My 409/'55 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 409/'55 Chevy Project

That is a beauty alright! Dumb guy question, that's for roller lifters right? (I think the card says so......)
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
      That is a beauty alright! Dumb guy question, that's for roller lifters right? (I think the card says so......)
      Yes Randall, that is correct.

Comment

Yeah SB........forgot to mention that.
        Solid roller.

Always like input and thoughts from the group.
        This special grind thing is a first for me.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by min301
          Yes Randall, that is correct.
          Thanks Billl
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

A MAN'S CAM - square lobe means roller

Comment

I'm really diggen this car.

I'm a closet, tri Five fan.

Mine would look like Project "X", but maybe not THAT color.
              Same theme, stance, yada, yada...

Mine would be a 500ci+ BBC.
              I dig the 409 though...

Comment

The cam looks good. Nasty, but streetable.

I always wanted to build a copy of Falfa's 55. Although they never say what's under the hood of his '55 in the movie. I've always imagined it was a nasty 409. The movie takes place in 1962. By that time the 409's were readily available. I'd have certain modernizing. Disc brakes up front, an efi converted Hilborn. In the back, 15x10 chrome reversed rims under subtle mini tubs.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

I always wanted to build a copy of Falfa's 55. Although they never say what's under the hood of his '55 in the movie. I've always imagined it was a nasty 409. The movie takes place in 1962. By that time the 409's were readily available. I'd have certain modernizing. Disc brakes up front, an efi converted Hilborn. In the back, 15x10 chrome reversed rims under subtle mini tubs.
                  Hey Scott
                  Go snoopin around Petaluma and see what
                  you can find out.......Falfa's car was bitchin
                  ;D
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

if the Falfa car was the two lane car, then it had a big block and 4 wheel disks....but who knows....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      if the Falfa car was the two lane car, then it had a big block and 4 wheel disks....but who knows....

Yes, but the car is a character. This is what I believe the character had, not the car playing the part had. Understand where I coming from?
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel

Yes, but the car is a character. This is what I believe the character had, not the car playing the part had. Understand where I coming from?
                        Totally understand where your comin from.

Having gone through that era..........I can't remember one decent paint job but under the
                        hood was a different story...........409's were the engine to have if you were a Chevy guy.
                        I had two 348's........they were fairly cheap, easy to install but didn't have the balz the 409 did.
                        Thom

Comment

Loving this project :D There ain't much that can beat the cool factor a w motored and man pedal equipped 55 8)

Comment

Pretty cramshaft (that's what I thought they were as a kid, I figured it was how you crammed air/fuel into the engine). Did I miss the rocker ratio? The rockers look like a shorter ratio than the 1.73's on my six (really BBC) but how can you tell by lookin'?

Dan

Comment

I've always imagined the same thing when watching that movie, 409 powered 55 with 3 pedals. Reb, 65 was the last year for the 409 so it would be totally appropriate to put on in your '65 too :D.

Comment

Dan, usually there's a little number cast on them

as far as what the black 55 had in it....327 and 409 were both kind of new at the time, probably pricy, but it looks like Falfa had some money, so either one would be likely.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X