• HoosierGTA
    replied
    Re: Big Motor, Little Truck. The BBR is getting fixed

They actually bought 25 ft trees ?

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

go to the store and buy a pair of cherry bomb header mufflers and a pair of 90 degree bends....

that should make it just quiet enough to piss off only the neighbors immediately on either side of you.

Don't get me started on neighbors --- ours just put up a wall of 25 foot tall spruce trees in an attempt to block the smoke from our woodstove this winter.... truly whackos!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

It runs again and it's very very very angry. I really need to get some exhaust on this thing before my neighbors lynch me. ;D

My kids love it...... not.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

perseverance is priceless!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

1 wrench customized.

Gaskets are remflex which added to the probs because they are soo fat. I ended up having to pull the driver's header and add a small clearance dent or two. Of course that meant dropping the steering shaft, removing the top shock bolt, and removing the front wheel. lol but it fit waaaaay better after. ;D

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

You're not helping my motivation to pull the clevo out of mine and try the 72 mustang headers!

How many wrenches have you "customized" for this task?

What kind of header gaskets and bolts did you use?

I'm thinking about trying stainless allen head bolts, and no gaskets - just the high heat copper RTV....

I'm really looking forward to the latest video of this thing running again!

Remember - how do you eat an elephant?

one bite at a time!

That's how I have to look at these projects, if I try to comprehend the whole thing - I get discouraged.

Leave a comment:

• HoosierGTA
    replied

Yeah, I've done 3 SBC S-10 pick-ups,Never got any easier. I did know what to do next w/o looking at the swap manual,but it never got easier. Congrats sounds like your almost back in business .

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

Headers are back on....

Oh an anything I might have said in the past about stuff being easier the second time around was a LIE.

That is all.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

any progress is good progress - you used aluminum flat stock instead of the steel I used - smart man!

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

I think I hear the four horsemen of the apocalypse.... I got to work in my shop 3 nights in a row....

:o

Made some brackets to mount the fans and tranz coolers. I used 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum flat straps to mount everything. It took a little while to get a design for the fans figured out because of the mounting tab configuration, but it seems to have turned out pretty nice. Certainly much better than the

Sooooo about all I have left to do is bolt on the headers. Unfortunately, this weekend is already filled up so I doubt I will have time to work on it.

:'(

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

SWEET!

I know it looks sort of hokey depending on the set up, but I've run flat stock, say 1" wide by 1/8" thick straps across the radiator support top to bottom or side to side, bolted in place at both ends, then bolt the coolers, fans, etc, to those.... sometimes using heater hose sliced down the side for insulators to the radiator core to prevent any rubbing issues.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

Nope not yet. I *did* work on it again last night.... all the planets must have been aligned for that to happen....

Starter, radiator, wiring and hoses, etc are all reattached. Sure goes faster the second time around. :D

I messed around with remounting the fans and transmission coolers since I didn't like the plastic zip straps. I just haven't come up with a good way to mount them yet.... Do those and the headers and she will be ready to light up again.

8) 8) 8) 8)

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

I hear you, I am NOT looking forward to pulling my whole power train - but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to have to do. The whole thing is coming out, then the new headers and engine are going back in to check fit, then the C4 in place of the busted C6, and we'll see how everything works.... that's all a winter project... that and the 8.8 install.... my truck wont even see the light of day this year.... damit.

So-- does it run yet? ;D

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied

"Video video video" that's all I hear from you intraweb mechanics... ;D ;D ;D

It's just tough to get to the motor mount bolts under the xmember because the I-beams are in the way. A whole lot of crawl under, get out, crawl under, get out..... it *really* starts to wear thin on me.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

issues with motor mount alignment?

glad to know she's back in.... where's the start up video? ;D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X