1989 Mustang, Driver / Drag / LSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1989 Mustang, Daily Driver / Drag / LSR

Those roller chain cutters for exhaust pipe are supposed to work pretty well too, but I've never actually used one. I fought my way thru the last one with an air chisel and it worked sort of OK. I thought of a whizzer wheel on the die grinder but came to my senses and realized it was gonna get crap everywhere and leave the filter unreadable (you probably already figured that out but I had to think on it).

Dan

Comment

For all of you who haven't met Russell or his Dad....They are quite simply great people.

The first time I met them was on the starting line at Maxton. They were driving Graham's Mustang and really thrashing on it.....They went back and forth all day being faster than each other and both got progressively faster....And the car got beaten hard and came back asking for more... This isn't drag racing either, they were giving it hell for a full mile...Keep in mind that they drove the mustang there. It made my weekend watching them thrash on the ole' Fox Body.....I think they had to change the water pump gasket, but that ain't bad for as hard as they drove it. I am truly impressed by that car. Both Russell and Graham are good people and some of the people I look forward to seeing each trip to Maxton.

See you guys soon,

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Seth,

Thanks for the compliments, yeah Dad's car popped the water pump gasket in May, he limped it home and we replace it. At the June meet we replaced it twice at the track, before the Sept. meet Dad put in a new thermostat and it ran great with no problems. The plan is to put headers on Dad's car before Oct meet hopefully it will pick it up a little. I am really looking forward to getting my car back on the track! The plan it to have my new junk yard engine in for April!

Russell
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

I hope to take more pictures of my JY engine later this week and post them next week, now that I got the Mark VIII I this more than likely will not be my DD but it will always be a street car.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

pulled my JY explorer engine down to a short block last week, I was very happy to see very little to no slug and the cross hatch still on the cylender walls. The rear main bearing showing brass so it will get rings and bearings. Where does everyone get there rebuild kits from?

I put it back together finger tight to keep up with everything this is how it sits now

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Looks good Russell....I have a good box to ship the cam in now so I will try to get it out this week..

I am still looking for the shifter.

This might work....give him a call and I can send it along with the cam.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/pts/1418036374.html

Seth
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I know a little late but...

Gheto tech but it works.

The new ride.

Russel in red and his pop is fixin the dog.

Good to see you again. Are you going to install the safety gear to go 150?

Steve
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Great pic, Steve. In the background are Bill (the one with the beard) who has the original Rustang (our points winner a couple of years back) and Kim, his sweetie and our Queen of the Gate. If you come to Maxton the first person you'll meet is Kim - or Steve, who often works as her right-hand man. I don't know the name of the guy with his arms crossed.

Dan

Comment

I have not done anything but I have been looking at parts, going to take 2 weeks off at christmas hope to rebuild the JY engine. I wanted to know what you thought of my parts list.

ARP 154-3601 - ARP High Performance Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits

Cylinder Head Bolts, High Performance, Hex Head, Ford, 289-302, with Stock, Edelbrock Performer, RPM Heads

Part Number: ARP-154-3601

Estimated Ship Date: Today
                    Transaction$39.95 Update

Edelbrock 7811 - Edelbrock Performer-Link True Roller Timing Chain Sets

Timing Chain and Gear Set, Performer-Link, Double Roller, Iron/Steel Sprockets, Ford, Small Block, Set

Part Number: EDL-7811

Transaction$46.50 Update

Federal Mogul 2056214M-000 - Federal Mogul Engine Re-Ring Kits

Engine Re-Ring, Moly, 4.000 in. Bore, Standard Rod, Standard Main, Ford, 5.0L, Kit

Part Number: FEM-2056214M-000

Transaction$208.99 Update

Ford Racing M-6316-M50 - Ford Racing Crankshaft Damper Assemblies

Harmonic Balancer, with Timing Pointer, External Balance, Nodular Iron, Black, Ford 1981-95, 5.0L, Set

Part Number: FMS-M-6316-M50

Transaction$64.95 Update

Ford Racing M-6600-M50 - Ford Racing Standard Volume Oil Pumps

Oil Pump, Standard-Volume, Ford, 221/255/260/289/302, Each

Part Number: FMS-M-6600-M50

Transaction$19.95 Update

RAM Automotive BA50M - RAM Pilot Bushings

Pilot Bearing, Steel, Roller, Ford, Each

Part Number: RAM-BA50M

Transaction$12.69 Update

I am looking at getting these valve springs form this random guy off ebay? what do you think?

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I didn't see a hipo oil pump driveshaft on the list - a WAY good investment. Couple more thoughts - the Maximum Motorsports roll cage kit fits well and can be pretty easily bolted in and out. A little pricey but worth it - mine passed tech easily. The guy at ARP steered me away from their head stud kit and suggested bolts instead. Reason - with my 5.8 you can't get the heads off in chassis unless you unscrew all the studs. I wouldn't have thunk of that. Not sure with the low deck motor.

Call if you want a hand - ME drives to Raleigh most Fridays for her violin lesson so I can tag along.

Have fun
                      Dan

Comment

Re: 1989 Mustang, Driver / Drag / LSR

I can add an oil pump shaft:

Ford Racing M-6605-B302 - Ford Racing Oil Pump Driveshafts

Oil Pump Driveshaft, Ford 1987-95, 5.0L, Each

Part Number: FMS-M-6605-B302

Transaction$16.95 Update

I may look into the cage this summer want to make sure it runs first, I am not as opposed to it now that I using the Lincoln for my Daily commute. I am going with head bolts not studs, I would just use the OE bolts but i read that they are torque to yield in the explorer motors.

The car and motor are at Dads house, my house in Raleigh has worlds smallest one car garage (my F-150 will not longer fit due to added shelves) if you want to come the extra 75 miles NW to Dad's you are more than welcome.

Are the Federal Mogul, and Sealed Power Gaskets / Rings Good?

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I've had good luck with Fel-Pro Blue head gaskets and I know folks who swear by Cometic. The rings should be fine - I just have no experience with their head gaskets (they may be fine). Where's Dad's place? I'm in Wilmington.

Dan

Comment

That gasket and ring kit should be fine....I have seen nothing but good quality out of those kits...

Keep us posted.

Seth
                            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Well I just got my self my Christmas present! Summit order should be here on the 9th!

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Did not get as much done on the mustang as I wanted to over Christmas vacation but me and my wife did get 99.9% done with our custom made grill project camera died after one picture I will take more later if anyone wants to see more.

I did get the short block "slapped" back together I say this because I am lazy, light bottle brush on the cylinders and only checked the piston ring gaps everything else went back in with new std size bearings. I am going to be able to work on it the next 2 weekends so I wanted to get everyones opinion on break in oil and procedure. I have a bottle of crane cam break in additive sitting around I could put in, the Lucas break in additive said it can harm cats. What about Royal Purple Brake in? but they did not have it on the shelf at the local advance auto know who carries it?

Now for another can of worms what is the best break in procedure? baby it or run the wee out of it? I have heard both, I would like to know what you think.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X