Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In pursuit of a more badder asser van - 1974 Ford E-300 Club Wagon Chateau

Arild, more cubes would most certainly rock!!! I don't know what I'll end up doing, yet, and am considering different options. My first and overriding thought is to keep the original block for history's sake, and 302s are really decent engines. This van has been babied, so I bet the cylinder walls aren't even etched...well, maybe a bit and I'm expecting to replace the pistons, but keeping the original block would be a high priority. How much can I stroke it? 347 should be easy enough for some decent power. Wouldn't a 392 require a 351 block to start with? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a built AOD or AODE.

John, it's great you're there anyway, and I know with a newborn on the way you won't have much time to even wipe your.....well, let's say time and sleep will be at a premium. Your thoughts on the build are most welcome, however. I wasn't aware that a 347 stroker would stress the engine. Even if it's balanced well? I was looking at Ford's website and see they have a 347 stroker crank, and as you mentioned, it wouldn't be that much more expensive to stroke this engine, and that's what I talked to Seth about yesterday. Can you get a good price on a rolling assembly? I'd consider that from Ford if they have some good combos for sale at a reasonable price. I'm interested in high quality forged parts. By the way, I'm not that worried about parts availability over heres since there's a PRO building the engine and I don't expect it to BREAK in the next 35 years... LOL... ;D :D :o : ;D ;) So just build me a bullet-proof engine and I'll be good to go. You mention a roller one piece rear main block. Is that not what the stock 302 has (one piece rear main)? I'm not very up on the details of Ford power. Do you think I'll have to buy a new block? If I did that it would surely be a 351 to begin with.
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Check out SBFtech.com and read everything you can about the sb Ford. Also, check out the advertisers on there. Jay Allen and Jim Woods really know their stuff. Sounds like a plug I know, but they will point you in the right direction for quality and value. I have bought valvetrain equipment from Jay and can attest to his quality.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Yup.To get the roller one piece gasket,you will need another block.One of my co workers,have ordered a 427 short block.I think he got it for 2500$ or so.With the rifgt heads,you will habe 400 hp easily..and a lot of torque.Then you wont have to rev it so much with the 4 speed trans either.

Comment

Don't let me talk you out of a 347, just investigate it - cantvalve is wise - check out his links.
          I would strongly suggest going with a more modern roller cam one piece rear main block - they are cheap and plentiful and make running a roller cam a breeze with inexpensive parts and a plethora of off the shelf parts choices.

I would probably sell the engine and trans out of the van as a running / driving unit. It's a '74 "smog" engine... not worth much, but a good solid running drivetrain you can drive before you buy should be worth at least $500 toward the build...???

I have a book detailing stroker small block builds, with afr 185 heads, a good cam and a 331 stroker kit - 400+hp is easy.... more of course with a 347.
          Forged internals and a full blue print and balance of them by a quality machine shop will insure this thing will stay together a long time - especially with a 6000rpm limiter in the new electronic distributor which makes sense - this is a family hauler hotrod - not a race car.... right?

Roller cam means more power with less sacrifice of idle quality and vacuum and no worries about oil in the future.... that's a no brainer reason to ditch the factory block and run a modern roller block.

I will work on the friends I have at ford racing - it's not as easy / simple for an employee to get FR parts... that's really annoying but I will see what kind of magic I can work. ;D
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Brian, first off let me tell you how much I appreciate your signature line (and Buickguy's too!). Also, thanks for the wise advice to do some research before I plunge into this project. As I mentioned, I know virtually nothing about Fords, though we were a "Ford Family" more than any other American make; on the other hand, we had lots of different foreign cars too. And the last few years I've gotten into Chevies quite a bit. In any case, it's important to do research. I know the 302/5.0 is one of the best building blocks for big HP, so thanks for the website you mentioned. It looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Seth sent me a link to DSS racing, which sells engines, and for $1800 I can have this short block:

DSS Racing Pistons. Forged and manufactured in the USA.

For $3000 I can get this:

How about a 410 short block for an extra $400:

I suppose the main difference is the second one has a forged crank. And I've always been under the impression that forged is much better, but as John mentions, this is only a family van which will almost certainly never see boost, so how far do I need to go to achieve satisfactory results? And on a limited budget, I might add. I don't want to drop $8-10K on an engine! As it is, I think it's gonna be $5K or more, which is a lot. In fact, this van is going to be about 4 times more expensive than any vehicle I've ever bought. But it's the bad-assness that I'm after, so I think it deserves to be done right. I think I've already decided to go with a new block to take advantage of the improvements in design and parts availability, which is more than I'd expected to do at first.

