The Pacecar Racecar Project- 79 Mustang Indy Pace car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacecar Racecar Project- 79 Mustang Indy Pace car

Here is a 79 Mustang 2.3 Turbo Indy Pacecar that Bob Perrine (BS member 1956NY210) donated to me and my son to give the car a new lease on life. His oldest son Jesse rebuilt this car over 18 years ago as a BOCES project at school. The car has set next to Bob's garage since then, pretty much untouched until today. My goal is to turn it into a Swiss Arm Knife of a racecar of sorts. Using the near unlimited supply of fodder for FOX body Mustangs, I want to build a car that I (and my son Cam, when old enough ) can compete in Drag, Autocross, Open Road Race, LSR, and maybe some SCCA Dirt Rally and Ice Racing too. The time line is to have it safe and running for Maxton LSR in April for the Hot Rod event. It will be a "Buzz Bomb" build ,guerilla effort towards safety and funtion or looks, shine and speed for now. A cage, fuel cell, fire proofing, a good race seat and harness, lightening of the whole car, etc are first on the list.

This whole deal happened because of the BANGshift.com East Feast that took place in October. Bob lives 50 miles north of me, having never meet before then, we meet up and when to the Feast together. The story starts at a McDonalds in Wilkes Barre PA, that we, Mike (BS member Tinker) Bob, and I stopped at for lunch. I had mentioned an old FOX body Mustang that has been in my area for 10 years, seating in the same spot, being reminded of it because our trip out of town went right by it. I said to Bob and Tinker, that I would like to find a 79-82 Mustang to build into a multi-use racecar. Bob laughs, and says that he has one and " you can have it, come get". Then the shocker, "its one of those Indy Pacecars", OMG, my favorite FOX 'stang of all.

Well here we are today, these are some pic's from the big move. Thanks to my good friend Matt (BS member Billy the Kid) for lending his trailer with winch for the move, we made quick work of dragging the car from where it took root over the years. It actually took us longer to ho out all the parts that Bob and Jesse had piled up, then to load the car(we didn't ahy extra time trying to air the tires up after the RF blew apart as Bob added air, did your heart start back up yet Bob). I will move this over to the Project Car thread once the work begins. Everyone cross their fingers for us, 5 months till Maxton.

Bob, again, to you and your son, Thank You from me and my son.

Cam flying his BS colors with the new ride

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Re: The Pacecar Racecar Project has started!!!!

I hope you keep the 4 popper and the turbo...awesome project man..cant wait to see what you do with it...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

4 hole with the hair dyer is staying. There is this guy named Huber I think I need to get a hold of ;D

A 2.5 Ranger bottom end with a Turbo Coupe top end, is one thought, N/A set-up using Pony Stock oval track stuff from Speedway is enother way. A Paxton/Vortech, blowing threw a Holley 4v mite be fun, and work well for Autocross/Drags.

I am fighting the V-8 erge, if only an running SVO parts car would fall from the sky ;D

Comment

Congratulation to you and your son ;).And what a gift for christmas,from 1956NY210 ;).I have a friend over here doing rallycross and ice racing withe the exact same model of Mustang..yeah..indy pace car replica too..the Mustang purists over here,lined HA on him when he started removing the factory recaro interior,and talked about his ideas ;D

Comment

Bob's son Jesse is keeping the Recaro's, I hope he puts them in his man cave as furniture. This car has a paperwork issue, and 18 years of leaky sunroof damage to the inside so, a racecar is the right way to give it a new life.

Besides, the Pacecar to Racecar theme is kinda cool I think. How about "One of the Pack, now" across the rear spoiler?

I like the Pacecar-Racecar too.

Comment

What a great deal !!

Very nice thing to do 1956NY210 !!!!

Cam looks excited ! ( I think thats such a cool name !! )

Avoid the V-8 Just use more & bigger power adders

Comment

Just for helping your spirit of this project ;D.

Comment

And heres more ;).There is some seconds with the aforementioned Mustang there too.Its got a Chevy 350 engine though..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Found a pic of it too.

Comment

Arild, that was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its snowing here in New York right now, if this thing ran, we'd be cuttin donuts in the yard right now. My son and I almost piss our pants when the Bettle went by with the Christmas tree on the roof. I hope that pumps up Lohnes too, he's working on that turd truck when he should be building the "Frozen Spear"!

Thanks for sharing that video with us.

Comment

Try and keep the pace car paint job. Its different.Id go so far as to get the horses on the side too. there is a guy
                      that comes to the car show in Lake George with a bad ass one like that.

Comment

Ant, you hit the nail on the head. The sticker kit is 419 bucks from Phoenix Graphix, however. I think I am going to have a friend that does vinyl lettering and see what he can do, maybe just add some orange stripe decal for now. I have a friend that has one of these, he has the flag mount brackets for the back bumper, that would look tits going around a the cones at an Autocross ;D.

Comment

That will be fun to drive when it is done. Looks like it a good unit to start with. Enjoy.

Comment

Jeremy best of luck........its good to see BS East bearing fruit. No promises, but if there are any "all hands days" I may be able to come up with my son and participate in some manual labor (and learn a thing or two). Give me a holler, the worst that can happen is I can't do it that day

Looks like you got an early xmas present
                            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by arrowhead
                              Jeremy best of luck........its good to see BS East bearing fruit. No promises, but if there are any "all hands days" I may be able to come up with my son and participate in some manual labor (and learn a thing or two). Give me a holler, the worst that can happen is I can't do it that day

Looks like you got an early xmas present
                              Thanks for the offer Tom, you need to come up for some Watkins Glen and Autocross action with the Goat for sure. We could even get Bob to throw the 56 through the cones too. I think this is going to be a big summer of BS.com get-togethers at tracks all over the east coast.

Comment

Working...
                              X