Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My projects...80 Z28, 69' Dart, 57 Pontiac Laurentian...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My projects...80 Z28, 69' Dart, 57 Pontiac Laurentian...

I guess I should actually describe some of my projects....

I just sold my 49' Chevy Fleetline. It went from a stockish rustbuket with a bad frame, floors, trunk, quarters, rockers, fenders, doors, etc) to a pretty cool daily driver rod. I channelled the body 7" over a shortend S10 frame and running gear, rewired the entire car, converted the FI 4.3L engine to a carb, rebuilt the TH700-R4, built a custom column and steering linkage out of the stock column, a cut down crow bar, and some industrial U-joints. It also got lots of body work. Loooots of body work. I even installed the glass myself.

Here it is "in progress"

Here is how it turned out...

It was a surprisingly good driving car also and was supposed to go on a cross country drive, but a bad rad killed that 2 hours into the trip. So I ran back and grabbed my little daily and took that instead. After a about 6 weeks of driving around in the 49, I got bored with it and sold it. I hate doing body work and it still needed more. It also was a 2 seater due to the deep channel, and I wanted to be able to cruise with friends.

So, now I have the 57 Pontiac to work on. Its a Canadian car, so it is actually built on a 57' Chevy frame and running gear. It has a blown 327-300hp engine in it right now, but I really like the car. A disk brake conversion, TH400, and alternator conversion, are icing on the cake.

It appears the rear axle is bent - bad. Doh. At least its not the frame.

At least it will be easy to get parts for and will look killer with the chrome reverse rims and spider caps, and a little lowering. I have already started striping the remains of the engine down. The 462 double bump heads managed to survive the 327 throwing a rod unscathed

It has a nice interior, and all the chrome is there, plus enough spare chrome for another car!

I also have the Mullet Camaro, and my first car, a 69' Dart. But we will talk about that later.

Re: My projects...80 Z28, 69' Dart, 57 Pontiac Laurentian...

Man you guys are all making me feel WAY out of my league!

that '49 was a killer project - now you have me thinking that putting my '54 on an S10 frame might be easier in the long run than modifying what I have....

but I have no time or money for such pursuits - I'll be lucky to get the flywheel swapped out and surfaced for next year ----'

that '57 pontiac is SWEEEET!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The only reason I did the S10 frame swap was because the entire bottom foot of that 49 Fleetline was rotted bad. There was literally no floors left in the car and the frame was completely gone. I decided to channel the car quite a bit also since I was making new floors anyways. Here is a side view that shows how high the frame is up in the car and how little of the bottom of the car is left

On a good car I wouldn't do it. It would be far less work to just Mustang II the front end (its pretty much a bolt in) and slip an open drivetrain under your car. IF you have lots of time and no money, and don't mind starting at the stock ride height, you could do the S10 swap, and it only requires a little trimming of the floor under the rear seat area and making mounts on the frame for the body. The wheelbase will also need to be adjusted, but that is easy. The S10's front steer also requries quite a bit of splash pan trimming.

Comment

Man, that 49 was cool.... nicely done!

I've been playing with cars since about '86 - but never gotten that far into changing one - I've rebuilt was was there from pretty much nothing - but never "reinvented" that far.

Thanks for your post in the other thread - sounds like the best thing for my car is an S10 donor from the early '90s pull the 5spd and the rear end ...

time will tell.

Nice cars!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I want to hear about the Dart! ;D If its a T5 340 Swinger you are my newest best friend! ;D

Comment

yup, we need to see the dart for sure. And that bitchin camaro too
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The Dart is my first car, and I bought it when I was 15. Its a LH23D car - Dart Custom 2dr hardtop with a 273 originally. I has a couple of crazy 340's in there for almost 10 years that ran a best of 10.80's@ 128 with some juice. Factory block, crank, rods, heads! After the 727 went south, I pulled the motor, put it into a 74' Valiant 4 dr and terrorized the neighborhood with that. Great little sleeper.

Even with welded in subframe connectors I twisted up the car, so it sits currently in storage with no engine, waiting for some time on a frame rack to pull it back straight. Here is a pic of it on my old ramptruck. It still has the broken 727 in it, with its 3800 stall, and 8.75" with a 3.23sg in it and stock axles. I broke the 4.30 SG rear (took some teeth off) and damaged the Moser Axles. Its going up to the shop for storage here.

Streetracing this car put me through college.

The camaro is sitting in my garage in primer. I think I got shafted by the bodyman. Hes a fool if he is shafting me though - more like he is shafting himself, because the car only needs blocking and paint now - he did all the hard work already.

