No announcement yet.

My 409/'55 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just saw in the local paper shop magazine by my place in PA, some one is selling a 425 HP, 409 intake manifold with carbs for $2800.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• A few nights back I was at a concert listening to some old guys sing about your engine, great stuff!
      Seems like all the work is done now, are you having fun driving the beast this summer?
      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; July 6, 2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        I figured out why there are 36 pages on this car....according to the instructions, SPECIAL CUTTING AND FITTING WILL BE REQUIRED TO FIT THE "409" ENGINE TO THE "55" CHEVY
        Special cutting and fitting........plus more special cutting and fitting.

The headers is where the real work and fitment was done.

I've been in touch with a West Coast header vendor who is going to try and
        fab up a set of headers for a W install into a Tri 5.
        Seems the setup is getting to be more popular.

Interesting article Jim.
        Thanks.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I figured out why there are 36 pages on this car....according to the instructions, SPECIAL CUTTING AND FITTING WILL BE REQUIRED TO FIT THE "409" ENGINE TO THE "55" CHEVY
          Wait a minute! I think I had to cut and fit to get that 409 to fit in the Revell '55 I built in the '70's.

Comment

• uh....where do you think I got those instructions?
            Attached Files
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                A few nights back I was at a concert listening to some old guys sing about your engine, great stuff!
                Seems like all the work is done now, are you having fun driving the beast this summer?
                Fun to drive and see reaction at car events......everyone does a double take
                when they see the W motor.
                Have to explain it to many of the young folk.

Gas stations love me.............6-8 mpg........but hey, I didn't build a Prius.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• I drove this 55 from KY to CA in 1982 while I was in the Navy, traded it for a 61 Olds Starfire then went to Mopars... Don't know if i ever got to post it or not. 283 4 speed Q jet carb 3:36 gear 20 mpg driving out here.
                  Last edited by NASBackyard; July 15, 2012, 06:47 PM.
                  61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

• Originally posted by NASBackyard View Post
                    I drove this 55 from KY to CA in 1982 while I was in the Navy, traded it for a 61 Olds Starfire then went to Mopars... Don't know if i ever got to post it or not. 283 4 speed Q jet carb 3:36 gear 20 mpg driving out here.
                    Nice!! Was that the stock color combo?
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      Nice!! Was that the stock color combo?
                      I think India Ivory was the only other color combination used
                      with Onyx Black..........other than maybe White.
                      Could be wrong.

Good story about the shoebox.
                      Thom

Comment

• YOu could get Glacier Blue over Skyline Blue, sort of like this since Glacier is pretty dark, and Skyline is a sky blue. but that shade of blue is not original, and they didn't put black over anything but white.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• I'm really gettin the itch to install straight axle on the shoebox.
                          Not sure if I just need another project 'cause it's done or I've been looking at too many gassers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowlingreen1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	864749
                          Thom

Comment

• what's the matter, does it ride too nice now?
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

what's the matter, does it ride too nice now?
                              No kidding. Does taking corners faster than 5 mph suck?
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Ok...........maybe I'll just swap out the mufflers.
                                Last edited by Monk; October 30, 2012, 03:42 AM.
                                Thom

Comment

Working...
                                X