My 409/'55 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice.

Are these the arms that give more caster? If So what’s your opinion on how it drives now versus before and whether they are only desirable with power steering?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      Very nice.

Are these the arms that give more caster? If So what’s your opinion on how it drives now versus before and whether they are only desirable with power steering?
      Yeah...5 deg more caster
      I’ve got manual steering and was told by some
      that my steering would be harder
      Just the opposite I think.....steers great
      Drives much better....they say these are a must for power steering
      I was surprised how bad the other front end parts were .... all Moog stuff now and Timken
      bearings in rotors
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• My 57 has a manual box, not stock 57.. Was on the car when I got it.. Steered very easy even with G-60-14's
        Have 15's up front now near stock since I added disc brakes and the rims I had rubbed..
        Hope to get nicer ones. Got life in the way tho..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          My 57 has a manual box, not stock 57.. Was on the car when I got it.. Steered very easy even with G-60-14's
          Have 15's up front now near stock since I added disc brakes and the rims I had rubbed..
          Hope to get nicer ones. Got life in the way tho..
          I upgraded the idler arm to the one that has the bearings in it..........usually referred to has the 'poor mans power steering'
          I like the road feel of the manual steering........early on I was having issues with my 500 box and driving wasn't much fun

You still have your '57?

Idler Arm With Bearings

Click image for larger version

Name:	idler arm.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1193416
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• SO good to see new posts, Thom! The '55 looks GREAT and excellent that you got the front end acting like you like.

Every time I check the OP in Mutt you come to mind - thanks again.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk View Post

I upgraded the idler arm to the one that has the bearings in it..........usually referred to has the 'poor mans power steering'
              I like the road feel of the manual steering........early on I was having issues with my 500 box and driving wasn't much fun

You still have your '57?

Idler Arm With Bearings

Click image for larger version

Name:	idler arm.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1193416
              Yes I do.. Have a Painless wiring kit to install this summer.. Since the kids are not going to do demolition derbys this year, plan to do the 57. I do drive it, but a few things need made better..
              Your car was why I first found Bangshift... Lost the link, then a son of a fellow driver post about the sand hill climbs in the middle east, I kept the link and been here ever since..

Comment

Working...
              X