The Thunder Chicken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thunder Chicken!

After some post Drag Week bench racing and many idea's about a ride for Drag Week 2010 I have decided to build my 86 Thunderbird. The Thunderbird was my first car I bought it when I was 15 with paper route money for $275. then me and my Dad painted it added some bolt on stuff and I drove it, bracket raced it and had lot's of fun (ran 15's) with the stock 5.0 AOD and crapy 2.5? gears. Than after some years of sitting I built a 4v 351c backed it with a C6 and mosser 9inch (all taken from a failed 73 torino project) but it never really happened. So now I have a new plan, this winter I am switching it to a 4.6 3v with a Procharger and have a goal of getting into the 10's with a car that is still streetable.

Re: The Thunder Chicken!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Nice looks like a cool project.
      Get working on that roll cage .....
      ;)

Comment

Nice. Nice stance. Nice car. Nice plans. Nice.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nothing like starting back on your first car ;)
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Hope this time I can make it fast, and not hold the window up with vise grips (power window motors craped out)

Comment

They can be fast.Have fun.
              terry

Comment

what's with the fairlane in the garage?

Comment

Nice project! I've always liked that body style.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by 58yeoman
                    what's with the fairlane in the garage?
                    Car I own that means the most, was dads hot rod, grew up going to shows and the strip in it. It's the automotive equivalent of a abusive relationship can't do any thing right with it. It has a 302 with AFR heads a tricked out C4 and leaks more stuff than any car I have ever seen. Also front end is scary. I will get back to it when the bird is done (and when my ego recovers)

Comment

Sweet cars man, I envy your collection.

I hate to be a naysayer here - but why would you put a modular engine in that 'bird when they are already set up and parts available for a 302/351w??
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        Sweet cars man, I envy your collection.

I hate to be a naysayer here - but why would you put a modular engine in that 'bird when they are already set up and parts available for a 302/351w??
                        Your fleet is cool too, there are a couple reasons for the mod motor swap, This came about because my Mustang (4.6 3v with a Procharger) makes good power but the E.T.' don't show it 470 whp (10psi) and runs 12 :50's to go faster it needs a auto and 4:10 or better gears I think I will leave it a street ride. But put that combo in the Bird you loose 800 lbs the car has a 9inch a tube K meber can put a cage it with out guilt and way more traction. I want to get into the 10's so I want to make around 650hp I can with a $1200 or less 4.6 3v, swap out rods and pistons add a procharger and 18 psi of boost. I looked at making a 650hp 351c and it could be done but looked like alot of constant work. Looked at a Cleveland Windsor highbred again looked more exspencive and less drivable. A 302 would be great but would need a aftermarket block. And the final reason run 10's with 281ci thats badder asser, this is a Drag Week car yeah it may be too fast for daily driver class but out gunned in PA small block but it's what I think is cool, same reason as why are boobs good... They just are! ;D

Comment

Nice I use to have a hopped up 5 speed 88 turbo coupe

Comment

Sweet 87-88's look so damn cool if I did not have this car I would start with one of those turbo coupes, or a Mark 8 (they already have a mod motor and a 4r70w trans) but I have this already and the chassy part are already there. I need to sell off all my 351c stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERBIRD86
                              Sweet 87-88's look so damn cool if I did not have this car I would start with one of those turbo coupes, or a Mark 8 (they already have a mod motor and a 4r70w trans) but I have this already and the chassy part are already there. I need to sell off all my 351c stuff.
                              send me a PM with your 351C parts list and prices, I have a friend that's looking for some C stuff at the moment.....
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X