No announcement yet.

G.M. 3500 HD Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost had ithe 8.1/496 in last night . The exhaust bolts that go to the head pipes were hooking my wiring on the fire wall . It was getting late and with the truck nose only in the garage it was getting cold after our nice 70 day . I needed to get the fan off so I could bring the engine forward . I don't want to take the manifolds off as the bolts tend to break on these just driving them . I tried taking the fan off to gain the room but when I turned the big nut that holds it to the water pump , the pulley just turned. ( slipped inside the belt ) I'm going to get a new belt and try taking the fan off while the engine is of the floor tomorrow.
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 2, 2024, 08:15 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        Almost had ithe 8.1/496 in last night . The exhaust blots that go to the head pipes were hooking my wiring on the fire wall . It was getting late and with the truck nose only in the garage it was getting cold after our nice 70 day . I needed to get the fan off so I could bring the engine forward . I don't want to take the manifolds off as they bolts tend to break on these just driving them . I tried taking the fan off to gain the room but when I turned the big nut that holds it to the water pump , the pulley just turned. ( slipped inside the belt ) I'm going to get a new belt and try taking the fan off while the engine is of the floor tomorrow.
        If it was easy anybody could do it. Still, there are challenges in every swap for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          Almost had ithe 8.1/496 in last night . The exhaust blots that go to the head pipes were hooking my wiring on the fire wall . It was getting late and with the truck nose only in the garage it was getting cold after our nice 70 day . I needed to get the fan off so I could bring the engine forward . I don't want to take the manifolds off as they bolts tend to break on these just driving them . I tried taking the fan off to gain the room but when I turned the big nut that holds it to the water pump , the pulley just turned. ( slipped inside the belt ) I'm going to get a new belt and try taking the fan off while the engine is of the floor tomorrow.
          some autoparts stores have the wrenches you need to get the fan off. when it comes down to it, air hammer works very well..... it's how I got the fan off the H1 motor I'm working on now
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean .The nut is on the shift how do I put a impact socket on it , the fan is in the way . Claw foot or do the call them crow foot . Still not sure how I'd get the impact in there . I'm not worried about getting it off . But right now I'm in the beginning stages of leveling the family room and laying old fashioned hard wood flooring on the main floor of the house . But I do wonder what you mean .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

here's one way:
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

chisel method:

Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I have also just used the punch on the air hammer to turn the nut this works well if you are planning on replacing the clutch.
                  Last edited by Russell; February 28, 2023, 06:09 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks guys . I am a redneck . So, I have a hammer and a chisel . When I get a chance I give it a try .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I stuck it in this evening. The drivers side engine bracket isn't quite straddling the motor mount , but it's in there . Nope , wasn't able to get the fan off .But got it in anyways .

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1333510

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1333511
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Thanks , I ended up buying a new one a while back .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

A smart man would have put this pilot Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1333846 bearing in first . But I got a little excited when I had a couple spare hours when I put the engine in .
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 9, 2023, 08:39 PM.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Here in Yooper Country, we call that a "Pilot Bearing",
                            it might just be a Regional Thing.

Don't have me go down on a story about a "Bell Coupling", from a Louisiana Pipeline Mechanic, and a "Knock Down Reducer" by a Displaced Yooper on a Job in West Virginia.....

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                              Here in Yooper Country, we call that a "Pilot Bearing",
                              it might just be a Regional Thing.

Don't have me go down on a story about a "Bell Coupling", from a Louisiana Pipeline Mechanic, and a "Knock Down Reducer" by a Displaced Yooper on a Job in West Virginia.....
                              You are correct . Thanks . I edited it .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X