Gonna take a few weeks to work on MY STUFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna take a few weeks to work on MY STUFF

For the last few years all my Junk has sat on the side line while everyone Else's got worked on. Decided to spend November getting my 70 buick screwed back together. So I drug it out today and got it in the shop.

Last winter I had pulled all the fiberglass off the car from when we raced Nostalgia Muscle Car with it and shoved it back in the trailer.

Now I am going to put all the sheet metal back on for stock eliminator. I will end up in D/SA , I won't be able to run with the late model EFI cars dominating that class as far as E.T.. But using parts I already have and the car is a blast to drive.

Re: Gonna take a few weeks to work on MY STUFF

Nice car David.
    ;D

Comment

I see the pics. Nice car.

Comment

Thanks !

Can't wait to have it back together...........

Comment

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I want a wheel standing Buick too! What's in mind for the powertrain?
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I want a wheel standing Buick too! What's in mind for the powertrain?
            Since we are converting the car over to an NHRA Stock Eliminator Class Car it will have a 455. I decided to run the class with Stage 1 specs so that puts us in D/SA.

The short block is done and just waiting on the heads so we can do some dyno testing. While I am waiting for the engine to be completed, the sheet metal and chrome bumpers will go back on the car. I took the aluminum seats out and will have to put a stock seat(s) back in the car. Of course I will be getting as much weight off the nose, everywhere I can find a legal way to do so.

Comment

Good for you David.
              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

"Gong fast with Class'.....I dig the car, David.

My uncle had a 71 GS Stage 1, thing was a hoot....passed(like and idiot) on the opportunity to own it, was a bit on the rough side.

Will be intersting to see the end result...I'll be watching.

Comment

Im a big believer in the Buick 455! Your car loks bad ass.

Comment

neat car. I thought GS had fiberglass bumpers thus allowing you to run them in Nostalga drags... the older I get the more I learn.

so tell us about the bottom end.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Into the AMC thing now, but a few years back when I was into cars Buicks were my make of choice.
                      As AMC doesn't make a big block and buick doesn't make a pony car, so I figure I can still be a fan of both right :D
                      I had a 70 Skylark, and a 455 on the engine stand but sold it all to start racing motorcycles.
                      What heads will you be using?

Comment

so tell us about the bottom end.

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
                        Into the AMC thing now, but a few years back when I was into cars Buicks were my make of choice.
                        As AMC doesn't make a big block and buick doesn't make a pony car, so I figure I can still be a fan of both right :D
                        I had a 70 Skylark, and a 455 on the engine stand but sold it all to start racing motorcycles.
                        What heads will you be using?
                        We tweaked the short block as muck as the definition of NHRA rules allow.

Heads and Intake have to be designated part # pieces for the year and H.P. engine you declare. I took 4 sets of part #s heads to see which stock heads I had would flow the best. At the foundries they would use the cast molds until tolerances got off and then they would discard that mold and start with a new one. So the hope is to come up with part # castings that where last of a batch.

Same with the intake. I have had dozens of 70 Buick 455s over the years but always seemed to throw out the stock 4 barrel intakes and replaced them with a B4B or T/A intake so when I started this project I could only find one part # intake and bought another one from a guy on V8 Buick board.

When I get the heads back and we go to the Dyno I will post pics and results of our 1st Dyno pulls.

Comment

Seems me & the 'Rack' have the most GS-455's. ~J/W.

Comment

I don't know what I'd do with a GS455 if I had one - but I still WANT one. No $$, no shop space, no time. Still want one.

Dan

Comment

Before putting the nose back on I decided to upgrade the brake system while it is easy to get to.

Did not have any trouble slowing down with the big Aluminum Drums on the front & GN Aluminum drums in the rear but the car would try and push thru the beams when staging hard on the converter. I hope this solves that problem.

Celeste pitched in to help to earn some nova time in the shop !

I got 6 .2 lbs of rotating weight off the rear and 14.5 lbs off the front with the disc retro-fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X