TC's GMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC's GMC

Well I figured I'd start off with the project that I'm giving the most attention to, and that is my '71 GMC. I bought the truck about a year and a half ago from my neighbor for $500. It has less than 42,000 original miles and was all original. As for my plans, I've already build the big block for it, and have tubbed the rear to make room for the 29x15.5x15 Hoosier ProStreet radials that I will be running out back. But before we get into all that, let us start from the beginning.

Here is a pic of the truck in my neighbor's driveway before I pushed it over to my house.

And here she is after I got her home. Notice the bomb above the cab. Yes that is a propane tank. :o

And here's a shot of what the engine compartment looked like.

And anyone every see one of these??????

Here's a couple of shots of what the interior looks like after 36 years.

And so it begins.

Re: DreamMachine's GMC

TC has a new screen name it seems. Same Camaros, same GMC as per pic in his sig at http://rodderscorner.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=1626

"Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

And your point is??????

Comment

I'm guessing that's a propane mixer replacing the carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rendid
          I'm guessing that's a propane mixer replacing the carb.
          Ya, what you said. I remember taking off the air cleaner and saying what the .... :o

I mean I knew it was different when I saw the 1 inch galvanized 90 coming out the front of it, but I never expected it to look like that. I figure it'll make a good conversational piece sitting on the shelf in my garage. As for the 350 that i took out of it, I'm going to sell it to a buddy of mine so he can put it into his '64 Malibu.

Comment

That galvanized 90* definitely looks like what's attached to the back of my stove.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DreamMachine
              And your point is??????
              Just an observation, not a point. Hows the tubbing of the 71 Jimmy coming along?
              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

man... I'm a pure hot rodder at heart but that thing was just wayyyy to nice to cut up! That would have been an awsome thing to just clean up and use as-is...

Good luck with the project though...

Comment

Ya I know what you mean about keeping it original, but I'm a firm believer in "it isn't done until it's tubbed" ;).

And here's some more pics of what I've done to it.

One of the first things I did was remove the rear bumper so I could install a roll pan.

And here a pic after I stitched it in and ground down the welds.

And here's another shot.

Then after I got the roll pan installed I removed the gas tank doors that were in the bed and stitched in some new metal.

And this is what it looked like after I stripped the grill and bumper off the front.

Next up, I had a big block that needed a home.

Comment

Alright to pick up where I left off, I used to own a '77 chevy truck, you know one of those heavy half's with a big block in it. I was actually my first vehicle when I turned 16. Well anyways after a year or so of abuse and some bent pushrods and an engine rebuild the spider gears in the rear end decided to exit the vehicle through the rear diff cover. :o So after having the truck sit in my garage for 10 years I sold it to a buddy of mine and kept the big block out of it. So that's how I ended up with the big block. In the picture above this is how far I got with the motor after I rebuilt it a few years ago. I put 10.5:1 forged pistons in it and had 2.19 and 1.88 valves put into the heads. And at that time I had a Crane 286 hydraulic flat tappet cam in it. But when I decided to use it in this truck I swapped out the flat tappet for a hydraulic roller, which is a Comp NX279HR. Anyway here's some pics of the build up.

Here's a pic of the motor after I took the heads off to have the springs swapped for the new hydraulic roller. And I also installed a head stud kit.

Here's a shot of the mains, which I installed a stud kit on.

And here's a shot of the balancer I'm using. It is made by Pioneer and my machinist that builds $40,000 trophy truck motors uses them on his motors, so I figure they can't be all that bad. To tell you the truth I've never heard of them until the guys at Loper's told me they were a good balancer and said I should run one on my big block over the ProProduct's one they sell. If anything it sure is a nice looking piece. ;)

Then after I got the long block all assembled I taped it off and got it ready for paint.

And here she is all painted with some of the bling bolted on.

And here's another step of the way.

And here it is with the alternator, power steering pump and headers on. At this point it is pretty much ready to drop in.

And here's the final product. If you look closely at the fuel regulator bracket I made that myself from some half inch plate aluminum. I also made the Iron Cross wingnut for the air cleaner.

Next it's time to get the old motor out of the truck and get the body work done.

Comment

with all that bling on that rat - you've GOT to get the headers ceramic coated!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Man that shiny stuff sure looks sweet,but its a pita to keep it that way. I really enjoy playin with the trucks,i had an 82 chubby lowrider BB Buford powered up untill the beginning of summer.i had it 12 yrs
                        went back to my Mopars,i need to get reenergized on the drag car,or sell it.

good luck on the Jimmy,its progressing well.

Comment

Re: TC's GMC

Wow, I forgot I started this thread, anyway here's a couple of shots with the tires on it......

Comment

Lookin' good, TC. Looking at those before pics, I would have had a hard time cutting that one up. But that just makes it easier to get to the hot rodding, huh? ;)
                            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Thanks Brian, I'm just plugging away at it. ;) As for cutting it up, looks stock to me. ;) I mainly just fixed holes that other put into it. ;D

I can mark body mounts off my list, all done now.

Comment

Working...
                              X