Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBR's 83GT - 552 BBF version 3.0 (at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR
    replied
    I watch his Youtube stuff. That deal is pretty neat. If I properly understand how it works, it is essentially a pulse width modulated vacuum leak that tweaks the afr by introducing additional air below the carb. Pretty clever invention.

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Just putting this here, maybe...

https://thecarbcheater.com/

Of course you'd need to run boost to it

I haven't seen it used in a boosted motor yet but someone will be the first to try.
    Last edited by 65RHDEER; November 30, 2023, 02:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    The efi is MS1 so it's dumb just like a carb. It has no way to read AFR and dynamically adjust itself. So you'd have 2 dumb, 100% user tuned systems doing their own thing completely unknowing of what the other is doing.

Might just be easier to poke some big injectors in it and go on my merry way.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    Shooting off on a tangent.....

Augmented fuel system vs. dual fuel system. By "augmented" I mean a dual system that works all the time, not either/or.

Now in normal BBR thought, (read: oddly out of the box) I have been thinking about an augmented system using a blow thru carb and efi. Efi side for the fine tuning and additional fuel. In my head, the carb could really be a normal n/a setup carb (maybe with plugged pv's) and then use the efi to fine tune it under boost. I wouldn't need giant injectors and I could run the efi off a smaller fuel cell with race gas, E85 or 98. Sorta like meth injection system on steroids. Additionally you'd get a side benefit of charge cooling with the blow thru. Seems like a fun idea to try.

Really just tossing up silly ideas to see if any stick. Haha.​
    in other words, a carb plate nitrous system without the nitrous. The biggest downside to making the system smart is that it would fight your other system. why not (just) bolt on a methanol system? get all the good without any further complexity.
    Or, better yet, NOx system as power enhancer and intake charge cooler. Freiburger and I debated this long ago when I had the tiny blower on my Buick - think he has recommended it recently

*"just" I loathe the word. would rather hear moist.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 27, 2023, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Hmmmmmmm .....

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Shooting off on a tangent.....

Augmented fuel system vs. dual fuel system. By "augmented" I mean a dual system that works all the time, not either/or.

Now in normal BBR thought, (read: oddly out of the box) I have been thinking about an augmented system using a blow thru carb and efi. Efi side for the fine tuning and additional fuel. In my head, the carb could really be a normal n/a setup carb (maybe with plugged pv's) and then use the efi to fine tune it under boost. I wouldn't need giant injectors and I could run the efi off a smaller fuel cell with race gas, E85 or 98. Sorta like meth injection system on steroids. Additionally you'd get a side benefit of charge cooling with the blow thru. Seems like a fun idea to try.

Really just tossing up silly ideas to see if any stick. Haha.​

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Headers are here. Decent looking parts. I think I can make them work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231121_100331.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	1345536

Leave a comment:

• langleylad
    replied
    I have a feeling that nobody here at BS has a problem cutting stuff up !

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    Originally posted by langleylad View Post

In this hobby (lifestyle) you can’t be afraid to cut stuff up …
    I have no problem with chopping stuff up. I figure if it doesn't currently fit, I'm no worse off if I modify it and it still doesn't fit.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    I like I posted before......
    These are NOT Mistakes!!
    They are Experiments!!
    Some are More Successful Than Others....

Leave a comment:

• langleylad
    replied
    I was looking at headers because the driver's side header is jacked up. The Hooker's I have on it are no longer available and other BBF to Fox chassis headers are crazy expensive. I ran across these on sale (>$300) and since I am still playing with the idea of putting the GT45's on this engine, I ordered a set..

Now, these are an upswept forward design that I do not think will fit in this car as is. BUT, my highly calibrated eyeball thinks I can flip the flanges (BBF flanges do not fit properly upside down) and make them go down and forward.without too much trouble. At the very least, they are a better start than me making a set.from scratch.

Click image for larger version Name:	headers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.8 KB ID:	1345312
    Click image for larger version Name:	header2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	1345313

In this hobby (lifestyle) you can’t be afraid to cut stuff up …

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I was looking at headers because the driver's side header is jacked up. The Hooker's I have on it are no longer available and other BBF to Fox chassis headers are crazy expensive. I ran across these on sale (>$300) and since I am still playing with the idea of putting the GT45's on this engine, I ordered a set..

Now, these are an upswept forward design that I do not think will fit in this car as is. BUT, my highly calibrated eyeball thinks I can flip the flanges (BBF flanges do not fit properly upside down) and make them go down and forward.without too much trouble. At the very least, they are a better start than me making a set.from scratch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	headers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.8 KB ID:	1345312
    Click image for larger version  Name:	header2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	1345313

Last edited by BBR; November 15, 2023, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    The efi "harness" in this car consists of a bunch of individual wires running thru the firewall in various locations. Over the years, it has been pieced together, hacked up and spliced multiple times. It's a mess.

I have a full EEC-IV efi harness I got with the Mass-Flow kit a couple of years ago. When I start the head swap, I think I am going to dive into clearing out the old stuff once and for all.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	20231026_090005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	464.6 KB ID:	1344375
    Last edited by BBR; October 26, 2023, 08:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• langleylad
    replied
    I played with the car this afternoon. It is back to acting like it has a dead cylinder. All 8 plugs are firing and all 8 header tubes get hot.

I pulled the plugs and 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 were all dry all look identical. 2 and 3 were oily looking. So 2&3 have something going on. Maybe a compromised intake gasket or a toasted head gasket. Idk, but something is up with those two.

Not a big deal since I am going to do a head swap anyway. It will all come apart and I will figure out what the deal is.
    As much as it’s such a PITA this is half the fun of playing with these machines

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    I reloaded the tune to an earlier one and it really seemed like it was running fine now. I didn't run it long but it wasn't stumbling and the O2 gauge was reporting believable AFR numbers.
    Stuff like that makes using a carburetor sound good again. That is, until I need to make a jetting change and it's 95 degrees outside and 200 degrees under the hood! Haha.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X