Joes Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joes Fury

Been driving every day for 2 weeks now...put over 1000 miles on it...runs like a clock...ticks like one too...got a exhaust leak at the head again...and I thought the right rear brake was locking up judging by the "brake lathe" like sound I was hearing..but when I pulled the tire today at lunch the drum is in nice shape but the brakes are GLAZED over BAD..(wonder how that happens : ) ..... the parking brake cable broke and was rubbing the inside of the drum...glad it was not what I thought it was...the brakes need done, and I think I will upgrade to a dual res master but i think for the cost I am going to stick with the drums....

I have a couple pics...the hole and the scoop filling the hole...I have some touch up to do and need to mount the scoop...cutting a giant hole in the hood was unnerving, but fun!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Joes Fury

Cool....drive the wheels off that thing. Since I put my Camaro together, it's been my DD and I love it.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

What heads are on it?

906's?

Comment

it is an hp block so I assume they are 906's, although I have yet to look for numbers and to be honest I dont know where to look...are there things to look for that would distinguish them from others?

I want to find a setof 906's and have them worked then install them so the car is not down for too long, then I could sell the ones on there to make a buck or two back...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I have the availability of 2 killer machine shops,

get a pair, I'll port em, then have a multi angle valve job
          performed, along with setting up whatever spring package
          you plan on using(you'll pick the cam first, obviously).

Let me know.

Comment

Joe - that scoop looks like it turned out pretty good! It'd be cool to see some better front-end pics.

Regarding the header ticking, I know many people (including me) who have had great luck with these header gaskets - http://www.remflex.com/. The best thing about these is they seal odd surfaces great and won't blow out. The weird thing is they're very fragile until they're installed, but after 1-2 retightenings, they hold great after that.
            Tampa, FL

Comment

Joe I have a set of 489 heads

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedJunkee
                I am not a engine number guru, budding newbie at best....whats the diff between the 906 and 489?

Comment

Originally posted by MadmanMark
                  Joe - that scoop looks like it turned out pretty good! It'd be cool to see some better front-end pics.

Regarding the header ticking, I know many people (including me) who have had great luck with these header gaskets - http://www.remflex.com/. The best thing about these is they seal odd surfaces great and won't blow out. The weird thing is they're very fragile until they're installed, but after 1-2 retightenings, they hold great after that.

thanks for the tip mark, I may have to check them out....

Comment

the casting number...the last three digits are what folks refer to them as. Pull a valve cover, look for a 7 digit number, the last three will either be 906 or something else

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

so is it jsut a casting number difference between the 906 and the 489 or are there performance differences?

Comment

906 are the good ones - but there's a catch. If I recall correctly, 906 heads have soft valve seats and will need Stelite seats installed to live on no lead fuel - probably a good idea for a DD. I've forgotten the PN for the smog heads but they have induction hardened seats and can work pretty well with with some massaging. Just don't let the machine shop get too carried away when the grind the seats. So it all depends on how you'll use the car - DD on no lead or mostly race car on race gas.

Hope this helps.

Comment

There are performance differences, and as Dan mentioned heads prior to the mid 70s might need exhaust seat inserts. In the old days, the 906 heads were the good ones...but that was when gas had lead in it....(high compression is easier to deal with if you can buy premium leaded gas for 35.9 cents a gallon)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Pretty good remembering for an old fart! I had set of 906es and a set of smog heads for my last PP but I never completed that project (no excuses, I just never got a round twoit). Anyhow, we milled the smog heads a BUNCH (I think it was 0.070) because the combustion chambers were SO big. I forget the formula for milling the intake faces on a BBM but it's out there. Anyhow, I was following the old Direct Connection engine manual, which I sold along with the car.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                              Originally posted by SpeedJunkee
                              I am not a engine number guru, budding newbie at best....whats the diff between the 906 and 489?

Sorry, there 452's. The 452's are newer and have the harden seats for the unleaded gas. I might have a set of 906's coming too.

Comment

Working...
                              X