the NV4500 is intended for cruise situations, not on hills or with a heavy load where the 1:1 gear is always best. Hopefully your tire height will counteract those 4:56's somewhat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	T56 performance specs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	1331628
          Last edited by Loren; January 19, 2023, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I thought SBC and BBC used the same bell housing bolt pattern and the LS pattern was close enough. Is the 8.1 odd?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              I'm not sure what you could do with a NV4500 shifter, the pivot is held in place by a ball/socket/spring arrangement and the lower part finds its' path through the notches of three slider things, not a lot of places for improvement and it's better for a truck trans to not shift too fast anyway. Remember you have to use special oil in that trans, not regular 90 weight, due to weird carbon-fiber lined shift forks. What's recommended by GM or Mopar is no longer available but Royal Purple, I think, has something. I'd have to check to see what I bought a year or so ago for my pickup, which is working fine. This sucks that the flywheel and bell housing have to be a problem, I agree you can probably e-mail ARP with the application, length and thread size plus the precise flywheel hole diameter and they'd know what to pick. Hey I came across this, going back to the T56; while having a good input rating, the recommended GVW behind that trans is 3200 lbs., i.e. sports-car territory and a quarter of what you'll possibly be at with a load. Better to go w/ the truck unit that you have in hand now, made to take heavy torque input for longer durations. Do note that overdrive in any trans including the NV4500 is intended for cruise situations, not on hills or with a heavy load where the 1:1 gear is always best. Hopefully your tire height will counteract those 4:56's somewhat.

Click image for larger version Name:	T56 performance specs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	1331628
              That is why there multiple top plates for these... one is as you stated, while the others use the internal rail shifters similar to the T-5, T-56, NV 1500, 2500,3500 and so on....this will help: https://core-shifters.com/collection...r-silverado-hd
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Bell housing appears to be the same as BBC and SBC. The three reasons I wanted a T56 was : 1.I love shifting gears
                2. Thee mileage
                3. I like to shift fast
                . sometimes.
                But Loren you talked me out of it and I'm ok with it because I may need that granny low sometimes. If it doesn't get at least 12 mpg , I'll probably stick a dana 80 under the front and a diveored 205 and really screw the milage up . Oh , and my truck has the GK9 code . Gears are 4.63 ! Maybe I should just sell the truck and put it all in that 350 S10 that has been sitting in a couple garages for the last 4 years . Nah , I like big trucks , I cannot lie .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Bell housing appears to be the same as BBC and SBC. The three reasons I wanted a T56 was : 1.I love shifting gears
                  2. Thee mileage
                  3. I like to shift fast
                  . sometimes.
                  But Loren you talked me out of it and I'm ok with it because I may need that granny low sometimes. If it doesn't get at least 12 mpg , I'll probably stick a dana 80 under the front and a diveored 205 and really screw the milage up . Oh , and my truck has the GK9 code . Gears are 4.63 ! Maybe I should just sell the truck and put it all in that 350 S10 that has been sitting in a couple garages for the last 4 years . Nah , I like big trucks , I cannot lie .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                    Here’s a cool ramp truck video from Karl and his brother Benny of Make it Kustom

https://youtu.be/Is5mXFGVoHE
                    Always in for a good road trip .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      2. Thee mileage
                      3. I like to shift fast
                      . sometimes.
                      sell projects?!!!! what kind of blasphemy is this!!!!!? Monster, please get a straight jacket for Mr. Barlow and set him down in front of Roadkill for a 16 hour therapy session.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

sell projects?!!!! what kind of blasphemy is this!!!!!? Monster, please get a straight jacket for Mr. Barlow and set him down in front of Roadkill for a 16 hour therapy session.
                        They'd have to fix one of them , tow theother one to Summit or a lake , swap the engines and tow one back home !
                        Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 2, 2024, 08:12 PM.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I am not sure the difference between the T56 and T56 magnum, but there are guys running 1000+ HP cars that weight over 4000 lbs. with the Magnum.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Wasn't able to find wheels within 150 miles . Found a Facebook Club for GMT 400 3500HD trucks . Had a guy offer up 4 wheels with three tires for $200 . So Lady Paula and I took her Yukon down and got them and made a weekend trip out of it . There were some offered in Toledo and some in Wisconsin. But I like mountains and warmer weather so we went to Savana Tenn for these. Savana in mid way between Nashville and Memphis.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Score! Aren't those the same as motorhome wheels?
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

These actually came off a motor home . So, yes the same.
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X