No announcement yet.

My 409/'55 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I got my clutch pedal upgrade this week.

I purchased it from Danchuk........turns out it was Earle Williams
    set up anyway.
    They had a learning curve to go through......sending me the right
    parts.
    Really didn't need the spring but the sent it.

Here's what I got.......I thought I was going to have to remove the whole
    peddle assembly to install.
    Turns out not.....this should be pretty simple.
    Will change it out when we pull tranny and install new clutch
    and pressure plate this winter.

I like the splined end on the clutch shaft and the heim joints on the push rod.

Had 'em all powder coated yesterday.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• nice , you aren't running a hydraulic ?

Comment

• Real men have mechanical clutch linkage.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• haha , I swore off them years ago
          Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; September 23, 2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Tell ya the truth......didn't even think about
            a hydraulic clutch when we were building the car.

Always had mechanical.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Thom, you'll like the rod ends on the linkage. I made my own when I swapped in a 4 speed on my 66 Mustang. I'm also sealed bearings on the pedal hanger too. The bearings are for lawn tractors. I showed the stock linkage for comparison. I ditched the heavy factory clutch pedal spring like yours and used a much lighter one source from Autozone just to take up any free play. A lot of Mustang guys totally do away with that spring when using a diaphragm plate like I am. My set up works nice and smooth, no regrets.

As squirrel said, real men use mechanical linkage.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post

As squirrel said, cave men use mechanical linkage.
                there, fixed it for you
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Using a good old mechanical linkage on the Javelin too. I replaced the link from the z-bar to the clutch fork with a rod-end. I may do the main shaft this winter. I have no issue at all with the old mechanical setup, pressure is very reasonable with the 500 HP pressure plate Hanlon motorsports recommended.

Based on my experience I've been wondering why everybody is going through the hassle of a hydraulic clutch, maybe it's just a fashion statement that all the hip folks are doing;)?
                  Last edited by mike343sharpstick; September 27, 2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• big tube headers and engine swaps and you find the mechanical linkage gets in the way

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                      Thom, you'll like the rod ends on the linkage. I made my own when I swapped in a 4 speed on my 66 Mustang. I'm also sealed bearings on the pedal hanger too. The bearings are for lawn tractors. I showed the stock linkage for comparison. I ditched the heavy factory clutch pedal spring like yours and used a much lighter one source from Autozone just to take up any free play. A lot of Mustang guys totally do away with that spring when using a diaphragm plate like I am. My set up works nice and smooth, no regrets.

As squirrel said, real men use mechanical linkage.

Wow........just getting around to the thread ..........great job!
                      I'll be anxious to see how clutch feels when I get it done.
                      Thom

Comment

• Well my buddy got the shoebox up on the rack last week.........he called me with the good
                        news.......my rear main wasn't leaking.

It was two of the three oil plugs around the rear of the block around the cam.

We think that the TFE paste got washed out with the hot oil.......re installed them with
                        teflon tape.

Also installed a new set of Monroe overload shocks..........much better than the air shocks.
                        Less wheel hop when I really get into it.

Headers are off for another go around.........we had to re do some of the bends to better
                        clear steering and starter.
                        Welds getting cleaned up and will be blasted and sent back to coaters.

New rear shocks

Oil leak coming from this area behind flywheel

Thom

Comment

• Congrats on the magazine feature and making the calender well deserved now go enjoy that build!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pro Fleetline View Post
                            Congrats on the magazine feature and making the calender well deserved now go enjoy that build!
                            I made the calendar?
                            Thom

Comment

• Yeh they had an insert 2012 calender with the mag all wrap in that dont open me plastic they put the mags in on the shelf nice calender actually congrats again on a well deserved build!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pro Fleetline View Post
                                Yeh they had an insert 2012 calender with the mag all wrap in that dont open me plastic they put the mags in on the shelf nice calender actually congrats again on a well deserved build!
                                Yeah........what a surprise........they didn't tell me that I was going to be
                                Miss April!

I finally found some issues on the rack during my travels this week.

What a humbling experience.
                                I was glad to see the car in ink just so everyone involved got
                                their due.
                                It was a team effort.

My nieces husband, who built my headers, didn't get the mention I'd would've liked
                                but he's cool about the whole thing.
                                Thom

Comment

Working...
                                X