Building a car for our local 10.5 tire class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a car for our local 10.5 tire class

Finally making headway on what will be used as the Nightmare Motorsports 10.5 race car for the 2010 season. The car is good friends Tom Nystrup. It's been a pretty standard street car since Tom has owned but is making the move to more race oriented. For those that don't know Tom he is the one guy that is my usual right hand man and vice versa. Tom will be piloting the car. And fwiw our local 10.5 class runs in the high 8's to low 9's consistently.

Tom handles the motor builds for the most part and I handle the fabrication and chassis work. Tom also handles having cars that run more then I do so that's why we are using his car. I'm not going to get real in depth with the specs on the motor but basically we're dealing with a big inch stroked Windsor in a 69 block, 11.5:1 compression, big solid roller cam, Edelbrock Vic. Jr heads and intake, and a Demon 850 carb. Power adder will be coming in the form of nitrous which is currently a simple plate setup.

HOWEVER, I have recently designed and patented a new nitrous nozzle that is for use with single plane carbed intakes (or retrofitted for EFI like the Spyders) that this car may see by Spring. I am going to be testing it out on the 69 first and if it looks like it's working out we will possibly try and get some race R&D done on this car.

Anyway, here's a few pics of that past weeks work. I fabbed up a sump for the stock gas tank that is complete and in the car. Got the Aeromotive A1000 and filters mounted and the -10 feed line and -8 return line rant to the Aeromotive regulator. I went ahead and did my usual smoothing and painting of the engine bay. Also relocated the fuse box in the fender well and all wiring. We also got the UPR k-member installed as well as a set of Cobra front brakes (ditched the ABS in the process). Tom has been keeping busy getting the motor all wrapped up as well as getting the battery box/cut off and nitrous bottle mounted up. Basically we are ready to drop the motor in at this point and fire it up. This winter I will be TIG'ing up a 12 point cage and possibly some mini tubs to really get the car hunkered down. Should have pics and vids of it running this week! Busy, busy,busy

Just cause I think it's worth mentioning here is how the car showed up at my shop

And AFTER I smoothed and painted the engine bay

www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Re: Building a car for our local 10.5 tire class

All mounted up. We're not sure yet if with the air cleaner on that it will clear the already 2.5" cowl hood or not.

Comment

NEATO!
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

That is some nice work there.

Comment

really nice work - that engine compartment is first class.

power steering on a drag car?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks guys!

And yep, I never ditch power steering. I have owned so many factory PS-less cars that I find it a crime to get rid of ;)

Comment

do you have any "during" shots of the metal work on the engine compartment?

any details on the engine?
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hmm, not sure if I do have any progress pics. It went really quick because I did my Cobra like 2 years ago and made templates of all the sheetmetal I had to cut to use as filler panels for this body style car.

The motor is a 393 CI. stroker. Forged top to bottom. 11.5:1 compression. Big 'ol Comp Cams solid roller. 850 Demon carb. Ported Edelbrock Vic Jr. heads and intake. Getting a 200 shot of juice for now. The car with driver is 3340 pounds. Should run mid to low 9's dialed in.

Comment

Nice !

Comment

The car fired up this weekend and it sounds GREAT! Literally started on the first attempt and idles really nice even with the aggressive cam. Also got the 3" X-pipe fabbed up and the 3" 2 chamber flow masters bolted up.

I finished up the wiring and loose ends today including getting the trunk completed. To keep things clean under the hood we mounted the MSD Digital 6 in the trunk on the bottom side of the rear deck. Mounted the Taylor battery relocation and Flaming River cut off switch also. The nitrous was already in the car before this build started.

Here's a shot of the trunk completed. I realized pretty quickly that having to make any adjustments to the MSD was going to be next to impossible without a flashlight so I mounted a small auxiliary light that comes on with the trunk lid light just above the box so the adjustment knobs can be seen in the generally dark pits at the track. A quick aluminum shroud was made and shot with some black paint and that was that. Also something I wanted to point out is that when it comes to an area with a lot of wiring like trunks (MSD, fuel pump relays, bottle heaters, etc.) I make sure to get the label maker out for all the wires in a bundle. It save myself headaches down the road not to mention is nice for anybody else that may own the car at some point.....you have to have bought a few basket case project cars to realize how handy having wires labeled is.

Anyway, here's some pics of the trunk...exciting I know. Gonna try and have at least some idle vids up in the next couple days.

This was taken at night....not bad

Comment

Nice work on the car. I like the quality of work, especially the fit of the fuel cell. Kickass.

I find one thing startlingly missing though....

In a car destined for low nines or even the high eight second zone, where is the roll cage?

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Thanks!

The cage is going in this winter. Basically what we are doing is getting the whole thing running and tuned to where it drives really well and then the owner is going to break it in so we're ready to race by spring. May as well get her broken in and some seat time in without having to climb over the cage. I will be doing mini tubs and rear coil overs at the same time as the cage.

Comment

Sin-i-ster!!!

Originally posted by NITMARE
                          All mounted up. We're not sure yet if with the air cleaner on that it will clear the already 2.5" cowl hood or not.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X