No announcement yet.

The Pacecar Racecar Project- 79 Mustang Indy Pace car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Pacecar Racecar Project has started!!!!

Congrats Jeremy ;).You must be one hell of a driver,or where you the only one in that class? ;D.Cool shots..it looks evil with blacked out lights.

Comment

Good job Jeremy, That car is loving its revival.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Nice haul. Congrats!!

Comment

SWEEEEET! ;D
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
            Congrats Jeremy ;).You must be one hell of a driver,or where you the only one in that class? ;D.Cool shots..it looks evil with blacked out lights.
            Thanks guys, and Arild, I'll never tell how many were in my class this week ;D, a hint, I had it wrapped before I unloaded the car lol. I was close to the P.A.C.S. times, which is some kind of highwater mark the SCCA uses for comparing cars in the same class from all over country. It's like an average time thing, not sure how it all works, just that the R.E. of my region said if your close to the PACS times, your doing good. Hard to believe this was my third event and I'm running that close.

I need to push the car harder before braking, running it deeper into the gates and corners. To compare apples to oranges, most of the street prep. Vettes were in the mid 41 second area, I was in the low 44's, and ran a 43.33 once.

I'm thinking of a gear swap to 4.10's too. The 3.27's just don't cut it to get out of the starting box, but do work well to go around the coarse.

And Arild, the headlights are house door screen I hot glued to the headlight bezels, than spray painted black. I'm building brake cooling ducts that will draw air from them.
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

What were your alignment specs? I'd suggest significantly more negative camber (Driver's side front tire has rolled over on the top car pic) How bout some bigger sway bars?

If you are going to drive deeper in, you might want to also go with stiffer front springs and fiddle with your shocks. You're already diving under braking.

I've got to try Auto-X.

Comment

All good points Bob. Pretty much all the front suspension is old junk I gathered during the build from friends. 87 GT front sway bar and F & R springs, cut to lower, the used 95 GT shocks, struts and rear sway bar that came with the K-frame/rear axle I used.

I've got a touch more than 4 degrees negitive camber with the stock strut plates maxed, and 1/16 toed out. I need to lower the whole car but, the SN-95 wheels have about 1.5" to much positive offset so tire rub would be a problem. the car has a ride height rake, and a rubber rake to the front so it looks like its diving harder than it does. I've yet to slide a back tire under braking with the valve at full bias for rear brakes. And thats at a 57/43 front to back weight bias. My friend Steve that came into town for the autocross with his Saleen S351 pointed out that the stock rear SN95 calipers are kinda wimpy and thought I should swap them first for something bigger before doing anything to the front brakes.
                He works for Team GMG, a GT3 Porsche team, and has been to his share of road races, so it was nice to have his point of view there this weekend.

I really want to invest in a coil-over setup for all four corners over winter, when new shocks, strut and good strut plates go in, just for the easy tune-ablity in ride height.

I have an issue with front sway bars, the SN-95 lower A arms have the holes for the swaybar links further apart than the front bar is wide, cocking the links at an angle. And an SN-95 bar fits a FOX body like a saddle on a ckicken. I think I may build a front bar using Troyer and Bicknell dirt car parts from the local speed shop this winter as well. H & R has a bigger rear bar that I like.

All in due time.

Comment

Tinker and I are off to E.S.T.A. Dragway in Syracuse NY just after I type this. There was an autocross 2hrs. west of me today but, we found out the 1/4 ml strip was having an all day test and tune so.......

A 15.99ET would make my day, and I will be able to check off one more type of track use with the car after today.

Report to come ;D

Comment

17.17ET @ 74mph

I'm still have a valve timing issue after twice removing and reinstalling the timing belt. It's causing some sparkknock thats not fuel or ignition timing related, so I didn't beat on it like a rented mule like I wanted to.

I think the pointer for the crank mark may be off, time to pull the #1 spark plug and set TDC that way. I think an adjustable cam spocket may be ordered here in the next few hours also.

All in all it was a good day at the track.

Comment

Yep, don't trust the pulley mark and pointer. If you've swapped any pulleys, they are marked differently. That lesson cost me an engine.

At least you made it to the track, I keeping threatening to run the DD SVO at the dragstrip, I need to get off my ass and do it.

I've never drag raced...I suppose I can still make a fool of myself.

Comment

Time for the wooden dowl trick, or - if you have a long reach set up for your dial indicator.... remark that balancer and see what happens.

Good luck - and - the worst day at the track still beats a regular day at work right?
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                          the worst day at the track still beats a regular day at work right?
                          True that!
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

One thing I CAN say for the Import guys showing up at the track for test&tune, they bring their hot girl friends with them,

so yes,a bad day at the track, is far better than a good day at work!

Comment

No pics? ;D

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!! Valve timing problem solved, which also solved my lack of boost issue. With the whole tune re-set and dailed in, I now have a non-wastegated 15psi, and around 10 with it hooked up. It also now hits the MSD rev chip at 6500rpm before blinking an eye.

So after some test&tune on my road, I loaded up and when to my local SCCA region Autocross yesterday, and all I can say is WOW, what fun this car is with it making power. I actually had to pedal it most of the runs in the afternoon, to kept form spinning the drag radials I'm unning on the back.

So, back to the 1/8 and 1/4 soon to see where the new tune has the ET's and MPH.

Here's is the wood plague that my SCCA region gives all it's member. I appiled all four of the the dash plagues from the events I've ran, since this was the last one for the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X