No announcement yet.

The Pacecar Racecar Project- 79 Mustang Indy Pace car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Pacecar Racecar Project has started!!!!

you've got more tires and wheels for that car than I have socks! Nice work - I'm sure you had a blast - can't wait to hear about it.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Every time I see a picture of that car I wish I owned it.

I wonder if I can find a repop of that front air dam.

Comment

Well the good news is nothing broke after two passes. 10.66 @ 67 was the high water mark. As thought by most of us, bog/ boost lag made the 60ft in the 2.40's, she's not a leaver for sure. When all 11psi. of boost does land, it pulls pretty good. I was surprised how good the SROD trans. worked, it took 6 shifts with the right pedal on the tin, 1 2 3 worked great for the 1/8 mile, with nice close ratios.

I think a switch to street tires causing some wheel spin off the line would help a ton with RPM-ing the engine, and maybe ALOT more RPM at launch as well, I was a little soft at about 2500 and walking the clutch out.

Now that I have boost after fixing the exhaust leak, and sticky front tires, I CAN'T wait for the next Autocross on Aug. 15.

John, I have thinned the heard of wheels in inventory, just have the 16" Ponies, and the skinnies but, I've already been searching for wheels for this winters Ice Racing, my thought is to run non-studded snows, that way I could also use them for SCCA dirt rally next year, killing two birds so to speak.

Bob, look on Ebay for the front air dam, thats where mine came from, here's a link for the same as I bought, which I love, rugged and it fit very well.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Thumbs up for all the different types of stuff you are doing with this car. You are living my dream, man. Just out bashing on this budget level car and it sounds like you are having a blast doing it.

Keep going and enjoy the ride.
          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Hey Jeremy! The Ford dealer in my area just had it's 100th year annivary and they had a car show to celabrate. This is owned by the owner of the dealership, Denny. It only has 37 miles on it!!!!

Comment

Oh, NICE!!

Comment

Oh my heavens Robby! I bet you couldn't wait to post that pic. Thanks for sharing little buddy!

Aug. 14 and 15 is a big Autocross here at BU campus. Come on down for the weekend and stay at Westfall Manor, and run your R/T. Mike might run the Kojack Diplomat or maybe his R/T. You two could start the smack talkin' now lol.

Comment

Thougt you might like this too! 20,000 OG miles!!!

Comment

The perfect tow rig! Yes I likey!!!

Comment

Worked on a few things today, got one of the Scat Pro seats mounted up the way I wanted it. The RCI alloy seat I was using was great for support, comfort, not so much. Theres a two day auto-x on the 14th and 15th, figured it was a good idea.

I made a back brace out of a muffler clamp and some flat stock.

Found that using the plastic timing belt cover from the SVO motor, the timing was about 30 degrees off on the scale. I found that the 79 pulley, and 84 were marked about that much different, 30 degrees, from the keyway. The engine seems to like 14 degrees base, and the vacuum advance hooked up. I put 5 gallons of 110 CAM2 in with 93 pump swill, no spark knock under load at 8-10psi of boost right to 6000 RPM so, I think thats where it's staying.

Comment

Can I suggest that you add a hell of a lot more square inches to the part of the back brace that is against the seat. Remember that if you go in rear first a lot of force will be concentrated on that area.

I got burnt by the pulley timing mark issue when I had someone do an air conditioner upgrade. he swapped some pulleys and I didn't know that the timing mark had moved. Blew an engine on the my first SVO.

Comment

Bob, you keep thinking high speed, like your car does, this slug is just a parking lot racer lol. (for now ;))

I'm going to make an adjustable mount with alot more area in the future, something that can move with the seat for different driver sizes, another reason I changed the seat, to get some friend feet wet auto-x-ing.

This was just a temp piece so the vanilla gorilla that drives this heap won't brake the seat hinge lol.

Comment

Good point, I was just thinking about getting speared in the back after spinning it into a concrete wall at a good speed. :o

You have a plan for it, good enough.

I think its really cool that you're having fun with this car.

Comment

The fun has been two fold, the building and tinkering has almost been more fun than racing the car.

I do regret, however, stripping all of the street legal stuff off and chucking most of it. I think this thing would be a ball to drive on the street, and now that I've sold the 70', I've been jones-in for a fix of speed. Thank the racing gods theres a double header two day autocross this coming weekend.

Comment

Well after two full days of Autocross, 16 runs total, the heap is still holding together.

Here's the hardware I brought home for winning my class

And thanks to Tinker, a few action shots

Comment

Working...
                                X