No announcement yet.

The Pacecar Racecar Project- 79 Mustang Indy Pace car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got home from event, best time was a 35.84 second run, and FTD(fastest time of day) was a 34.70 set by a Miata in a prepared class, so I wasn't to far from the top of the pile.

Darren, to answer your question on the tires, these are DOT approved tires but, are R compound and have a 50 treadwhere so it's tough to compare them to "street tires". These tires are an in-between compared to a street tire and a racing slick as far as traction goes. The traction additive just freshens older tires back up and helps to add back the oils tires lose curing over time. R compound tires are never as sticky as when you first buy them. the problem with sticky tires on a slower Auto-X is that you carry alot of stones around the coarse with you because you're not going fast enough to keep your tires clean added to the fact that most Auto-X's are held in public parking lots that are covered in pebbles etc.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

• Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

• Originally posted by mustang13 View Post
        I hope you didn't knock over all those cones in the straight line

Refresh my memory, are you still running a turbo on the race car pace car? The pictures are playing with my head. If you are, what are you running?

Forgot to ask-- Could you tell any difference with the "strut brace"?
        Last edited by 1trickpony; May 2, 2011, 06:47 PM.
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

Just got home from event, best time was a 35.84 second run, and FTD(fastest time of day) was a 34.70 set by a Miata in a prepared class, so I wasn't to far from the top of the pile.

Darren, to answer your question on the tires, these are DOT approved tires but, are R compound and have a 50 treadwhere so it's tough to compare them to "street tires". These tires are an in-between compared to a street tire and a racing slick as far as traction goes. The traction additive just freshens older tires back up and helps to add back the oils tires lose curing over time. R compound tires are never as sticky as when you first buy them. the problem with sticky tires on a slower Auto-X is that you carry alot of stones around the coarse with you because you're not going fast enough to keep your tires clean added to the fact that most Auto-X's are held in public parking lots that are covered in pebbles etc.
          Thanks for the rundown. I've never driven anything with aggressive tires before. A buddy of mine was running some 100 treadwear rating tires on a Mini Cooper and he was smiling ear-to-ear when he told me about how he couldn't get the car to slide no matter how hard he tried. lol

I can imagine your quarter panels take some serious flak with the amount of rocks found in parking lot. Anyways, doesn't seem to be hurting you tood bad - congrats on the awesome performance! You're definitely motivating me to give auto-X a try.

Comment

• I thought of you Jeremy,when i saw this vid..but then i turned up the volume....Enjoy!!.

Comment

• OH MY GOD!!!!!! Arild, that was bad ass! That guy has mad skill behind a wheel. Yes, I've been thinking of 12 to1 347ci power lately, instead of a Pinto motor with a hairdryer for the Pace car lately. Don't get me wrong, I love the little mill that can, I just don't like the turbo lag, which you don't have with a high compression V8 on a short coarse.

Comment

• Ordered an Afco front coil-over kit from the local dealer/speed shop today. Torn between 425lb, and 450lb front springs though. Was going to call their tech line tomorrow for some help with that, as well as a rear coil-over set-up that would work for what I'm doing.

I hoping for another 70 pounds of mass shed from the swap. Next AutoX is May 29, I hope to have them installed for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	afco_79-04_strut-442x585.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	854968

Comment

• Drool!!!!.Thats one of my plans for next season,if the money stays..

Comment

OH MY GOD!!!!!! Arild, that was bad ass! That guy has mad skill behind a wheel. Yes, I've been thinking of 12 to1 347ci power lately, instead of a Pinto motor with a hairdryer for the Pace car lately. Don't get me wrong, I love the little mill that can, I just don't like the turbo lag, which you don't have with a high compression V8 on a short coarse.

left foot braking is your answer.
                    Last edited by Bob Holmes; May 17, 2011, 09:18 AM.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

• I tryed that at the last AutoX and it helped for sure. I just wish the car made that chirpy sound the Audi rally cars of the 80's made LOL.

I need more clamping force from the rear calipers more than anything. The stock 95 GT calipers just don't have enough ass to lock up the rear for trail braking effect, which will help me stay in the gas in the gates longer. I may try a set of Hawk pads but, I think I'm going to a Wilwood caliper in use with the stock rotor. I'm also going to give all the calipers a good a re-bleed too.

Comment

• The start of something good I hope. Just got the Afco font coilover kit, springs(400lb) should be here in a day or so. Not sure which coil over to go with in the ass, called Afco's tech line for some help, need to get some more data for them to help. UPR has a nice hardware kit for adding rear coil overs for $79, like the ones in the second picture, that I'm ordering today. I need to bolt them on, set the car to ride height and measure.

Name:	0522011623.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	855082

Name:	UPR-2006-07_MED.jpg
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	855083

Comment

• Nice!
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• I'll be very interested to find out how those work for you. Pics during the install?
                            I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                              Pics during the install?

You can plan on it Bob. It's suppose to be pretty easy. I did forget to buy a spanner wrench to adjustment them with though.

First points AutoX Sunday. I have yet to came up with bupkiss on a better caliper that will "bolt on" in the rear, THATS what I really could use the most for better lap times. A call to Wilwood is in order as soon as I have a chance.

Comment

• Well, I didn't get the front coil-overs installed before the AutoX that I ran on Sunday. We had a bad storm go through our area last Thursday night, which took out the power to 40,000 plus in several Counties in my area. I lost power from Thurs. 9:10pm to Mon. 7am, so no garage work was done over the long weekend for me, which I planned on doing.

Anyway, the car worked great Sunday, Fastest Time of the Day was a 46.65, and my best time was a 48.68 so, only a tick off. I don't feel bad considering the car is a 66 Vette with an all alloy 427 smallblock, 12" of rubber on each corner, and Pat Brennan the owner/driver has autocrossed this same car for 31 years. He has had FTD at almost every event in our region for two years now. I hope to end his reign by the end of summer lol. Oh, he also happens to be my boss LOL.

Here are the coilovers together with the KYB struts I got a great deal on at the local Carquest. I went with 400lb. Afco springs. I may switch to better struts next year, I just don't have any idea what brand, need more research.

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	855218Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	855217

These Afco coil-overs have a patented locking tab to keep them where you put them.
                                Last edited by mustang13; May 31, 2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X