Vortec RS's 92 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortec RS's 92 Camaro

Last fall my 92 Camaro caught on fire right after installing a new cam. In the months since I've took it apart and put it back together. Cutttin out sections of the wiring harness, installing a new fuel system, and replacing the stuff thatgot melted. I've posted numerous pics on http://brocks92camaro.blogspot.com/. Later I'll have a video I took on Youtube. Check it out.

Re: Vortec RS's 92 Camaro

Neat car, Brock...your dad(HoosierGTA) has told me a little about it before, but would you care to refresh me with some of the specs?

Tiresmoke!

Comment

It's a 92 RS that came with the 3.1 V6 and a 5-speed. I've had it since I was 16. We've put in a 72 truck 350 with possible 4 bolt mains. Never had the pan off so not sure. I've put Vortec heads on it. Edlebrock EPS intake carter afb four barrel, a decent cam. headers flowmaster cat back. Rear disc brake 3.23 9-bolt posi from a trans am. Z28 springs up front, ws6 sway bar out back. I took a video of it in my garage this after noon. The lighting or something wasn't working with me but the audio is nice. Its on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx7e1...layer_embedded. The TV cable isn't adjusted right so it shifts really late. The cable is too long and it won't go back any further. I'm going to try and adjust the throttle bracket and see if that moves the cable back further. I can't wait to have it back on the street.

Comment

Sounds good . Come over and fix mine! or do I have to let you set it on fire first ?!

Comment

Nope we don't need to go that route. I need to adjust my throttle cable bracket cause the TV cable won't adjust properly. I drove it around a little on saturday. Engine ran great but the tranny would shift really late. A t56 would fix that. I need to get some heater hose so I can hook the heater valve to the heater core. I still don't have a hood on it so it looked funny going down the road with the hood hinges standing up. You'll have to stop by sometime and hear it in person.

Comment

Nice car, presume you took the 5 speed out and put a 700r4.... be sure you get the cable right before you drive it much; otherwise you'll be replacing the tranny very soon.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

When I bought the car it was sans engine and transmission. The cable I used to have got melted in the fire. The one I have now seems a hair too long. With the carb at idle there is less than a 1/4 inch of the cable sticking out of the other side of where it mounts to the carb. If I cannot move the bracket back any can I use a fishing weight as a spacer to shorten the cable? Maybe thats a good question for Indyshiftman.

Comment

Been tinkering around with it again the past few days. I have a hood on it, heater hoses so there is no spilling coolant, I had to replace the acclerator pump because the top of it melted in the fire so there was a major off idle stumble. Drove it alittle last night and this morning. I have a little fine tuning to do on the TV cable and then I think it will be ready to go.

Comment

Sounds great. I bet your really making your dad proud .

Comment

Well Dan, being as you ARE his dad, you could answer that yourself....LOL

Brock, keep plugging away on that RS.....my oldest is getting his own '92 RS in shape bit by bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!

Brock, keep plugging away on that RS.....my oldest is getting his own '92 RS in shape bit by bit.
                      I was pretending to be like Bob Dole,(refering to himself in the 3rd person most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                        Originally posted by tiresmoke!

I was pretending to be like Bob Dole,(refering to himself in the 3rd person most of the time.
                        Even Supreme Court Justices quote themselves - so you're in good (if there is such a thing as a good lawyer/judge) company.

Nice work on the car.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well I don't really know what happened. I drove the car to work Friday shifts were hard and a little late. Monday morning it was just about right. Monday night on the way home it started slipping really bad. I could barely get it up the driveway. Checked the fluid and it had plenty. Checked the TV cable again and reset it again. So it looks like after driving it two day the tranny has given up. The plan is to save and swap a T56 but I don't think I can wait that long so maybe a T5. I have been searching craigslist and other classifieds to see if I can find one for a good price. It seems that the Camaro will be parked.

Comment

Well, crap.

;)

Look at the bright side...winter's right around the corner, plenty of garage time for a swap.

Well, not so much a bright side(winter STINKS), but at least you'll have time before the next cruise season.

Comment

Yeah that is true but I never got to enjoy this years cruise season. Good news I got a T5 today for 150 bucks bad news is my buick died getting their in the process and now won't start. I know its a fuel issue but not sure exactly what. Sorry for hijacking my thread. I've got a bunch of parts to gather together but thankfully no hacking is required since my car came with a 5 speed to begin with. Later

Comment

Working...
                              X