No announcement yet.

squirrel's 55 chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I think it will be ok, but it's not done yet....when my son dropped it off, they checked for straightness and said it was off about 4 thou, also said it should clean up at 020 under. But like I said it's not done yet....so who knows!
    Last edited by squirrel; March 28, 2013, 09:11 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• You're lucky .004 isn't bad at all. I've seen new factory ones with that much runout.

Comment

• It didn't run long with the spun main bearing....he shut it off when he heard knocking.

I played around with the car some more today, modified the battery tray to give more clearance around the valve cover, took the heater back out, and replaced the fuel pump. The pump started leaking last time I drove it, I had a replacement in the trunk. I also ordered a new pump, so I'll have yet another replacement. I guess I can't complain, the two pumps I had go bad recently were both over 20 years old. Both Holley blue pumps.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          Wow lots of projects going on these days, mine gets bumped to the second page pretty quick.

I get to pick up the heads today. I have the beehive springs and hardware, I got some pushrod guides and the rocker studs. The studs are ARP in Dart packaging, and cost a bit less that way than buying them as ARP studs. Strange.

Block might get bored and honed this week. I got the Sealed Power/Speed Pro pistons....interesting, they're made in India now, which explains why they cost less than $350/set for forged pistons. I hope they work.
          India...cripes. I just put off replacing brake rotors for the Cyclone because all O'Reilly's could come up with were 'Made in China.' How long before we see 'Made in Vietnam'?

Good luck with the new build-up.
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• So far .......so good

I might've missed it..........what intake you using?
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• My asumption would be the Bds intake. Root, Root, Root

Comment

• Not quite, I bought an old Weiand blower intake on ebay, although it hasn't arrived yet. Which will require me to use a remote thermostat housing, since the blow off valve is up front where the water crossover should be. I also bought an original GMC blower front cover, I'll see if I can get that onto my blower to replace the BDS part that looks so 1990.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

• Gear change...I swapped in the 2.47s to replace the 2.75s, now it's time for a test drive. Should keep the highway rpm below 2500.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

• The gears seem to work ok. Not a real noticeable difference, about 2500 rpm at 75 mph. I also fixed the driver seat, one of the springs was broken so I replaced it with some old truck seat springs, and I replaced the foam in the center because it gets tired after 16 years. Better now.

Road trip tomorrow...off to Phx to visit my son, then we're heading up to Vegas to watch the team my brother and other two sons mentor. Should be fun. I think the car will make it. I got another new fuel pump too...as a spare....you never know.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• pics of the seat springs. The funky S shaped springs like to break, you can buy replacement stock for them but I don't happen to have any laying around. But I did take some springs out of an extra 55-59 truck seat when I was fixing the ones in my trucks, so I had a few spare coil springs. I stretched two of them to fit, and wired and hog ringed them into place. It seems to work fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	seatfix5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	868936
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• I purchased new springs for my seats.....had way too many to fix.

Looking good.
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• I made it to Chandler, today we're off to Vegas. The car ran fine yesterday on the way here. I did a quick not too accurate mileage check, 13.5
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I made it to Chandler, today we're off to Vegas. The car ran fine yesterday on the way here. I did a quick not too accurate mileage check, 13.5

After changing the gears from 2.75's to 2.47's - Is that an improvement in gas mileage? Or have you changed other stuff that would make it hard to tell how the gear effected the gas mileage?

Comment

• Was getting 12.8 after 3 fill ups. That's a slight improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55vegas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	868980
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• For what the car is, how it's powered.. That ain't shabby at all..
                                With the torque you got, sure helps, I'm sure..
                                It's a little less than the bone stock small block Suburban I drive but I'd be happy to get what you do!

Comment

Working...
                                X