Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bamfster's Chevelle, the History & Coming Attractions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First I measured off per instructions to make sure I had plenty of room without dragging my back across the stubs after the bars are cut ... and then marked them w/a hose clamp to get the cut as straight as possible ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_4 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	869775

Name:	photo_3 (3).JPG
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	869777

Then out comes the trusty sawzall. It makes for a cleaner, less fiery cut ...

Name:	photo_5.JPG
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	869776

And viola .... side bars are out ...

Name:	photo_1 (6).JPG
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	869774

I did manage to get the driver door bar done yesterday (no pics yet) between drive tests and my son's awards assembly.

On a side note, and I'm bragging here, My middle son Jake received Stretch for Excellence Awards for AP calculus and trigonometry (he's a sophomore) & Honors language arts, and has made the principals honor roll for the 4th straight semester maintaining a 4.2 GPA since his freshman year. He will letter in academics in the fall for his achievements.

GOOD JOB JAKE !!!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

• Congrats to Jake for getting Moms smarts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ksj2 View Post
        Congrats to Jake for getting Moms smarts.
        Ouch ...

Comment

• I kid.I kid.

Comment

• quite an accomplishment, congratulations are in order...
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Things are starting to come together .....

Swing-outs are DONE! I re-painted the entire roll bar w/VHT epoxy chassis paint, it made it look brand new. Here is the pin side

Name:	photo_1 (7).JPG
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	869854

Name:	photo_5 (1).JPG
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	869855

And the hinge side

Name:	photo_5 (1).JPG
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	869855

I should have some time tomorrow to start putting everything back together.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Finally ... Got everything put back together. Here is just a shot of what the new seats look like actually installed.

Name:	photo (15).JPG
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	870051

So I've been wanting some type of a console in this car forever ... one with a place to hold drinks, phone and such. I looked around online and found a lot of generic-set-it-on-a-bench-seat type of consoles. Needless to say, I didn't like anything I saw. So, I set out to make my own.

Since the car still has all of the emergency equipment in it from it's Race-A-Cop days, and I still use said equipment when we do shows/parades/etc, I need to have the controller for it all easily accessible.

The bracket coming off the back of the shifter is for said controller. It keeps it well within reach, plus the light function (w/out the overheads/siren on the car, function as my "hazards" if need be).

Name:	photo (16).JPG
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	870052

So I want the console to encompass the controller, using it's bracket as the front mounting point for the console.

Name:	photo (14).JPG
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	870053

I started cutting up cardboard and taping it together to make my rough template. The idea will be an open area with drink holders, lined with carpet. on each side of the cup holders will be areas for misc crap that we all like to have close by. Plus, I recently added a stereo that is ipod capable, so I want that sitting in there so it won't slide under seat, etc.

Name:	photo (17).JPG
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	870054

I plan on tracing the cardboard onto .025 aluminum and fine tune that to the fit and contour that I like. Once I rivet it all together, it will get encased in fiberglass to add rigidity while keeping the weight down. Like I said earlier, the front mount will be the shifter bracket. The rear will stick down to the carpet via industrial velcro. Believe it or not, the drink holder in my last two police cars were attached this way. It literally took a screw driver prying it off the carpet to detach it .... I just don't want to drill any more holes in the floor since I just welded 30 years of screw hole up ....

Comment

• Watching intently. I want to make both a center console and an overhead one.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    Watching intently. I want to make both a center console and an overhead one.
                    IDK if you remember when I made the cold air intakes for my camaro, but that was my 1st foray into making stuff with 'glass. I also watched an episode of Trucks, where they made a front air dam using fiberglass resin and an old fleece blanket ... so I may give that a shot as well.

When I made those for the camaro, I used the cardboard as the form for the glass. It was too flimsy and kinda distorted as I worked it, hence the reason this time for the aluminum, its more rigid to begin with.

Comment

• Didn't get much done the las few days, but I did manage to get everything transferred to aluminum, and start rivetting the pieces together. First pick is looking down into what will be the open part of the console. There will be 2 drink holders sitting against the back "wall" of it ....

Name:	photo_1 (8).JPG
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	870105

Next pic is a side view. The slot on the left is where the console will slip around a U bracket that holds the light/siren controller with 2 1/4" bolts that will hold it it place

Name:	photo_2 (8).JPG
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	870106

Now it's time to start 'glassing things together .... OH BOY!

Comment

• Here it is after 2 coats/layers of 'glass, using a flannel bed sheet as the material. I did use a coat of bondo too, just to smooth out the rough spots so the carpet will glue down smooth.

Name:	photo_1 (9).JPG
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	870130

Name:	photo_2 (9).JPG
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	870131

Comment

• Mmmmm CB radio.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I'm jealous already.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              Mmmmm CB radio.
                              That's actually the emergency lights controller and siren/air horn/PA driver.... left over from the car's Race-A-Cop days.

No need to be jealous Randal, it's actually quite easy. I might also try making a form out of PVC, and glassing over it .... my son turned me on to that since he started sword fighting. These kids use PVC for everything and then glass over it .... pretty cool IMO. Shields, swords, armor .... you name it and they can come up with a way to make it.

Comment

• Almost there ..... all of the material is cut/stitched and glued on. I won't lie and say it was a breeze. It took 2 attempts at making cardboard templates for the material, and once those were where I liked them I started cutting material. Well, I actually had to cut the material 3 times before I was able to get a decent fit that I liked. Anyway, on to the pics ... last one is a bit outta focus ... dam iphone

Name:	photo_1 (10).JPG
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	870181

Name:	photo_2 (10).JPG
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	870182

Name:	photo_3 (5).JPG
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	870183

I'll get it installed in the car today and wrap this thing up.

Comment

Working...
                                X