Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBR's 83GT - 552 BBF version 3.0 (at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    Ok, switched to a different channel on the coil igniter and it only buzzes if the MS and coil are on but the igniter is not. Once I turn the key, the igniter gets power and the buzzing stops. If the igniter and the coil were on the same circuit, it would never buzz.

I managed to make a vid of the stutter I am chasing. It starts at about 1-3 psi. After I made this, I moved the coil wire so that it is now well away from the TFI and wiring. I have not driven it since because I had to leave.

I started thinking of it as a stutter and that opened up a whole new set of google results. Some caused by too much fuel and some caused by electrical noise, like a coil wire being too close to sensitive wiring.

Last edited by BBR; July 1, 2021, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    current draw?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    (fingers crossed for you)

Dan

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I monkeyed with it some more yesterday. I took the MSD coil off and installed the brand new Mallory TFI coil I got with all the EFi stuff for Greenbean. Heck if it didn't buzz louder than the MSD! Haha, so I just put the MSD back in. It only buzzes when the engine is not running. When it is running, it makes no noise at all.

The distributor cap is something I changed sometime after Raceweek. It was the cap that came on the Duraspark distributor we used for a while. It is black and has brass terminals so I though it would be better. Jonathan had a stock gray Motorcraft cap so I compared the two. I don't know if it makes a difference, rotor phasing maybe, but the towers on the black one are shifted about 1/8" counter clockwise on the distributor when compared to the Motorcraft one. I can't imagine that the difference is helping matters any, so I popped the Motorcraft one on for now.

If we get a break in the rain today, I will try to test drive it and see if we have made any improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210701_101936.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	952.4 KB
ID:	1297519

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Ouch!! I once bought a Bronco that PO thought had a flat cam lobe. It was a break in the coil casing, tick tick tick while it's zapping to ground... saw it at night with the hood open, so glad I wasn't digging around when it was running. I've had an HEI grab me from a tiny uninsulated area of the pliers (scratch in the coating) and 35 years later, I can relate still. POW POW POW POW POW POW, threw those pliers straight in the trash. These days I'd probably re-coat them, but I was, uh, upset. Glad it didn't send you into afib. :|

Leave a comment:

Working...
X