Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1953 Studebaker / Studillac project...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I can't figure out where 4 years have gone? I had a hard time getting motivated on the Studebaker and somewhere along the way met my wife! She got a couple of those years. But I am a car guy and love designing and building. We are trying to make it a priority to get me a few days a week when I am home to get my Studillac fix. It's just good for my soul. Don’t get me wrong we have had a blast and got some time behind the wheel of a ZR1 for a couple of the years I have been away. It’s gone and back to the Studebaker.

    Comment


    • Great to see you're having fun and found a sweetie. Now how 'bout some Studillac pics!!!

      Dan

      Comment


      • I did spend some time trying to fit a belt drive oil pump but was going to require so many changes I decided to try the Titan pump again. I made some clearance cuts on the front xmbr and it should fit easily now. The oil pan still needs mods to fit the external suction hose.
        I have moved the engine back 1-1/2” and may go another ”. I reassembled the drivetrain and even had a driveshaft made. I lowered the front a couple inches and am waiting on re-assembly of the front suspension to finalize the tranny mount. I’ve got to learn how to align the front suspension to determine if I have induced too much bump steer with the changes. Worse case it will be moved back to where it was originally. I want to set the engine level or close to it at final ride height.

        Comment


        • I used the old tub from the black car to push the firewall back for some trial fitting. It looks like I may only need to move it about an inch back. The firewall and trans tunnel is one of the biggest hurdles left before I can get serious with painting the bottom of the car and some re-assembly.
          Reluctantly I started on the trunk floor. I decided the easiest thing for me was to use the old panel from the black car and blend it into the new one. The old one was already modified to clear the exhaust, suspension and mount the fuel tank. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I had dreaded although it’s a long way from perfect. My sweet wife even pitched in to help with drilling out some spot welds. I got it about 50% welded before work called and I had to pack it up for a month or so. It will be a challenge with other springtime projects around home when I get back but I have that deep down tingle again and have really enjoyed the last couple months back in the shop.

          Comment


          • I remember this one now after going back a few pages. Glad to see you're back at it and life hasn't beaten you down.

            Comment


            • I have a 14 year old friend who just bought a 59 Hawk
              this kid https://anthonyryanschmidt.com/
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

              Comment


              • Good to see you back.
                saw your post in Aaron’s thread first

                Comment


                • Bob,

                  I'm sorry to have been a recluse. We all live vicariously thru each other in some ways. I will try to not be such a stranger. That tornado hit me harder than I realized and working on the new car didn't fix me. I'm surprised how the time went by with so little forward movement on that front. Of course I used my time and grew in other ways. My wife didn't even know the side of me that really wanted to be in the shop all night tinkering. I had been growing more and more restless and she said I needed to find something to do. Well what I needed was to get back to work on some old rusty car and touch base with old friends that share the same passion. It's still a challenge to know how much time to be away and not hurt her feelings but we are figuring it out. She grew up drag racing with a dad that loved cars to so she kinda understands.

                  Dwayne

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by 53 Studillac View Post
                    Bob,

                    I'm sorry to have been a recluse. We all live vicariously thru each other in some ways. I will try to not be such a stranger. That tornado hit me harder than I realized and working on the new car didn't fix me. I'm surprised how the time went by with so little forward movement on that front. Of course I used my time and grew in other ways. My wife didn't even know the side of me that really wanted to be in the shop all night tinkering. I had been growing more and more restless and she said I needed to find something to do. Well what I needed was to get back to work on some old rusty car and touch base with old friends that share the same passion. It's still a challenge to know how much time to be away and not hurt her feelings but we are figuring it out. She grew up drag racing with a dad that loved cars to so she kinda understands.

                    Dwayne
                    Figure out how to include her. My wife would never go to car shows, swap meets or even just 'hang out' in the shop. On the other hand, when I built the cage for her Jeep - she was very much involved... she still doesn't do car shows, swap meets, or hang out - but she has expressed interest in coming to the races (I think she'd be awesome as a driver)... ebb and flow, but the tl;dr is find ways to include her

                    and I totally get the mourning of the loss, yours was special - there is no fix, it just gets less painful as the years go by. That said, I suspect that your car influenced Anthony... who is just some 14 year old kid on another coast with autism and an ability at scale that gobsmacks me. And who has a black/red Studebaker hawk...
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

                    Comment


                    • Any particular good but not too expensive tools I should get to do a preliminary front end alignment so I can check for bump steer? I need to know if the combination or parts I have and ride height will drive good or not. I doubt any shop would want to deal with rolling in a bare chassis> I don't see how it wouldn't work to set at ride height using solid links for the shocks to get close.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 53 Studillac View Post
                        Any particular good but not too expensive tools I should get to do a preliminary front end alignment so I can check for bump steer? I need to know if the combination or parts I have and ride height will drive good or not. I doubt any shop would want to deal with rolling in a bare chassis> I don't see how it wouldn't work to set at ride height using solid links for the shocks to get close.
                        alignment plates and something that allows the wheels to slide. My first 'tools' were nothing more then some 1" angle iron and 4 of those no-stick, teflon baking sheets...

                        that said, you can also do bumpsteer checking with a tape measure. See the attached picture - your camber should be at least 1-2* don't worry about castor at this point but eyeball 5* from vertical leaning towards the back of the car. In this moment, close really does count. Most times the biggest problem (especially on old cars) is you can't get enough negative castor.... why that's important is it affects bumpsteer.



                        The other important thing to measure is ackerman - how much the inner tire turns in relation to the outer tire. You want the inner tire to turn more because its circle is smaller then the one travelled by outer tire. If you get it the same or worse, less (inner), then it will literally take you 40 acres to turn your car around.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 2, 2022, 08:00 AM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

                        Comment


                        • REALLY helpful drawing Aaron! While I've never built anything starting with a bare chassis it's useful to know this stuff. The "Next Project" will start with a known good steering system but I may have to make some mods to fit the anticipated engine.

                          Dan

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            ... I may have to make some mods to fit the anticipated engine. Dan
                            So that MG is going to have a 231 in it?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

                              So that MG is going to have a 231 in it?
                              Nope.

                              Dan

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

                                Nope.

                                Dan
                                I've got a nephew with a 400 sbc probably 600ish hp looking for a home. Want me to ask if he'd lend it to you? It was supposed to be in Jim's hillclimb special. And if you need "More Power R R R" I've still got my Hilborns...

                                Love the Studilac. Spot on on the suspension recommendation above.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X