No announcement yet.

Remy's '81 Mirada CMX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing I could have done then, it'd have sat another two years. It may have been better in the long run but at the time it had to go, so that chapter is closed.

The Mirada has been surprise after nasty surprise. Seeing how I've eclipsed the budget, the $5K build, I might as well go full-kill now and finish up a solid car. The Mirada needs serious rust repair, that's evident a few pages back when I had SuperBuickGuy try to weld up the gaping holes in the roof rather unsuccessfully. The dash is an electrician's nightmare, namely this electrician. It'd be easier to have a good body and solid interior than to have a haphazard interior and an absolutely thrashed body.

It's not so much an Imperial, though that is my first idea for replacing it. It's having a much more stable platform than the Mirada has been. It's a miracle in the time I was driving it that it did not catch fire or have a suspension collapse. I know of one roadworthy Imperial an hour south of me for north of $1100. Paint it black, has grey leather. I've got outstanding running gear and suspension now. Meet the two, and it'd be great. I have Bobbo scouting a Cordoba for me (don't laugh.) If worst comes to it, I've discussed with J and R what to do to make it survive to AZ. Hell, I might brace the body and hack the roof off...at this point, what do I have left to lose? I'm all but bent that this car is getting a new, non-vinyl topped shell. So we'll see...
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• My Impala's wiring is a disaster and the body rusted out. Still, I have fun with it.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• From the master of underestimation. Your Impy regularly cruises interstate, hauls ass and looks cool. My Mirada barely can cover one of those three.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• you want electrical nightmare i present my Merc. ex-police car wiringing trashed took me 5 months to wire in a radio becuase i had to redo every thing from the under hood fuse box forward. along the way i got dashlights, interior lights, 3rd brake light, cruise, turn signals, highbeams, horn, interior clock, remote mirrors, and the factory anti-theft system all working just to install a radio.

pulled out 20lbs of useless wiring from when it had lights, strobs, and siren. had to fix wires that where cut when they ripped that junk out and i currently still only have wipers that work at one speed and the drivers door will not lock with the power lock

when i did fix the wiring i remebered why i hate ex-police cars and wondered how it did not burst into flame.
          Last edited by Mater; March 25, 2012, 11:13 PM.
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

• Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
            From the master of underestimation. Your Impy regularly cruises interstate, hauls ass and looks cool. My Mirada barely can cover one of those three.
            Why can't it? If it starts, runs, and stops; there is no reason why it can't cruise down the road.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

Comment

• Now you're talking!
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

• Twelve days and counting until I see it in person, running...here's hoping...I'm sweating significantly.

An update, due to the leanburnectomy, the car is now sporting MSD Ignition.

I will update the entire list once I get my hands on it.

...IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!

Comment

• will this be the wedding mobile?

I spent a couple months of free time getting the '54 belair ready for us to drive on our wedding day - thankfully it only need a carb rebuild, points conversion, water pump, all the brakes and brake lines, a battery and tires.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      will this be the wedding mobile?
                      You can find my body in the pond next to her house...

Comment

• Is that a chrome waterneck? 3..2..1... to leaking. haha looks good!
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Actually, I don't think it is. I've seen "J"s work before on other engines, he doesn't mess around a bit. The chrome valvecovers are my stepdad's line of thinking, and I'm just waiting for them to leak...lol

Comment

• not leaking, marking its territory
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Shows who's boss.

Comment

• looks like the steel one i used on my diplomat

never should have sold that car or at least not to the erson that bought it. it wasa great car then after 2 weeks it was in the junk yard burning oil with a rod knock and the rear quarter bashed in
                                Last edited by Mater; April 27, 2012, 07:44 AM.
                                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                                X