Its a Canadian 80 Z28 - T-top, 4 spd, posi car, cowl induction car. Originally white with a tan interior and gold tri-color stripes. Its going back the same. This car was originally modified by the original owner back in 1980, and I am just rebuilding the car and making the car the scourge of 1985. Only the best early 80's technology here! I was building iton a budget for the GrassRoots Motorsports Challange but they copped an attitude and let their friends blatently cheat. That killed it for me and a lot of other people. So I decided to do it up nice instead.

I bent up and welded in a custom roll bar, as well as through the floor subframe connectors to stiffen the car up. It has removable door bars, and a camera mount. A also seam welded the front subframe and added "hotckiss bars" to stiffen the subframe to the body. There are CE solid bushings in there. I would not use them again, as there are much better interlocking bushings available.

Suspension is mostly done. I still have to replace the rear springs but just haven't had time yet. They are not sagging or anything but need a rate increase to match the 650 in-lb springs in the front. Something in the 175-200 in-lb range would work well in the rear. It has 1 12" 1LE disk brake conversion in the front with brembo rotors and WPF pads. All the bushings are urethane. I would go with the Global West solids next time. Front end is all new parts, and runs a 16:1 fast ratio box. Shocks are adjustable Doetschtechs. Rims are 16x8 irocs right now but I want to put on Minillight clones from Vintage wheel works. Front sway bar is a 1.2" solid, and the rear is a 0.55" solid. Rear axle is a 3.42 geared 8.5" with a 11" 1LE disk brake conversion. Same parts at the front. It also has a corvette master cylinder and adjustable prop valve. Car pushes a little right now, so the addition of the stiffer springs in the back should bring it back to neutral.

The trans is a ST10 with a Z gearset and 904 nodular iron case. It has a Mcleod clutch, nodular iron flywheel, and a lakewood scattershield. There is a hurst shifter on top. Works good!

The engine is the original 350 that has built up mildly. It has a set of forged pistons, a crane valvetrain, balanced and blueprinted, yadda yadda yadda....and a Martin turbocharger setup with an Edelbrock Varijection water injection setup. It did 358rwhp and 406 ft-llbs torque at 6.5psi on pump gas without the water injection. Works good and the 3.42 gears are perfect. Haven't had it to the track yet, but it G-tech'd 12.2@114mph on its Toyo Proxess street tires. So in reality it probably runs high 12's or low 13's. I would like to try in on a sticky track with slicks one day. I bet bottom 12s then.

Here are some "in progress" pics. I think I am going to sell this one when it is back from the body shop. Its getting a stock trunklid and spoiler put back on it as well as the front spoiler etc. FB had this car as entry #14 on the RSE a few years ago. I am thinking of selling it as soon as its painted and has the stock decals reapplied.

Comment

Aww, c'mon keep the whale tail. It's so...80's.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Can you send some pics of the thru-the-floor frame ties. I want to do my '78 and it'll be easier not to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks
                  Dan

Comment

I wonder how the whale tail would do in the wind tunnel?
                    Interested in selling those rear fender flares and mounts?

Comment

The whale tale is a mistake on these cars I think. They don't need rear end downforce, they need it in the front! Better spoilers, venting of the engine compartment and lowering the car does wonders on keeping the front end down. I have had this one over 140mph with the stock front spoiler on it - but its lowered quite a bit, and I adusted the rear of the hood up to allow trapped air to escape. It ran out of gear before it ran out of power. That was with a set of 3.08 gears. I wanted to try maxton with a set of 2.56's in it and run up to my legal max of 150mph. I know it will do it with ease.

I am putting all the stock spoilers back on it, so I am keeping the stock flares.

I personally would like to see what works better - the 78-79 stinger hood with the scoop opened up and made functional, or the 80-81 cowl induction. I have hoods with both scoops on them.

Comment

Dude, nice cars and nice work. Really diggin the 49. I don't think I've ever seen a tail like that on a Camaro. Did it come off a Porsche?? ;D
                        you twisted the frame on that dart with a small block? With subframe connectors? That thing must be hooking hard. Where exactly is the damage? I'm curious.

Comment

The entire car is twisted from to back. There is about 2-3" of twist in it and it cracked the sheetmetal around both door strikers. The engine made 476hp by itself and I was hitting it with a 180hp shot as soon as I hit 2nd gear. It would go up onto the back bumper or spin if I hit it out of the hole.

Comment

Rick,
                            Was that you messing with 240Z's a few years ago?

Comment

how cool is that. (Bummer though that you have to fix it )

Comment

Working...
                              X