The '82 Yamaha XJ1100 from hell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The '82 Yamaha XJ1100 from hell.

I got conned out of my garage space, pure and simple.

My roommate, Tonia, is on a bike kick. She purchased two bikes up in British Columbia. Then she came back to Washington and purchased this XJ1100 about a week ago now:

During the trip from Federal Way to Fort Lewis, we noticed that the trans seemed to be royally efh-ed. Well, my worst fears about this were confirmed today, as we started stripping it down. Apparently the XS/XJ series bikes have trans issues, some mild, some major...but I was not ready to see this when I pulled the clutch basket...

Look low in the case. Do you see it?

That would be the countershaft bolt. It backed itself out, then proceeded to bounce around the case for lord-knows how long. There is enough shavings in the case to be seriously worried about the engine and gears, though the bolt is nicely shaved, too.

Will update this until the bike meets the JY or is fixed..

Sorry for the huge pics. :
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: The '82 Yamaha XJ1100 from hell.

Is it cut off from the second photo? I can't see it. How does it relate to the shaft? Maybe there's hope in draining out the old oil and flushing out the schrapnel.

My dad's on a similar XS1100 kick; I picked up an XJ1100 for him recently for free (also in Vancouver).

Comment

Yeah, it is...didn't realize the pics were so damn huge. Had it compared to a basic Bic lighter for size comparo.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Photobucket can help you with the pic size.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X