"Rattruck Roadster"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rattruck Roadster"

so its not in my nature to build a pile of crap... but after the hotrod hoedown last month.. i got the bug... i've done alot of "traditional" rods and kustoms, suede paint, etc... but this time i went for the spares and scrap pile... i happened to have a 79 olds delta 88 a friend gave me over the summer- cold a/c and plush interior... but a little sorry looking on the outside... was gonna be a 350 olds donor for my skylark conv't... but with the rat bug- i scoured the yard- had a 54 new yorker in the lineup as a hemi donor for a 54 conv't, and the bed off a 56 F100 i was involved with from a friend...

so i unbolted all the body mounts, unwired and un-plumbed everything- [after driving it in the garage for teardown and one last ride around the block as a 79 olds] pushed it out in my yard and rolled the body off the frame. then i brought the 54 ny'er 'round back for operation cowl cut.... and door jamb cut.... a pair of 54 desoto doors were used as the ny'er doors need to donate a few items to the conv't...

here's the cowl cut on the olds frame... and the next steps of the build....

and the back of the cab is the roof of the chrysler sectioned and skinned over 3/4 EMT framework- the trans tunnel is the hood of the olds, formed around 2 different sized trees...

and fast fwd to paint and finalized roadster- notice the frameless windshield... or flipped rear glass from a desoto.. tail lites are from my 51 buick

here's the link to the photobucket for all the pics, all out of order of course.. but some neat stuff going on along the way... first time out today- and since the last uploaded pics at about noon- i put on my flamethrowin stacks and bent the exhaust.. drove about 15 miles or so in the dark- i have blinkers, 4-way hazards, and all working gauges!!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Re: "Rattruck Roadster"

Yer a sick dog! MY kind of sick dog. This could be finished into a cute car if you wanted but is plenty cool just as it is, and I'm not a fan of suede. Carry on -

Dan

Comment

Jim, came out great. what happened to the patina??? Or the "parts washer" paint idea?
      Or "knob garage"
      Next up flame throwin' stacks!!
      and to really scare the kiddies, a mural of knobby lou on the hood!

Comment

the stacks are already on... the last pics were at about noon.
        i had to go suede for insurance- no rust showing- and with 26 cars on the policy- i wanst going to switch from hagerty over this car- once its on, it'll get wetsanded with 220 or so to bring the layers through, and sprayed down with a light muriatic mix to bring the splotches of rust back.. but not before a little layout of scallps in blue to match the sweet steelies...
        i'm waiting on my power transistors to arrive- i may be making my flame kits a little different now- hopefully as reliable as my old setups- that have proven to run strong 10+ yrs so far

amazing something that looks like that rides like a caddy... or 79 olds delta 88!

Comment

Comment

wow that's a nice piece of crap!
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

neat...still hate you....but neat ;D
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The vise grips are a nice touch. Does that pusher fan actually keep it cool, or is there a stock fan on the backside of the rad as well?

Comment

it seems to be doing fine... its a 3-row rad, no room for mechanical fan with that pitch... so far its 65deg out today- running at 180 around town.... next summer- if i still have it- it may need another fan perhaps. once youre moving the fan is obsolete anyway.

Comment

made up an ignition source today-- waited for night for some fun....

Comment

Your a sick man. You gonna be rockin' that to the pumpkin run??

Comment

the stacks and flame thrwoers are icing on the cake man...killer
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Any man that hacks up two cars and comes up with a roadster pickup is totally cool in my book. I especially like the shot of the Olds body on it's lid.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

NICE WORK!

That's a lot of fab work, well done, the flaming stacks - priceless.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

A friend and coworker paid me a lot of money to straighten out the body on his Olds. It looked exactly like the one you had upside down but was a Diesel ('79 I think) and he was in love with it. If Fred was still alive I'd snag the body shell for him - it looked pretty good, at least on it's top. Fred and the Olds are both long gone.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X