Father-in laws 1966 Ford F-100 I have been building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father-in laws 1966 Ford F-100 I have been building

Well, her she is. This is a 66 f-100 that my dad-n-law, Mike Savka, bought in 1998. It had big block/ C-6 in it already, the old owner said it was a 460, turned out to be a very wore out 1972 429. The old owner had just detailed the engine before selling it, when I removed the engine to rebuild, I found out why he wanted to sell it. I found three oil pump drive shafts in the bottom of the pan, two of which were mangled. I had a local engine guy/friend, Jim Gabreil Sr. (Gabe's Grenade's Inc. ;D) do the machine work and help me put it together. We put in a 460 crank, full Comp roller valve train, I cleaned up the ports in the heads, added a 10" ATI converter to the rebuilt C-6, and put it all back in, among a ton of other repairs and mods I did to the whole truck. That was 1999-2000. Did some drag racing/Shows but, it was decided to paint it in 2002, as the paint was horrible looking, as well as all the weather stripping, etc, was bad. As most of you know, that stuff can eat up a lot of time when you are doing the work after hours and on weekends. It has been a long road but, there is light at the end of the tunnel, not a train, as it has felt for years. Here are some pictures, first one is from when it came into the family.

Fresh drivetrain going back in, 1999

Fresh mill all tuned and ready for battle, sit of the pants dyno says 490+, 3500RPM 10" converter made a HUGE improvement in how quick the truck is. Tested a friends Vericom 1000 G-tech on it, 13.11 at 110 on street rubber

Some before and after of the inside of the cab. Changed to silver from white. I had to make a whole new center dash and weld it in were the radio goes from the years of everyone hacking on it.

The uglyest colored seat you have ever seen, it was in prefect shape, free, and being recovered ;D

Rear of chassis done before the box went back on

I wish I took a before pic of the heater box, it was covered in white spray paint, here's the after shoot, these small pieces and parts are the fun stuff of a big project because you can see your handy work in a finished job in just a days worth of work, a good motivator to keep you working towards the finish line

I moved the gas tank to the box

I used the metal foot pad from a 79 Fseries with an Auto, cut and welded it to the 66 lever

I'll share more as I go.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Re: Father-in laws 1966 Ford F-100 I have been building

That thing is sweet! Nice work
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

And the most important part, the wife says that I can't touch my 66 till the black one is done. All the more reason to get my ass moving and finish his. I can't wait to park them next to each other at a show or cruise with the before and after signs hanging on the front of them, his shiney, mine rusty. I know which one will get more attention ;D

Comment

What a great project truck.

I'm not very familiar with the 385 series engines. What causes the oil pump shafts to get mangled and fall into the pan?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The guy pulling the distributer out of the engine to paint and detail, thats where things went wrong. In a Ford, the shaft has a locking washer of sorts, that is bigger the the hole in the block that the shaft sticks through so the dist. housing can slide over it, which is how the oil pump drives. When time goes by, the heat makes the locking washer not tight, carbon makes the oil shaft and dist. stick together, and when you pull the dist. up out, presto, theres the oil shaft. Thats not the problem, its getting the shaft back down in the oil pump, not easy, but it can be done. This guy made three attempts, I assume, figuring thats why he put the truck put for sale. I should have taken them back to his house and asked if he wanted them back ;D. Scott, thanks for the interest.

Comment

Great Truck.....Good Work as well.

Comment

Great work. The dash looks great. Looking forward to more progress updates.
              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Where are the pics of the hood?

Comment

Old pickups rule - nice work!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Wow, thats awesome!!!!
                    Can't wait to see it done! Lots of pics and got to take some video!

Comment

Cool built truck ;).That i like it,is a understatement ;D.

Comment

Updates, I've been working on the Dad-n-laws truck, got ALOT of rewiring done, and ALOT to go.

More pic's coming some,

here's a shot of the gauges with the lights on, we all have seen the red and green bulb covers in the Autometer boxes,
                        this was a prefect time to try them, I when with red first, and like it! Sorry for the pic, my camera didn't like taking that shot.

Comment

what bulb covers,, ?? I miss the look of my 85 t/a dash..
                          nicee truck,, why you install the 460 crank, the 429 one wasted or just for extra cubes or fordges, not a ford guy so, might be a dumb question..
                          like the silver dash, but how is it in the sun driving..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                            what bulb covers,, ?? I miss the look of my 85 t/a dash..
                            nicee truck,, why you install the 460 crank, the 429 one wasted or just for extra cubes or fordges, not a ford guy so, might be a dumb question..
                            like the silver dash, but how is it in the sun driving..
                            All Autometer gauges come with two little rubber bulb covers in with the hardware etc., one red, one green. I thought the red would would look different since the factory dash had green lights like all old Fords.

Here's a link to some for sale on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-321.../dp/B00062YWNS

Yes on added cubes for the reason to install a 460 crank. .060" over make it a 472".

And as for the siler dash in the sun, we haven't drove it yet that color but, it can't be worse than the color it was, white.

Comment

I have a set of white gauges(old style with 40's like pointers) and a set(well 2 sets) of sport comps (no filled) and no caps,

if you haven't dropped the bed back on.. the bed cap tape (double sided and rubber) is great for the top of the frame to bed , to use passed those rubber squares.. makes a world of difference, if you hate noises other than exhaust and solid tappets

Comment

Working...
                              X