No announcement yet.

1953 Studebaker / Studillac project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1953 Studebaker / Studillac project...

Great project.......and some great engineering

and a great car!

Now how 'bout some 409 headers
    for my '55 Chevy
    ;D
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Monk it could happen if you get in a bind! One of my passions is designing stuff so if anyone
      needs a bracket or even something major I can hook you up if you have some patience.

Dwayne

Comment

Speaking of designing, I am at work with time on my hands when not out working so....

Since I have decided to go with the open hood for now because I like the velocity stack
        look and don't want to cut up a good cowl hood, I have a new issue. Rain! Especially if
        attempting a long pre-scheduled event like the Power Tour. I realize it never rains but
        even so I want to be prepared! With that in mind I believe it was a 50s Buick in Hot Rod
        that had an aluminum cover over the air cleaner that looked like it would shed rain. At first
        I was just gonna copy that design to fit over my air cleaners. But then it hit me to make
        my induction look as tall and as mean as possible! I remembered something like what I
        had in mind on the old Ramcharger and I think it will look pretty darn cool. So for the last
        couple weeks or so I've been drawing new air scoops and think I have something to build!

There is no telling how many hours I have in this complete model! Its been in progress for
        several years!

The front opening is roughly 5.75" x 12.5".

Back to what started this brainstorm, rain... The way I have it designed I can simply rotate
        the entire scoop 180 degrees with a few bolts so that the opening faces to the rear! At least
        it shouldn't intake a bunch of water that way? And what do you guys think of adding a
        removable grill over the opening? I like it both ways. So far I have asked 2 people and it's
        1 to 1 on the voting! Just remember this ain't no democracy!

Dwayne
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 53 Studillac; February 20, 2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Dwayne, thats some beautiful work! Ithink a clear plexiglass hood would look good, you could carve a wood buck and vacuum form one with your talent. Now I need to go hide my wireties.......(from myself of course)

Comment

Hey Dwayne, next time you go to Potters let me know. I'd love to see this beast in the flesh and Potters is only about 45 minutes away.
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Facing it forward is not going to do much for your water problems, backwards will however. I actually don't really like any of them all that much, they look great in a rendering but the car doesn't have the boxy lines to make a scoop like that flow with it. Weirdly I vote for a shaker type arrangement.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

NAS you are the 2nd person to suggest a clear hood, I like the idea but have never seen one!

This place is supposed to have the capability to produce one should I ever decide to give it a
                try. A friend of mine ran into them at PRI last year and talked to them about it...

I have a tall cowl hood that looks great on the car and I could use it if I just remove the velocity
                stacks. The nose slopes off so much and the engine is so long making the front just too high.

I was just thinking the open hood and tall scoop might be fun for a time and will probably
                eventually put the cowl hood back in place.

Pumpkin, will do on the Potter trip. Sometimes in first quarter next year I should trailer the car
                up to Soddy for springs, pushrods and some engine checks before we lite the fire!

CTX, the idea was to be able to turn it facing the rear if rain was imminent and leave it facing
                forward the rest of the time...

Maybe it's too simple but I may bend one up anyway just to look at it on the car.

Dwayne
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 53 Studillac; February 20, 2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Is that cowl something you added or is it part of the hood. It looks like what I have been looking for for my '67 Cougar.

Comment

Originally posted by 53 Studillac
                    NAS you are the 2nd person to suggest a clear hood, I like the idea but have never seen one!

This place is supposed to have the capability to produce one should I ever decide to give it a try.
                    A friend of mine ran into them at PRI last year and talked to them about it...

I have a tall cowl hood that looks great on the car and I could use it if I just remove the velocity
                    stacks. The nose slopes off so much and the engine is so long making the front just too high.

I was just thinking the open hood and tall scoop might be fun for a time and will probably eventually
                    put the cowl hood back in place.

Pumpkin, will do on the Potter trip. Sometimes in first quarter next year I should trailer the car up
                    to Soddy for springs, pushrods and some engine checks before we lite the fire!

CTX, the idea was to be able to turn it facing the rear if rain was imminent and leave it facing forward
                    the rest of the time...

Maybe it's too simple but I may bend one up anyway just to look at it on the car.

Dwayne

The scoop shown in the above picture sure looks cool to me!
                    I can understand wanting to show off that gorgeous intake system tho.... lots of help I am!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

67 the hood scoop came from a place in Belair Maryland, maybe Frank's Glass? I think the
                      guy is Frank Morowski (sp). The scoop is made specifically for the 53-54 Studebaker hood
                      but could easily be grafted onto others.... If you need a contact number I can find it when I
                      get home from work.

Thanks,
                      Dwayne

Comment

I don't know how in the heck I have missed this thread until now. I must really be going off the deep end. Saw a link to it over on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum.

What a project. Like the others here I admire your work and your ability to design such a machine. I would really like to see it in person some time.

I really love the full hood with the hood scoop, but like other have said I can understand wanting folks to see that beautiful engine.

Keep up the great work. I love reading through your reports.

Comment

awesome work - I like the bug-catcher appeal.... however, I'm not sure having square lines on a swooping body would work..... maybe follow the prostock snorkle scoop ideas? or have a clear scoop ala ZR1 vette.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Agreed that it may be a silly gamble but I can always change it! Plans are to have two hoods, the
                            cowl hood will be used with short air cleaner assy at some point I am sure. And maybe that is how
                            we should do the PT. I have a 2nd hood that isn't cut yet and will prob put the knife to it soon.
                            Parts for the scoop are being made and we'll see how it looks... Worse case its an interesting
                            conversation piece!

Thanks for the input, for first time am having 2nd thought in cutting my extra hood! lol

Dwayne
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 53 Studillac; February 20, 2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Needs some sort of bump to come most of the way up the stacks with the scoop sticking around 1.5-3 in above the bump to show the stacks but still be close to the hood. Then you could take the scoop off and put a clear bubble or other almost a cowl on top of the bump when its raining so you can still see the intake setup but it's protected.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

how did you come up with your runner length and plenum volume dimensions?
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X