51 buick traditional sled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 buick traditional sled

this has been a stretched-out project.... its the last of the barn-finds that led to me buying my current property.... was going to be a quick job as an early driver... but turned into a "littlebook" inspired custom... gave this one a break while i did a few customers' cars from the end fo the summer up to a few weeks ago. just revisited by stitching up the headliner and installing, repainting all interior trim, new windlace and wire-on, i just did period-correct bindings on the sectioned carpeting, and am awaiting my vinyls to do the seats.
    here's an abridged pictoral, for its first day out of the barn/chicken coupe to a finished exterior, to the currecnt and final steps of interior-ification. a little history and info- off the road since '71, 39xxx miles... mods include: shaved handles, frenched factory hood emblem, molded grill shell, narrowed 54 ford grill, custom lower valance [70-72 chevelle hood inverted] 1-off custom eyebrows, 63 impala tail lights, mostly decked, lowered, custom rear valance, 54 desoto bumpers, 53-54 NOS chrysler qtr panels hung from the trim down, ripple caps. running the orig straight 8/stick. i would have gone for a chop, but a real 2drht in these years is too hard to come by to chop it up too much. paint is a custom pistachio i mixed here, roof is a 7-stage metalflake over teal metallic. side pillars are aqua coarse flake over black, with green tinted clear- have to see it in the sun to behold whats goin on up top!

just have to reupholster the seats and can consider it done... i didnt want to do it, but they were a donation- the only aspect of the cars that's gikkicky..... but it operates off an NOS 40+ yr old switch i found.....it was the reason for the louvered section of the chevelle hood as a frt valance- to illuminate the grill shell a bit- looks better in person

Re: 51 buick traditional sled

that cool mild and cool there is a old guy like late 70's has one looks like yours did before the work he drives it every day all year i was next to him at a light then later that day he was at the shop i work at getting gas i dig it
    i want the factory tail lights lol

Comment

the 51's tail lights ended up on my rattruck!

Comment

How about more on that truck? Looks sweet.
        Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by trukluvr
          How about more on that truck? Looks sweet.
          There's a thread on it here....

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=16496.0

Comment

Looking at a restoration through a series of pics makes it look easy and fast. haha.

I'm curious about that real old TV in one of the pics that was on the floor of the car.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That's a great color and I love the work on the headliner and panels. Good Idea on the hood vents and you can't beat a 3 on the tree...........
              61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

still have the TV.. if you're into vintage radio/tv's/phonos... i have plenty to stock an antique shop in storage at 2 locations [north and south NJ] of you're into collecting.... i have plenty- the house is full! appliances too...

as to the color- thanks- i love it- i mixed the paint, and ran into the headliner material after the fact- real good match/compliment to the exterior- now finding that vinyl is a big frickin problem- no local shops are too interested in selling vinyl without getting the job- and i was even told by a guy who had to be close to 70- that he'd never seen such a wierd color- or figure why someone would want it.... what an idiot for 1) saying that to a customer, and 2) even thinking that after living through an era where EVERYTHING [kitchens, appliances, bathrooms, diners, cars, interiors] all had a version of mint/seafoam/pistachio green....

any of you guys have 4 yds of pistachio vinyl?!?! so far SMS seems like the only hope- the boat vinyl suppliers apparently discontinued their seafoam green which was a perfect match

Comment

Try Michigan Textiles in Ypsilanti, MI. They get the leftovers from the factories as well as other stuff and they have an unbelievable selection. The downside is that you may have to make a run over there to pick out what you want.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X