No announcement yet.

1953 Studebaker / Studillac project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket or Flickr seem to be the most common ones these days, and there is Dropbox as well.

cheers
    Ed
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

• I think Fox owns Photobucket , Yahoo owns Flickr? Microsoft has money into Yahoo so I suspect Flickr has some degree of longevity. I'm not a Photobucket fan after the last "upgrade"... having to fix the links in here is sad. We'll miss them a lot, what if we beg?
      Last edited by Beagle; February 4, 2013, 05:29 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Well guys when you have time go back over the thread! I've been working to get all of the pics back in place.
        I basicaly started over and added tons of pics. I also remembered a few things that I added to the dialoge.
        I have not gotten anything new accomplished on the car in almost a year now! The heads were repaired. It
        was found that the casting was thin and soft around the single short lower head bolt on both heads. This area
        was ground away and reconstructed with weld. The engine did not hit the dyno again until November and it
        lost oil pressure again! Oil pump was sent to Titan and rebuilt. Nothing was hurt too badly but the bearings
        were damaged and its got to be completely cleaned and reassembled. JW discovered aluminum in the oil
        filter and found where the valve springs were touching the rockers. This was a problem on the first engine and
        was thought to be fixed... Now its almost the end of February and I'm waiting...

There's several things I should have gotten taken care of on the car during this time but the engine has killed
        my motivation. I need to get the dash wiring completed so it can be installed and the new Flaming River
        stainless colume fitted. I also have stainless hard fuel lines to bend and a fuel tank vent install to hopefully
        get rid of the fuel smell that was always present around the car.

One thing that may have cooled my jets is the new ride. I picked up a 13 ZL1 in November. I'm planning
        on an ECTA event and the Power Tour with the Camaro...

I've also started building a nice large shop. Dirt work is complete and waiting on rain to get started on
        the structure. I may just drag my feet on the Studillac untill I get the shop enclosed...

Dwayne
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 53 Studillac; February 22, 2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• nice new ride. It bites when things don't go as planned - and it completely makes sense to put it on the back burner for awhile.

how big is your shop going to be?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• This thread is like Playboy..........I don't wanna read
            I wanna just look at the pictures

Hope the engine turns out ok for ya.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Thanks Monk, what a compliment! I hope this story has a similiar happy ending as looking
              at a Playboy does!

Buick, The shop seems really big but its already full and isnt built yet! The actual garage area
              is approx 66' x 56'. There are 5 bays planned. Four 10'x10' doors and one 12'x14' door for a
              future RV. The slab is something like 97' x 56'. I'm planning on living on one end of the
              building for a while. The goal is to have the ultimate man cave! I'm going to try and get it
              built without a morgage so it may be a year or three in the making. Goal for 2013 is to get
              the slab, roof, walls and doors. Last summer I bought an old dump truck to move dirt and
              haul off stumps around here. I hauled 71 loads of dirt for the foundation! That more than
              paid for the truck...

Dwayne
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 53 Studillac; February 23, 2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Don't let Brian see that truck. He'll have an organism!

Dan

Comment

• Dang.. My one ton flatbed has a 2 dumper on it... 2 shovels at once..
                  Sorry you walked away from the caddy motor... Can't say I blame you with the problems you had..
                  Just post again when you get going on it..

Comment

• Bob, I haven't totally walked away from the Cadillac engine but if I were smart I would have long ago!
                    I could have put an LSX in the car and had enough money left over to buy a kidney! The next few weeks
                    will decide it's fate. If I can find an "out" I would like to make a change. But if the engine is put back
                    together and runs good with no more issues I will go ahead and give it a try. When I get the shop
                    usable expect some big updates!

Dwayne

Comment

• being on the cutting edge can draw blood.... You really could write the book about how to hot-rod a Caddy motor with your experiences.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by 53 Studillac View Post
                        Bob, I haven't totally walked away from the Cadillac engine but if I were smart I would have long ago!
                        I could have put an LSX in the car and had enough money left over to buy a kidney! The next few weeks
                        will decide it's fate. If I can find an "out" I would like to make a change. But if the engine is put back
                        together and runs good with no more issues I will go ahead and give it a try. When I get the shop
                        usable expect some big updates!

Dwayne
                        Been there, done that Dwayne........we had to do a total tear down
                        of the W motor after first run on the dyno.
                        My engine builder was real cool about it and we got things ironed out.

Hopefully good Caddy engine karma headed your way.
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Damn Dwayne! Sorry to hear your still dealin with issues on the Cad...car is too bitchin to put away for too long. However, I'm totally diggn the new girl friend! Wont take much convincing on a new powerplant once you rip that thing up and down a few times! The subtle color choice shows your contempt...love it!

Comment

• Well guys as some of you have heard my Studillac project was destoyed by a 3/4 mile wide EF4 tornado packing 190mph. My home/shop was just about in the center of its path of destruction. A new Cadillac engine and T56 tranny were still in their respective crate/box still awaiting to be put in the car. I had decided to wait until my shop was complete before getting back to work on the project. I was building my dream home with a big 5 stall shop/house combo to allow me to do what I enjoy, build cars! We had just about finished outside before the tornado. For years it was my goal to do the Power Tour in that car but I suppose it was not meant to be.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• The Studillac was actually in my dad's barn inside my enclosed trailer about 1/4 mile away across the field, just on the edge of the twister. But the barn is gone and the enclosed trailer was sucked out. The car was thrown out and while it was rolling the passenger door came open. I guess the car came down on the door and warped the whole car. The cage stayed in-tact but was bent over sideways just a little like the rest of the car. If not for the cage it could have looked much worse. My brother found the engine lying in the mud behind where my house was. That engine is a 520 inch Cadillac and had made 721hp and 700 ft-lbs on the dyno! All this happened back on 4/28 and I am just now able to type this. I just didnt know what to say. I still do not know exactly what I will do. I have a big pile of usable parts if I could find a really good 53 body I might just build another.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 53 Studillac; June 12, 2014, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• A few weeks before the storm I had commissioned Ben Hermance to draw some rendering with a Pro-Touring theme. I was planning on Forgeline wheels and larger brakes. Makes me sick every time I look at them, but it also makes me proud of how good it was going to look... Thanks again for all of your concerns and if you know where a nice 53 Studebaker Starliner is for sale shoot me a note! Dwayne
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X