1989 Mustang, Driver / Drag / LSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Mustang, Driver / Drag / LSR

Hey I have met some of you at Maxton and started reading this forum, I wanted to join in. I am getting ready to swap engines in my car, it has 230k miles (I put the last 40k on it before that I don't know) my daily commute is 100 miles. The valves float over 4000 rpms and the oil pressure is all over the place (stock gauge) My goal is to still be able to drive this car everyday get at least as good gas mileage as it does now (22-24), run 139.99 in the mile, and be able to bracket race it if I want, all on a low budget. On the current set up it has run 131 at Maxton, and 9.40s at Dunn Benson. The car currently has as far as I know a stock 5.0 with some boltons, T5 and 3.08 I have a junk yard explorer engine with GT40P heads and egr intake; I was told it had 130k miles. If I can get away with it I would like to put a new oil pump, HO cam and put it in the car and run it. Is there any harm in taking the main and rod caps off to look at the bearings? I have heard that the valve springs were not the best on these heads should I change them if I am only using the stock HO cam? Any comments or suggestions on getting a junk engine running will be great.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Re: 1989 Mustang, Daily Driver / Drag / LSR

This article in MM&FF seem right up your ally, your heads are different but the rest is the same. Good luck sounds like good goals and a fun project.http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ine/index.html

Comment

The people you met at maxton, did they wander around looking for ice wearing event staff shirts? Maybe get in and out of a really ugly camero. ;D

Welcome to the site. Lets see some picks.

On the bearings, sure open her up. Just be careful when you tap the caps loose. It might not tell you much more than cutting apart the filter/ cleaning out the pan.

You might want to replace the springs if you are going to rev it (it is what the 302 is going to want). Hopefully the ford guys will chime in with suggestions.

Steve
      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

What do I know? I pulled the 5.0 out of mine and put in a 5.8 w/Edelbrock heads. It ran 131.2 at part throttle - the AOD won't stay locked up at WOT. I decided not to get the lock-up valve body as the car's a convert and just doesn't make sense for LSR.

Milner (John) is the guy we want to sign in here - he carries the PN's around in his head (which is SICK, not in a good way).

Dan

Comment

Definitely replace valve springs. Check out the internals before putting the motor in. Other than that.... let it fly. With the 3.08s you should be able to do 140. Oh and you might have some trouble with the headers. Those P heads usually require a specific header, but some people have done it with non- P specific headers.
          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

He can't do 140 w/o at least a 6 point roll bar. I suggest the Maximum Motorsports bar which can be made removable and passes tech if properly installed. Basically a bolt in in a sedan. Otherwise he gets a ride in Keith's truck - NOT a good thing.

Dan

Comment

Thunderbird86, thanks for the link i have that mag, love your car my 1st car was an 85 chicken

rightpedal, are you talking about the firecracker? its not ugly its just missing Tags. Whats the best way to cut open a filter with out the special tool?

Dan, I also have a GT vert with a AOD but mine is stock, I had to have it rebuilt after a WOT run in OD

cantvalve16, I have heard about the header issue i have my fingers crossed I can get mine to work.

Any suggestions on what valve springs to buy for the P heads?

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

hmmmm
                this all sounds familiar.

Seth or I may have one of the 303 cams for you - it would save us the time of listing them on ebay.

You undoubtedly need different headers for the P heads - there's volumes of info out there, the headers are available, just harder to find, you'll also want good plug wires and probably heat protection sleeves on them near the plugs.

You'll want the trickflow spring kit, comes with springs, retainers, locks, seals, shims, etc, I paid $133 at summit for mine a week or so ago.

What do you have for exhaust? 2.5" pipes with an X crossover would help, as would good mufflers and a fresh set of O2 sensors.

I can probably hook you up with a low mile set of stock 19lb injectors while you have it apart.... I feel a package deal coming here - any chance you'll be at BSEAST? ;D
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

milner351, I like the idea of having a more powerful cam but i really don't want to lose any low end. what do you have? I have heard mixed reviews on the TFS some have said they need extra shims and the locks are not the best. I have headers 2.5" h pipe with cats, and flows. It has a 73mm mass air, I have a 65 TB that i will put on the new engine. it currently has a big cone air filter on the mass air. My 93 has one of the chrome air intake that goes into the fender I have been debating on switching them. I was thinking about using the 19 lbs from the explorer engine. What where when is the bseast?

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Alright.....Russell.....are you the Dad or the Son? I am terrible with names.....

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I am the Son, my car is black. Dad (Graham) has the red car. I am very bad with names.

The back window broke on my 93 vert anybody know how to put in a new one or want to buy it thinking about putting it on craigslist.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

I have a B303 for sale - the ford racing website has a table that shows all the cam specs, etc.

The B as I recall is the first step above stock.

Check out the BS FEST EAST thread in the general forum for more details on the great time to be had by all next weekend at Beaversprings dragway in PA.....

Comment

Are you the two guys camping by the gate? I really like the Luke's car I'm just giving the guys crap. A pair of snips works the casing is thin. I just puncture with a flat blade screw driver and interchange green and yellow handles until I butchered the casing off. I tried it once with a sawzall and there was a lot of metal. ;D

PS Say hi in October I will probably be at the gate with Kim.

Steve
                          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

milner351, I will not be going to PA I will be in Henderson at a car show or helping Dad but headers on his car.

Steve, Yes thats us camping, You think its think an oil filter is thin enought for a normal can opener to cut it?

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

try a big pipe cutter - like those you use for copper or iron pipe, but a big one.

shouldn't leave any "shrapnel" inside....

got any pipe fitter buddies?

Comment

Working...
                              X