No announcement yet.

My 409/'55 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys i got the car this weekend and it is freaking amazing on how good it looks. Not a fan of black paint but man this paint job is amazing. You have to see it in person to realize how good it looks. The car in general is just kick ass. Hate to even get in the car or work around it. Also runs like a scalded cat. Anyways my 2 cents.

Comment

• Man, that then and now photo pair is the shit!!!!

Too neat!
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Junior is being to kind........he's started out re doing a couple of tubes on
        the headers for me.

Ended up sending me an email giving me a laundry list of stuff that
        needs fixed and the car ain't leaving his hands until they are.

His wife (my niece) will probably kick my ass for the time
        he's spending working on it.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Hey Thom, you did an outstanding job on the 55. It's "Boss"

Tommy
          sigpic
          Formerly known as Tommy

Comment

• Those pics are amazing then & now just good stuff and fitting for an amazing build, Congrats

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY2 View Post

(extra points if someone can tell me who created this cartoon)
              Walter Lantz

Comment

• The now and then photos are terrific. Great stuff.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Been doing some work on the '55..........hoping to get to Louisville in a couple of weeks.

Had the front seat re done......for some reason I ended up with a taper on the
                  top panel in front seat.
                  We re upholstered that area and made the top panel more uniform all the way across.
                  I think it looks much better.......installed a set of functional seat belts in charcoal.

before

after

Had some leaking issues with valve covers.....tried two sets of Eddy 3/8 gaskets
                  and both of them leaked. Manufactured a little too large.

Bought a set of 3/8 cork gaskets from 409 vendor and installed set of Mr. Gasket spreaders & valve cover studs.
                  End of leaks.
                  The originals are really pretty small as you can see in the comparison.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• went from the 283 part to the 396 part, eh?

Looking good!
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• very nice monk!! this was an epic read, this would have taken most people years to build!!! a super cool car!!!
                      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

• I guess this should read.....'one thing leads to another'

Buddy of mine who, builds custom radiators as a side business, drops by
                        the house last month to look my radiator over.
                        I wanted the flanges reversed to jetison the large adapter flanges.

He says........lets build one from scratch.
                        I says.....ok........how much?
                        He says........$440
                        I says hold on......call a friend of mine who was interested in my current radiator.
                        Says he'll take it for $250, with the flanges.

So for $190 I got me a shiny new custom radiator with much better cooling
                        capacity. Looks like twice the fins.
                        Also has custom mounting bar on front side for my shroud and extended lower snout.

I'll post up before and after pics.

Also will be replacing a leaking power steering reservoir..........hoping to get all buttoned
                        up so I can get to Louisville next Friday.

New aluminum radiator

Power steering reservoir

Thom

Comment

• Tweaking is a good thing Monk - have a safe trip next week.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

• very nice, I get excited when I see this thread at the top...this car gets better and better...when I get rich I want to pay Monk to build me a clone....I am lazy like that.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Better hurry up - Monk's aging, just like the rest of us.

Dan

Comment

• Got the new radiator in yesterday.......and I like the looks
                                of the new one.
                                Got rid of lots of the clutter in front.

Wasn't as easy as I thought it would be......went through 4 t-shirts
                                working in the heat and humidity.

Before

After

Thom

Comment

Working...
                                X