Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBR's 83GT - 552 BBF version 3.0 (at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBR - "if"?!!! I have two words for you "power tow"

Randal - lol; but to differentiate trucks his is slow for a purpose (as it's a medium duty work truck), mine is slow to make people smell it longer and give kids on bikes a chance to out run it (with streamers flapping in the breeze).
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 20, 2011, 06:00 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I saw a 6.2 suburban a couple weeks ago, driving down the freeway in Phx, black smoke spewing from both pipes. I was impressed that someone was still driving one
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I can't believe we're bench racing slow.

Comment

• I can.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
            I KNOW I don't have 113mph in the Buick. Maybe a 107 or 108mph if I nail the tune and shift right, but no chance at 113mph. Now where can I shed 300lbs?
            Randall, if you are even halfway serious about this, I can personally promise you that there is an easy 200lbs of insulation and carpet padding in that buick. Remove interior, remove "extra" crap from under interior (even scrape the bottom side of the carpet) reinstall interior; visually the appearance is the same. Its amazing how much weight is in all that deteriorating cushy stuff.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• As a fellow Durango owner I can say that an upgrade in HP would be a good thing, mine is a 4.7 OHC with all the tow package goodies and 3:90 gears. I’ve been disappointed with it since the first time I towed with it. Just not enough torque at towing RPM.
              When I was pulling my Gremlin through the Virginia Mountains I was having dreams of a Diesel as the temp gauge would climb with the engine screaming in second at every steep climb… that and the fact that the salty winter roads have begun to win the rust war points to a new Larger tow truck in my future. If I lived in a rust-free area maybe more cubic Inches would be in the cards. How big can a small block Mopar go?
              I hope to get 200,000 miles prior to its demise, at about 175,000 now.

Comment

• There is not much in the interior of the Silver Buick. I was warned about being scalped getting in it.
                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                  As a fellow Durango owner I can say that an upgrade in HP would be a good thing, mine is a 4.7 OHC with all the tow package goodies and 3:90 gears. I’ve been disappointed with it since the first time I towed with it. Just not enough torque at towing RPM.
                  When I was pulling my Gremlin through the Virginia Mountains I was having dreams of a Diesel as the temp gauge would climb with the engine screaming in second at every steep climb… that and the fact that the salty winter roads have begun to win the rust war points to a new Larger tow truck in my future. If I lived in a rust-free area maybe more cubic Inches would be in the cards. How big can a small block Mopar go?
                  I hope to get 200,000 miles prior to its demise, at about 175,000 now.
                  360 blocks can go 400+ inches. 318's can go 390+.

The first leg of my trip from Amarillo to OKC, when I did not have any wind or maybe a slight tail wind, it got 14 mpg dragging an 18 foot trailer (1500), Mustang (3300) and other stuff (400+). When I picked up a head wind, mileage went down to 10-11. It only had to downshift to second once when climbing a hill. Third was sufficient to maintain speed and even accelerate up most hills. I ran it with the overdrive on 99% of the time. It seemed happy to downshift by itself when necessary and then go back to o/d. This truck is a '98 and has the 235/75-15 tires, 3.55 gears and has 140k miles on the clock. If it had the optional 31-10.5's on it, I bet the 318 would have had a much much harder time. Coolant temps stayed under 210 (middle of the gauge) except for when the water pump disintegrated in Edmond, OK on the way back. lol

Overall, I was happy with how the truck performed. It could use more power or 3.92 gears, but I just don't tow this much stuff with it all that often so it will be ok for now. I was a little jealous of all the Dodges and Super Duty Fords that passed me on the highway though!
                  Last edited by BBR; September 21, 2011, 06:52 AM.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• The rear carpet piece is still in there, but the front carpet and insulation has been pulled out and is just some heat insulating bubble stuff with the rubber floor mats thrown ontop. The interior trim pieces and head liner are all removed.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• if you're going to race the durango - gas, but why spend all the money to bore, stroke and tune that motor when Dodge has an awesome diesel? for a tow rig, there just isn't a comparison. My 6.2 is slow, and plodding but there isn't a hill where 45mph is the slowest its going - okay, there isn't a slight incline where it isn't doing 45 but still - I'm getting 13 mpg towing 20,000 lbs and 25 empty.... with the cummins diesel, you get that same mileage and the ability to turn up the wick to where you'll need a full cage.

Comment

• Get the mustang reliable, you don't need a tow vehicle....
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

• couple of helper springs for that heavy muther of a Cummins... I got 14 pulling a fullsize Bronco behind the Lightning this weekend at 70, and I was thrilled. If traffic will hold 70, it doesn't downshift. If we get down to 60 or so, it will downshift going up hills near Temple. It's around 2300rpm at 70, so it's pretty happy there. (4.10 , .7 od, 30" tire)

I'd try the gears first.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            Get the mustang reliable, you don't need a tow vehicle....
                            life would be so simple if I had never bought a truck or a trailer.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I've pulled my trailer all over the Eastern US with the Dakota and 318 package. It has the factory trailer towing package and works great. It will downshift in the mountains of WVA but stays at 50-55. It does want premium and is a bit thirsty but when I abuse it like I do I have have no complaints. I LOVES my Dakota (also a '98). I worry what I'll do when it needs replacing. Maybe just freshen it up and build a 360?

Dan

Comment

• A buddy has an old Cummins Dodge, I wish I’d never been in it now. LOL.
                                For me the perfect Durango would have a nice Cummins 4BT with a fat Turbo. But I need another project like I need another hole in my head so I’ll use what I have ‘till it wears out, then buy something better.
                                And Squirrel, you’re correct, as far as I’m concerned if it has headlights and a license plate the goal is to not ever need a trailer

Comment

Working...
                                X