Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBR's 83GT - 552 BBF version 3.0 (at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    I set a head on with no gasket and just started roughly looking at rocker geometry and P2V clearance.

These SCJ heads have different valve locations than a standard BBF head. Usually this requires a dedicated piston. However, the pistons I have in this thing have a pretty decent dish. I rotated the engine over checking to see if there was valve travel about evey 15 degrees. With the cam that is still in it and no head gasket, there is still tons of P2V clearance. I will check it with clay after the new cam is installed, but it seems like no fly cutting will be needed. This is a big relief.

I am going to have to get some different pushrods. The one's I have (from previous projects) look to be a little short.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240119_165517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	443.1 KB ID:	1348364
    Last edited by BBR; January 19, 2024, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    Well now, that's not what I was expecting to see. Cyl #2 is being weird. Funny part is the car runs great. Maybe just a bad intake gasket sucking a little oil? This is 1300 miles of running at 3000+ rpm for hours at a time. Maybe a bad valve stem seal?
    I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow maybe just for grins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-1602849459.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1340162
    I know what the problem was. The #2 exhaust port is the only one on that bank that is connected to the exhaust crossover passage. I did not block the crossover on the intake face with a piece of sheet metal like I normally do. The exhaust heat finally cooked the intake gasket and it started sucking oil from engine valley. The crossover passage is all oily and gooey inside. Lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    This one was just thrown together so I am considering making a nice one and just leaving it in the car all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    I like that trans support bracket idea
    I'm sure others on here are thinking,
    DAMM that's so simple, why didn't I think of that Myself !!
    I was using these "Saved Special Wood Blocks" for when needed for that !!
    And now you can MOVE the car if Needed.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Whoo hoo here we go!
    Engine is out and on the stand. I cleaned the piston tops a little but the bores all look fantastic. I built this short block back in 2015, I believe.

While the engine is out I'm also going to swap back to my PG Raceshop 4000 converter. The current Hays is a 2800 and it's just too tight.

I made a quickie cross member that bolts in underneath the transmission to support the front of the transmission while the engine is out. I don't know why I haven't thought of this before because it works great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_181824.jpg Views:	0 Size:	606.5 KB ID:	1348318 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_184423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	604.4 KB ID:	1348319 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_195134.jpg Views:	0 Size:	614.5 KB ID:	1348320 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_195240.jpg Views:	0 Size:	379.4 KB ID:	1348321 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_195712.jpg Views:	0 Size:	558.1 KB ID:	1348322
    Last edited by BBR; January 19, 2024, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    Next move is pulling the engine so I can get on with this head/cam swap. Because these heads have altered valve locations, I may need to cut valve reliefs in these pistons. I think it will be easier to do that if the engine is out on a stand. Pulling it is not a real big deal.

While it is out, I am going to swap to the looser converter I ran with the original 552 (PG Raceshop PGX 4000) . The current converter (Hays 97-2G24F 2400-2800) worked good in the yellow truck but is a little too tight for a light car.
    It's interesting that my non-car friends think pulling an engine is way beyond brain surgery and folks like us see it as an intermediate step to REAL work.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Next move is pulling the engine so I can get on with this head/cam swap. Because these heads have altered valve locations, I may need to cut valve reliefs in these pistons. I think it will be easier to do that if the engine is out on a stand. Pulling it is not a real big deal.

While it is out, I am going to swap to the looser converter I ran with the original 552 (PG Raceshop PGX 4000) . The current converter (Hays 97-2G24F 2400-2800) worked good in the yellow truck but is a little too tight for a light car.
    Last edited by BBR; January 17, 2024, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I continue to live vicariously thru you.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I continue to live vicariously thru you.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    You can get fancy and put a little "H" between the banks, it might sound better, but the amount of work for temporary exhaust, I don't think it would happen at my house unless it sounded bad without.

I am not going to mention that turbos are mufflers
    I actually was considering putting a balance tube in. If for no other reason than to tie the sides together.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    You can get fancy and put a little "H" between the banks, it might sound better, but the amount of work for temporary exhaust, I don't think it would happen at my house unless it sounded bad without.

I am not going to mention that turbos are mufflers

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Where am I headed with all this?
    NA for now. With Raceweek coming up in June, I don't want to dive into a full turbo build. I do have 2 brand new GT45's that are just itching to go under this hood.

As bad as I hate it, it will have fender exit exhaust. I have long maintained that fender exhaust is just people being lazy and I am definitely being lazy here. Sort of. I could try to fix and reuse the old Hooker headers, but they are pretty beat and they take up a TON of room under the car by the transmission. Nobody makes BBF in a Foxbody headers anymore. Used ones are scarce and I have zero motivation to build a custom set (or pay for a custom set!)

Current line of thinking is crossing the exhaust side to side and running a small chambered muffler on each side to knock the sound down.

I think crossing side to side will also make hot side piping easier to route later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240116_090311.jpg Views:	0 Size:	628.6 KB ID:	1348133
    Last edited by BBR; January 16, 2024, 08:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Just Like the Old Warsawsky & Co. Catalog
    ​​​​​pages full of Adapters to match Chevy to Ford to Pontiac to Nash components!!
    Big sellers were the Cadillac to Anything bell housing adapters.
    Allards come to mind....

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I tapped the BBC holes and countersunk the BBF holes. I have some shallow socket head bolts ordered. Very happy with how it is all coming together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240115_161625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	1348081 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240115_161907.jpg Views:	0 Size:	620.9 KB ID:	1348082 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240115_171102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	557.5 KB ID:	1348083 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240115_171745.jpg Views:	0 Size:	513.2 KB ID:	1348084 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240115_172407.jpg Views:	0 Size:	649.9 KB ID:	1348085
    Last edited by BBR; January 15, 2024, 05:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Hey thanks for the link!! Those will probably work great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X