Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The nitrous installation for next spring continues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nitrous installation for next spring continues!

Hi everyone,
    I just thought I'd check out the new forum.

I'm quietly working on the T/A and getting it ready for next spring, and hope to give it a good thrash at the National Fbody Motorsports Event in Memphis come May. I've trophied once there, and hope to repeat.
    --
    Meanwhile, here's the latest mod to the car: The installation of a nitrous system. It's already been switched around a little from these pictures, but they capture the essence of the proect. Wiring is going to get a good bit of cleaning up before next spring as I dont like the "snake pit" look of all that loom.
    --
    I'm working on designing the controller for the whole system, and should have it readyfor the NFME event in May in Memphis. Essentially the controller will handle the remote bottle opening, the bottle heater control, and do some custom stuff with the purge. That way all I need to do is flip one switch to arm the whole system, without ever having to worry if the bottle is open, closed, or if the heater is on or off.

The wiring is halfway done: The nitrous pressurizes and I can blow the purge or the solenoids by arming and then touching the wires to ground.

--
    Here's the bottle installation:

Here's the switch control panel that hides all the switches into what used to be a useless ashtray:

This is the nitrous solenoids, as mounted on the Nitrous Outlet's throttle body bracket. Very pretty piece, I think!

Behind the bracket is a fuel distribution block where the pressure switch, a gage, and a fuel pressure transducer are located. The transducer will be used by the EFI system for logging fuel pressure during the runs. I hope to have an electronic transducer for nitrous pressure, eventually as well. That way I can more efficiently control pressure with a microprocessor controlled heater circuit.

Here you can see how the lines plug into the spraybars that are integrated into the plenum.

Here you can see how the spraybars sit behind the throttle body inside the plenum. They direct the spray straight up & down across the airflow pattern, and I'll probably be doing some careful reading of plugs the first few times I use the system.

Next spring I'll give it a go, starting witha 75 HP shot. Then if things look okay, I'll work up to a 150 shot. It should be good for some low 11's, maybe better, assuming I can row the 6-speed. I'm low 12's at 112 MPH without nitrous.

Now that I've got the big 12-bolt in there, along with the new rear suspension, I dont think I'll have to worry so much about dumping the clutch!

Cheers,
    --Dan

Re: The nitrous installation for next spring continues!

Holler if you need a hand, your close enough, I can help.

Comment

Dan,can you tell me more about the event in Memphis.I have a 89 trans am,all stock.
      Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Very nice setup!!! I've always had a soft spot for nice thirdgens...

Comment

In that first pic, you're either going around that corner at 7mph or you've got your suspension straightened out pretty well.

Comment

good to see you over here Dan! nitrous setup looks killer.

Are you using some kind of custom microcontroller setup to handle the purge, bottle opening etc.?? how does that work?
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
            X