Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milner351
    replied
    I'm waiting to see how your electrolysis works out - always wanted to try that.

I would think a wire wheel would be fine for the majority of the axle, just be careful on splines and bearing surface.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    ever watch Alton Brown? I'm thinking you could put the axles in a cardboard box with a hotplate for a heater for a day.

Hell, I was thinking about the busted axle stub as an axle cleaner... ajax or fast orange, rubby rubby rubby?
    Last edited by Beagle; November 21, 2013, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    What do you all think about using Emery Cloth to clean up the (other) axle I was thinking that Electrolysis would remove less material than sanding off the rust.

I think the amount of matteral that I will remove will not really matter, I am the guy that puts a engine together and does not messure any of the bearing clearances, really whats a few thousandths on an axle?

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    stick it in the oven with the turkey... always keeping the women folk happy is my goal.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Oh?

Sounds like I have some reading to do.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Hey Russell, I did some looking on the electrolysis thing and the term "Hydrogen embrittlement" came up. The proposed solution to that is heating the part for a period of time to liberate the hydrogen that will accumulate during electrolysis. You might look into that before doing the axle stub as it seems like it could cause axle snap, part 2.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    No home tempering for me. I am going to leave the DRs off or at least keep my RPMs to 2000 or less until I get something with after market retained axles. I really want something with EFI Turbo that is 1979 or older. I got this car in 2004. Its been a great car. I have been wanting a classic truck. Classic truck with EFI turbo, some thing to have fun with and haul the trash off...

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Splines need to be clean, as do the bearings and the area they are pressed onto.. Rest can be rusty and just gets your oil dirty.. Less rust the better..
    Got a stub like your's longer.. Break is longer then it got hammered by the rest of the axle as he kept going..
    If what I remember.. Stock axles are only tempered part way.. Aftermarket axles are supposedly tempered thru out the part .. Your stub seems to show just surface temper.. I have heard of guys trying to temper the whole axle and have it snap easier.. Also home tempering may lead to pissed off wife when you forget to get them out of the oven...
    amended

hey Russell, if you do a search for Bob Cosby Mustang you'll see what I mean.

I kind of like the electrolysis idea, having just wasted several hours over a couple of tiny flecks of crap I couldn't see. The splines need to be pretty clean imo. I wonder if one of those gift wrapping containers would give you enough length to submerge the whole axle.
    Last edited by Beagle; November 19, 2013, 06:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Sprial Fracture! I guess even low HP stick cars hit the tires hard!

I picked a used set of axles at lunch today, they have a good bit of surface rust on them. Hope they clean up, if not I don't have much in them.

Beagle, There are at least 2 cars on the Corral top 50 fastest stock short block cars That list stock / e7 heads. So your 13.9 should be easy right?
    43. bob cosby.....11.93@110, 88coupe/stock intake heads
    47. [email protected], 3100lbs/e7/e-303/c-4/
    Splines need to be clean, as do the bearings and the area they are pressed onto.. Rest can be rusty and just gets your oil dirty.. Less rust the better..
    Got a stub like your's longer.. Break is longer then it got hammered by the rest of the axle as he kept going..
    If what I remember.. Stock axles are only tempered part way.. Aftermarket axles are supposedly tempered thru out the part .. Your stub seems to show just surface temper.. I have heard of guys trying to temper the whole axle and have it snap easier.. Also home tempering may lead to warp/bent axles...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I'm not sure but I know it'll take hair off really well. (Everybody's a comedian).

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Any reason I should not try Electrolysis to remove the rust off my new used axle ?

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    should be - but taking on Bob Cosby is not my idea of a fair competition. He's only been jacking with that car since it was new in '88 and that stock intake and heads have been ported and extrude honed.
    I do not know anything about Bob, I only use the corral for trouble shooting and used parts! Just trying to stir you up. So when is going to be running?

Dad's 90LX was owned by a guy I went to high school with. It won alot of races (mostly HS kids) back in the late 90's he told me it was a consistant 9.0 @ 80 mph car with a few times in the 8.90s. As far as i know always on street tires. From the out side you could see CAI, O/R H-pipe, had 3.73 gears, E303 cam. When we where trying to get it to run 140 at Maxton we switch the intake to an Explorer intake and 65mm TB and 2.73 gears. Did not really run any better in the mile. I noticed that the TB had been bored out to 63mm I need to look closer at that intake wonder if its has any grinder marks.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post

I picked a used set of axles at lunch today, they have a good bit of surface rust on them. Hope they clean up, if not I don't have much in them.

Beagle, There are at least 2 cars on the Corral top 50 fastest stock short block cars That list stock / e7 heads. So your 13.9 should be easy right?
    should be - but taking on Bob Cosby is not my idea of a fair competition. He's only been jacking with that car since it was new in '88 and that stock intake and heads have been ported and extrude honed.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied

Last edited by Russell; November 18, 2013, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Russell is very even tempered. His axle shaft apparently not.

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X