Clear All

• Project-64 - 1964 Chrysler NewYorker Salon

As bought...

As delivered...

Some more pics...

Vintage Stock date-coded muffler...

Steering-linkage...

Paint scraping...

Painting the car a more serious color with a roller and some semi-flat housepaint...

Original 413 engine...yuck! No love to be found here...

Reinforced the motormounts 'slightly'...

Freshened-up frontsuspension...

Checking tires for fitment...

Installed some '71 Chrysler front seats in favor of the worn-down 250 lbs benchseat.

Engine-bay cleanup...

Before...

After...

Preparing 440-engine for engine-bay docking...

Engine-specs:
    440, +.030"
    Keith Black pistons, 11:1 cr,
    Heads:
    At first; 84cc Edelbrock Heads, but later on exchanged for iron '915' Heads, 1,74" exhaust / 2.08" intake valves.
    Offenhauser dual 4bbl intake, 2 Carter 625cfm carbs.
    Erson cam, mechanical, 256 @ .050" dur. w/ .534" valvelift.
    1.5 Gold Crane rockers. ARP-bottom end. Fully balanced.
    Stock crank and rods.

Thought about making some headers, 'cause no-one else does for this car...

Cutting up 2 sets of headers provide a lot of tube-material.
    One set was of a b-body Mopar, the other of a Class A Motorhome, from which I used the collector-pieces...

Rear-axle cleanup...

New reinforced driveshaft...

DiscBrake-conversion (1973 Chrysler parts)...

Designing adaptor-plate to mount bracket on...

Trial-fitting / mock ups...

Computer-design of the adaptor-plate...

Final lasercut-result...

New front brakelines and linelock...

At the moment, the car is storage behind the garage because 'Project-60' came rollin' in and I want to finish that first.

Also,
    before the car went into storage, the 440-engine has been removed from the car as plans have changed.
    At first I decided to make room for my 496" stroker engine, but this engine has now been 'down-tuned' for now and will find it's way into 'Project-60' for the time being.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Re: Project-64 - 1964 Chrysler NewYorker Salon

Too cool.

Comment

VERY Cool!

I have a '64 300 that I'm starting on. Also picking up a '64 New Yorker 4dr Hardtop parts car this week. It already has the AAJ disk brake conversion and a smooth running 413 + all the clean rust free sheet metal that my 300 needs.

Hehe....how much for a set of headers? ;D

Comment

The headers I fabbed will only work on cars with the engine mounted solidly in the car.
        I've actually have big doubts in using these because they run VERY close to the lower part of the steering-box. I *think* the heat generated by the headers will surely make the oilseal inside leak.

I will either mount some shorty headers, modify some B-body headers or start all over again with some stainless steel tubing and create a 'proper' set of headers with at least somewhat equal length tubes, something what my set also doesn't have.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

What about recreating the 300-K cast iron style headers in stainless....Those are known to fit but are expensive as hell if you can find them ($1700 for the last set I saw). Maybe not as good as equal length headers but would certainly flow better than the logs on their now right?

Comment

I don't recall ever to have seen such a manifold.
            Any kind of header that groups all the exhaust-outlets into 1 tube above the torsionbars will work OK I guess. But with big cars like these you'll want long primary exhaust-runners to gain a little more torque.
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Here's a few pics I located in the "files" section of the '63-'64 Chryslers Yahoo group...the "owner" never responded when I asked if I could post 'em...I'll take 'em off here if anybody objects.

Comment

Recreating these in stainless steel tube would be pretty 'easy'... save for the heattube-supports perhaps, but that's nothing to difficult I think.
                I think I would still try to leave the primaries as long as possible before dumping them into one collector.
                Although I also believe Chrysler would have done their homework with this system.
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Sweet Ride i have a 64 crown coupe myself!!!

8)

Comment

Working...
                  X