My first "garage find" project '57 F-100 big back window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first "garage find" project '57 F-100 big back window

Me and my girl moved into a new house about 4 months back. Since I've lived there I have noticed this blue Ford Big Back Window F100 sitting tucked away next to a garage backed up against a fence 5 houses down the street. I have wanted to do a classic truck DD for awhile now just had too many other projects going at once to justify even searching for one....that was until this weekend.

Sunday morning I see the guy pushing it out from behind the garage and tinkering with it a bit. Me and the Mrs. do some running around and when I come back I see he' still outside. I stroll on down to introduce myself as a new neighbor (with an agenda,lol). We get to chatting and he tells me he bought the truck several years ago cause he thought it would be a cool fixer upper but didn't take into account his total lack of mechanical ability. He asks me what I do for a living I tell him that I operate a lawn care business and I am in the process of opening up a fab/speed shop locally. He instantly says "well damn, you're the type of guy that should have this thing then"...I say "yeah maybe someday. Money and room is a little tight right now". He says "hmm, well....just make me an offer. Really it's shame that it just sits here"....I tell him "no no, I would just insult you. I wouldn't be able to dump more then $400-500 on anything right now".....he tells me "you stop by Tuesday with $500 and she's yours". So that's exactly what I did

I am now the proud new owner of a 57 F-100 with inline 6, 3 on the tree power. I already got her running it took it around the block and I am absolutely STOKED on this truck. She's gonna get dropped on air bags and most likely ride on some steelies and white walls. The hard part is figuring out how to re power the old girl. Do I go with an original Y block Ford, Windsor, 460, perhaps some retrofitted diesel???? I have plenty of time to think about it though. Here she is in all her 80% rust free $500 glory....the best part is my girl even kinda digs it. Win, win ;D

The crazy thing is that had I never gone and talked to that guy the truck would probably sit there for another 5 years and I would always drive by looking and wondering....

Where I picker her up

Put a tire on the front of the dually and pushed it down 5 houses, haha

Foot print gas pedal...check!
    www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Re: My first "garage find" project '57 F-100 big back window

Dude....You totally suck.

I will give you $600 cash....today ;D

Badass buy.....make sure you post up with all the nitty gritty details...

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

What a steal, wait, I mean deal. I was right with the first one. Great find, and keep us updated.
      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Just leave the 6 in it for now, drive it around, think over your plan, look at it from all angles. Enjoy it for awhile ..........Nice old truck!
        61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

A new drive train is definitely the last thing on the to do list. I want to get the stance right and enjoy it for awhile as opposed to just tearing it apart instantly. Looks like I need a new distributor and the carb could use a bath both other then that the motor runs and the tranny shifts...so it was an all around good day

Comment

500$ :o :o.A friend bought a 59 F100 rusted out hulk in bits over here for 2500$ ;D.You got a deal there.

Comment

Nice truck and oh what a buy! ;D
              I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I'm going to be total odd and say turbo an EFI 300 Ford I6 with a stick for total head scratching cool points when you smoke the tires.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Awesome truck dude !
                  Great start to a project ..
                  .. can't wait for more.
                  ;D

Comment

Thanks guys, this thing is already too much fun. 8)

The simplicity of how everything was done in 57 is awesome and nice break from my other big project that requires the car to take a ride in the trailer to DieselGeek's house every other month so he can work his ECU magic.

The powertrain options will be a tough one for me to decide on. I LOVE the idea of a turbo'd I6 300. I also love the idea of a simple hot rodder V8....but I keep seeing this image of the truck slammed with the tires blazing and black diesel smoke pouring out of some "through bed" exhaust....hmmm

Comment

dude - I hate you in the best kind of way - what a steal!

I say keep her an inline - go with the 300 six- try to score a cross flow head - headers, aod, 600 cfm carb torque monster cruiser - and not bad at all on gas.... and that smooooooth per of an inline six - with never die durability!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Wow, sweet deal, man I love the old Ford trucks! My vote is for the turbo'd 300. I've got an old 300 sitting in the barn that I'd like to build up for an old truck someday, so I'd love to see someone elses' setup. Btw, that dually is pretty sick as well...
                        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

I love the old truck. I have to jump on the 300 band wagon here too. With a 5 or 6 speed stick and turbo whine.
                          Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

The 300 is a great choice. Of course, I'm always up for an inline. But a Y-block would be WAY cool too.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                              Wow, sweet deal, man I love the old Ford trucks! My vote is for the turbo'd 300. I've got an old 300 sitting in the barn that I'd like to build up for an old truck someday, so I'd love to see someone elses' setup. Btw, that dually is pretty sick as well...
                              I'm diggin the truck in your avatar! My first truck was a 74 F-250 with a 4 inch lift. Still wish I had that thing...

I got a great lead on a running Y-block last night for cheap cheap. But still haven't ruled out a mean I6

Comment

Working...
                              X