No announcement yet.

The Pacecar Racecar Project- 79 Mustang Indy Pace car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Pacecar Racecar Project has started!!!!

Originally posted by mustang13
    Mail me the cardboard templets ;D
    No problem,but if i say that the flat steel have a inner diameter of 760 millimeter,it should be easy to duplicate..actually to form the flat steel was the tricky part..i had to use a square tube to hold the flat steel together in the vals..using only a piece of flat steel,and it will wobble and it will not look right.

When you have the falt steel formed,the steel plates will form after it..at least you have something to make a template from.. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
      You going to C prep...holy crap.

Rolling with the big dawgs.
      Yeah, found out that was the class I should have been in all along. The local region guys aren't to up on the rule book, and most really aren't gearheads through and through either. I've been appointed "Tech Inspector" for the 11' season so I must have impressed someone with my BS but, I can overlook the fact of being in the wrong class myself so I need to do whats right and move to that class ;D.

Turns out gutting the interior/lights etc. is the final straw to put you in CP. I could remove the turbo but, I think that puts me with the prepared Miata's so, I'm a goldfish swimming with sharks either way lol.

All a learning curve the way I see it. At least doing all the pre event car tech gets me out of chasing cones!
      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Anythings better than chasing cones.

Take off the turbo, perish the thought...LOL

Comment

I've been inspired by your efforts ;D, If your moving into C-prep, then that's where I'll be with my next project. ;)

I decided to jump at an opportunity to buy an old IMSA/RS Gremlin with a I-6 in it. It's a race car, so the plan was to first get going with some SCCA autoX and learn how to drive a car around corners. It'll be odd roaring around corners clamped into a 4-wheeled cage rather than having my knee on the ground ??? but once I get that figured out some I would then like to do some SVRA stuff occasionally (Group8-RS)

I've been on the SCCA site trying to figure out what class it will fall into, but could not figure it out from clicking around the SCCA web site. So if gutted interior is the deciding factor it makes it real easy to figure out if your starting with an 'ol race car. :D

As much as I love cool street cars I truly miss driving all out. Seeing how much fun your having with your car was a big part of deciding to go for this car. I'm going to store it for a year or two before completely tearing into it, but I will start with some small stuff like figuring out the status of the cage as it relates to current tech requirements right away so I can plan in any needed changes to the foundation of the car right away.

Comment

Mike, that sounds like its going to be an awesome project! Yes, the SCCA site, and rules following is daunting for sure.

If you have a local SCCA Autocross region near by, take the car to an event so the brian trust you will be racing with can look it over, it may help you/them figure out the class the car with be in so you can the stick as sharp as the rules allow.

In the meantime will this project waits, run your daily driver in a few AutoX's, from my point of view, seeing the coarse through a sea of orange cones is the hardest part of running, and the more practice you have the easier it becomes.

Oh, and I hope a project thread is to come "Cone Killer Gremlin" ;D

Comment

Hey jeremy..is there any benefits of using a 93 model crossmember on the 79 Notchback?..My buddy have heard it from some firm in the states..

Comment

Not sure what the benefit would be Arild, I think maybe more wheelbase? A arms are the same to I think.

I still have the stock 79 K member, with 94 SN95 A arms and spindles, which moved the track wideth out a bunch. 05-up wheels work the best with this set-up back space wise.

I would say a Maximun Motorsports tubular K member would be the way to go if money and rules aren't a challenge.

If I use a tubular K member in SCCA, it moves the car into a class with tube chassis cars, NOT! I'll stick with the stock one.

Comment

'87-93 V8 K's are 1" wider between the lower a -arm pivots. This moves the wheels even farther outward.

I wanted to help show the differences between the early year and later year k-members that has been discussed in various threads here over the years. I have a 1980 k-member and a 1987 k-member so I took some measurements and pictures to show everyone. I will just use links to the pictures to make this easier to read. First, I have seen pictures of 1979 k-members that look just like my 1980 model. The 79-80 k-member that I used looks different from 1981-1986 k-members. Notice the V-brace on
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

On a project note, I've got a new clutch kit, my T5 all tuned up and ready, a clutch kit for the diff., and some other new parts stock piled waiting for a warm few days to work in the garage.

I think I have decided to go with QA1 adjustable struts and shocks with their coil-over kits for both. As cash allows, I'd like to have a set of AutoX, and drag racing spring rates on hand so I can adapt to run either a the drop of a hat.

I found this kit on line at Jegs, seems to make adding any brand coil over to the rear of a 79-04 Mustang a breeze.

Comment

Found out today,that those 79 and 93 lower a arms are the same length...and looks the same.The balljoint arent the same,but i guess the ball joints could be changed over?..he will use the 93 arms,so im just trying to understand if there are some differences between them.

Oh,btw..he have 9 inch wheels mocked up front now..and those could be widened to 10 inches if he wants it..flares makes lots of room ;).tires should be 285x40x17..

Comment

Did a little T5 prep getting ready for the swap/clutch replacement.

Added new seals, polished the main drivegear retainer(used Mother's Mag Wheel stuff,to cheap to buy a steel one, which makes the bearing slide better they say). The race for the maindrive gear was not the tightest in the retainer so I did a trick the old man showed me, prick punched the retainer to give the race something to hold to, and added to dabs of loc-tite. I think I'm going to run Royal Purple Synthetic ATF in the trans., a couple friends have used it with good luck in T5's.

Bolted up the Hurst Comp. Plus stick too. The stock SVO stick is a Hurst but, doesn't have bolt stops like a Comp. Plus version.

Thanks to my good friend Doug Miller for the $FREE.99 shifter.

Comment

Nice work Jeremy - you will LOVE that shifter!
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

What clutch/pressure plate are you going with. I gotta order one soon and have no idea what's any good at this point.
                            It's kinda a mix & match setup for my T5 application made even more complicated by the fact that my input shaft has 32 (I think) splines on it now too. ???

Comment

I was going to run a RAM SuperGrip clutch set but, bought a clutch kit through my local Carquest instead. Saved $180 smackers, that are going towards coil-overs and bigger rubber hopefully.

I may regret ot buying a "good" clutch but, I'm trying to spread the play money out over refinements with the whole car.I am going to drag race alot more this year, and that where I think I'll have wished I bought a "good" clutch. I'm hoping the futher measures of Jenny Craig i put the car through will help with clutch life as well.

Yes John, I've rowed this kind of shifter alot in friends cars, and me likeys. I don't dig the short levers though, thats the stock SVO lever, with the rubber bushings removed, and the metal cover plate modified so I can move the lever back and fourth till it feels right, then tighten it down with the longer grade 8 bolts I used, with crown lock nuts added on the back side of the base to make sure it all stays tight.

Comment

I use a Pro5.0 shifter with my stock SVO handle. I substituted nylon bushings for the rubber. Drilled out to take the stock bolts. Works like a charm.

I can't stand having to lean forward to shift into 3rd or 5th, so those shorty handles don't work for me.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X