X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1989 Mustang, Driver / Drag / LSR

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
    Russell,

Are you using the cam I sent? If so that is a roller and just use a good quality oil....If not and you are using a flat tappet....I recommend Joe Gibbs racing Oil....You need to let a hyd flat tappet cam break in for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm.....then change the oil and you are good to go.

Seth
    my mustang has a new stock cam in it. i dont need to break it in right?

Comment

Roller cam....no. Flat tappet...yes
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
        Did you use end gaskets or RTV front and back?

if RTV - I would wait a few hours or over night before doing the final torque - to give the sealer a chance to cure before you compress it completely - especially when it's cold out.

it's pretty common to make a few passes through the torque sequence to get an intake to seal - those gaskets compress quite a bit against the heads, and given all the surface area, it takes a few passes to get it to seat.

If you are using a big torque wrench and it's close to it's low limit - maybe a good idea not to trust it - try a beam type for lower torque ranges (as I recall intake bolts are about 20lb ft - my 1/2" click torque wrench low limit is 25lb ft)
        I used both. my felpro kit came with rubber ends I put a good amount in the corners and a thin layer on each side. My 1/2" low is 20 lbs, I think I was going to 24. I have been thinking about buying a inch pound wrench, anybody know where to get a good one for reasonable cost.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Waiting on a response on the inch/lb torque wrench. I need one too and would like an old-fashioned deflecting beam unit. They're the way to go for measuring preload on pinion setups, rotating torque on a crankshaft, etc.

Dan

Comment

I think I bought mine at Sears for small change.

Comment

Ebay! Picked up a limited edition Jesse Jame MAC torque wrench set (contained two torque wrenchs in a case). I think I paid 100.00 and it was a new set.

Comment

Got the engine and trans back in the car today! Now I just got to put everything back on the engine to make it run.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Vrooommmmm !!!! Good job - hope all works well. See you in April?

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan, yes I plan on being there in April, hopefully driving the mustang on the track, got most of the wiring hocked back up today and a few other things. The big things left are upper intake, accessories, drive shaft, and exhaust I work slow so one or two more weekend and I hope it will be running!

Random pics

I thought it was very clean for 135k mile motor

HO on the left GT40P on the right

Which intake cover should I use the mustang HO or the Explorer? the only HO spec parts on the motor is the cam and valve covers.

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I am replacing the throttle body w/ a BBK 65mm the only thing is i got it second hand and it does not have a ball stud to hook to the throttle linkage. Where can I buy one?

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

There's a speed shop in Fayetteville with lots of 5.0 stuff - I'm not pulling the name up right now. I bought some stuff for the 'Stang there and they were extra helpful. Greenstuff has a buddy in the Raleigh area who does a lot of Mustang work but I don't know what he has for parts - might be worth a PM for the phone number. Also, there's a dyno guy in Raleigh with an iffy reputation (folks claim he tends to blow 'em up) but seems like they have some 5.0 bits - again, Dave will know how to contact them.

I have an Accufab but I bought it new so it was complete. Not sayin' it's good, it's just there.

Dan

Comment

Got the mustang running today, I think it is making at least as much power as the old motor. It is making ticking noise sounds like its coming from the top end. I thought the rockers were non adjustable. Any Ideas?

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Ran the 89 on the 1/4 yesterday, Drove it to the track beat on it hard and drove it home so that was a success. Made 11 passes best was a 14.42 at 97.89 that was with a sucky 2.35 60 foot it is very hard for me to get out of the hole on one leg with crappy street tires. I was hoping it would do better the 1/8 time was 9.35 which is not much better than I did on the old motor and this one has "better" heads and intake. Its time to rebuild the Trac Loc before going back to the drag strip I think there are a few tenth in traction to be had....

Anyone want to guess what 97mph in the 1/4 will get me in the mile?

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

135?

Seth
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I had a real hard time getting traction with my '90 even with 3.55 gears, fresh trac-loc, and bfg drag radials.

If the gt40-p engine is ticking after sitting a while - run some marvel mystery oil and see if that helps - it's one of the few "snake oil" type things that actually works - it can work wonders on a sticky hydraulic lifter.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X