X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow indeed. x2 on the above.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• X3! That shop MIGHT be big enough. I've convinced ME that they can never be "too big". The coupe looks excellent though I have a soft spot for the hardtops.

Dan

Comment

• Wow...years of work wiped out in a few moments by the weather. I wouldn't have the strength to stay after such a disaster. Good to see you're getting things put back together, best of luck with the house and the eventual car project.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Back from hibernation! House was completed last summer and things have slowly gotten back to normal. It's coming up on 4 years since the tornado "changed things". I'm finally got that lovin' feeling back! All I can think about these days is the Studebaker again. I had forgotten how good it felt to have my mind racing over what to do next. I'm still working in the oil field on a 28 day rotation, but I do good to get 2 weeks of my off time to devot to the car. Things are starting to get interesting again adn I thought I would catch-up this forum in case anyone missed it. My work environment has improved from the days of working on the open carport. This shop is slowly coming around and I now have a 2 post lift and even a plasma cutter! This last time home we even added a toilet.

The Cadillac engine was completely gone thru again and required 3 sleeves to repair rust from water intrusion after the tornado. We also found several issues that were corrected. The consensus thinking is that we had been cavitating the stock oil pump at high dyno RPMs. If I can get the external 1" suction hose worked out I hope the engine bearing issues will go away.

We found a couple of the shockwaves were messed up and it was decided to go go simple with coil overs . I have a full set of Ride Tech coil overs ready to be mounted.

At times I wish I had waited and found a little better car. Since I bought the blue car I have seen serval that were nicer for the same or less money. The trunk floor was rusty when I removed all of the junk and mats. My old chassis was OK, so to save some money it is being re-used although re-worked. I've added about 2-1/2" of wheel tub to each side in the rear and should have plenty of room for some 345s now. This was my first tub job and it's not prefect but looks ok and I think some bedliner will cover up the flaws. I purchased a set of Detroit steel wheels, 20x11s and 18x8s and plan to run factory poverty caps with trim rings. The rear tires shown are 315s. I really wanted 12" wheels but they only have 11s and 14s. I'm currently on the 2nd iteration of narrowed rear frame rails but am really liking how the last one came out. I have 2" of clearance with the 315s. I almost managed to get the body on the chassis for a trial fit last week but had to head to work. The inner fenders need to be trimmed some to go over the valve covers.

Plans forward are to complete the trunk floor and move towards the front with soem floor work ending up with a new firewall. The engine will be moved back 1-1/2" and the tunnel will be opened up for the T56 Magnum. I'm leaning toward leaving the external patina on the body at least for a while so I can drive and enjoy the car sooner and not worry about dirt and dings.

Unless life or mother nature gets in the way again there should be occaisional updates going forward. My goal for 2018 is to get the frame and underside of the car painted and bolted back together.

Dwayne

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4536.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	1194877

Name:	IMG_4426.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1194878

Name:	IMG_4538.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1194873Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4535.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1194874

Name:	IMG_4591.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	1194875Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4588.JPG
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1194876Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580y.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1194879

Name:	IMG_3407.JPG
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1194880Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.JPG
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1194881

Comment

• GREAT to hear from you! Love the shop. I wish mine was that big but I can't complain - way better than many folks have. Please keep the updates coming.

Dan

Comment

• So GOOD to see you back..
              Whatta jump from carport to shop!
              Stay away from twisters mother nature makes.. Go with Caddy powered twister!

Comment

• Yes the shop is quite an upgrade, although not quite what it would have been. The only down side is that it is 45 minutes away from where I have built my house so I waste a lot of time driving back and forth instead of working on the car or cutting grass.

Comment

• It's very good to see you back - and now you have a 2R pickup..... I probably shouldn't have sold mine, now I can ease the pain by living vicariously through you.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 25, 2018, 06:46 PM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• great to see you and this project again!

Comment

• I was just thinking about this project about a month back. We went to a little cruise-in and there was a really nice white Commander with a manual tans and a sbc of unknown dimensions. Great looking car and it got me wondering where this had gone. Good to see you back and back at it. I look forward to more updates!
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Oooh, baby baby, that is looking good!
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• After 5 weeks at work I got back to it today. Decided to remove the engine and trans for now so I could get her on the ground for a look see. Solid links are in place of the coil overs to simulate ride height. Detroit steel wheels with original poverty caps and stainless trim rings shown on pass side. The 18s and 20s are different and I'm not used to seeing it this high off the ground! But this is the same ride height as far as the chassis goes, the rear tires are a tad shorter and the front a little taller. Was on air ,but coil-overs this go round. The 18 seems small on the front to me so I think that's better than them looking too big and out of place. What do you guys think? I can lower the front 1" with tall ball joints, which is that I want to do. I hope the rake won't be too much? The rear is easy to up or down but don't think it will look right lower in the rear without the front coming down. It looks like the tires clear great when turning now, but 1" down may require some fender massage. The frame has 6" clearance with 7" from lower front fender edge to ground...I think it's too high but what do you guys think is good ground clearance for a road car? Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4784.JPG Views:	1 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	1199067Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4786.JPG Views:	1 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	1199068Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4787.JPG Views:	1 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	1199069Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4792.JPG Views:	1 Size:	123.5 KB ID:	1199070Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4800.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	1199071Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4789.JPG Views:	1 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	1199072Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4790 (1).JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	1199073
                          Last edited by 53 Studillac; April 30, 2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• For reference. I think the last one is at ride height, No air in the others. Sure does look good low, but too much maintenance. 15" front and 16" rear.

Name:	goldman 02.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1199077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	1199078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1199079

Comment

• I like where you have it now - I agree too much maintenance on the super-low. That said, if you paint it black, it'll still look pretty low... and if you need more, give it a 1" haircut.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I like it, I might also like it a tad lower....I think that the time to determine the final ride height is once it's all together assuming it is pretty simple to drop it an inch or so....
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X