John, I do appreciate your looking into what Ford Racing can hook you up with. It looks like the aftermarket is highly competitive, however, and may provide me with what I need at better prices, but let's see.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Comment

Not sure if it's the best deal but I'd look into the Edelbrock crate motor. It'll come w/their decent heads and a guarantee, IIRC. Everything I've ever gotten from Edelbrock has been top notch and it does EXACTLY what they say it will. Seems like the whole deal was not much more than the DSS stuff. Worth a look.

Dan

Comment

My thought is a 347 stroker shortblock, AFR 185's, Comp Mutha Thumpa Hyd Roller Cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock carb, and MSD Ready to Run Distributor.

That should make good power, sound great, be reliable, and not be too crazy for the street.

With an AOD behind it.....it should be way more badder asser....

Seth
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Dan, thanks for the tip. Seth, that sounds about right to me too. I've got to draw the line somewhere with HP and $$ !!

I was directed to these videos from the Econoline forum, and they sure do bring back memories of my youth with all the different vans and painted murals on them. I really miss that today. You almost never see painted murals on vans today, much less the fantastic variety of artistry exhibited in just these few videos. Check them out and dig it baby! LOL

Here's a slideshow of pix from my vanning events, beginning with the 2nd National Truck-In, Bonner Springs, KS.Whether this stirs memories or introduces you ...

This is the 76 nationals at Beach Bend Park Bowling Green,Ky. [email protected]

I never made this comparison before, but it's interesting how the announcer says that vans are the epitome of the American motoring experience, akin to the covered wagons of old. Maybe he was onto something (or on something? ... LOL). But the more I think about it, the more I think he's right, and maybe that's why I'm so keen on getting one of these old vans again. My parents were the antithesis of hippies, but we too had a van, so the appeal cut across all kinds of ethnic and class lines. In the videos I even noticed plenty of blacks sharing the vanning experience, and I think that's cool. I never saw any when I was young but the videos show vans were part of Americana, shared by all.

Does anybody have a line on NOS emblems for my Ford? I can't seem to find a source for them, and I need a few, including a SuperVan emblem for the back door, and perhaps some E-300 emblems (though, as a Chateau, it didn't come with either of these from the factory). I'd also like to find NOS Club Wagon Chateau emblems for the rear side panels.

Comment

Mike,
                    Pretty cool and useful. Enjoy it it looks really solid.Just dont see them anymore.

Comment

The eagle has landed....The van made it back to my house last evening and I am starting in immediately....or as soon as the torrential downpour stops. I will get some more pictures when I get started and post them up.

This thing is a hoot to drive....so much fun.

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

This is a cool project thread and I'm enjoying the progress.
                        With so many windows, a mural is probably out,
                        .. but are you going to repaint it or leave the current patina ?

Comment

It will be painted....stock colors but a fresh coat.

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Steve, I'm a huge fan of originality and believe me, I'd have done nearly anything to keep that original patina, but since there's rust to be repaired along the bottom of the van, plus a couple dents I couldn't leave alone on the side, it didn't make sense to just leave the top unpainted; might as well go all the way with a fresh paint job. Damn Detroit salt! LOL. I've discussed the color choices with Seth and I think the Brookwood/Brokeback Blue (or whatever it's called) is pretty damn nice so there's no reason to deviate from stock in this regard.

Seth, I'm glad you're having the time of your life....as much fun as one can have outside Maxton, huh?! LOL. I can't wait to try out the handling characteristics of that van. I rode around in one my whole childhood but never got to drive one very far. What do you say, can it be auto-crossed? ;) Be sure to get plenty of videos of smoky burnouts and donuts.

Anthony, I agree, they're just not around anymore. You hardly see 3rd gens either. Kind of funny, but when I was a kid they were simply everywhere. I guess the same can be said for today's vans; there are a ton of them around, just as there used to be decades ago. But the attrition rate is damn near 100%. That's one of the appealing factors of this project for me, since they're so damn rare now.

Comment

Cant wait to see this project rolling forward ;).And if you need parts Mike..there are a lot of Econlines running around here in scandinavia.But not so much of this era vans.The one that came afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by yogreasygramma
                                Seth, I'm glad you're having the time of your life ! LOL.
                                Yep, he loves spending other peoples money and then playing with all the cool new toys before you do !!
                                ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X