2005 Chevy Corvette build & upgrades thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2005 Chevy Corvette build & upgrades thread

Something arrived from the boys in the brown truck today...

Comment

Lets see - no update for a few weeks... its been a very busy and crazy expensive month...

I packed/moved/unpacked - and finally got the Vette over to my new house. I found a 4 bedroom house here in Charlotte for very cheap, and couldnt pass up the deal. Plus I qualifed for the first home owner tax credit, so I'm expecting that in a few weeks.

Pic of the house

After I got moved in and mostly unpacked, I wanted to finish up a few projects on the Corvette. First was a set of 4LT package leather door handles that I bought off of CorvetteForum for real cheap.

Let me say this.... removing C6 Corvette door panels are a pain in the ass!

Second project was - well more creature comfort then anything - I'll be on the Hot Rod Power Tour this summer, and using my phone as a GPS well just sucks because its on the Sprint network, and driving through the midwest and south, I wont have full coverage - I guarantee it. So I installed a factory Navigation unit that I got out of a 2009 Z06.

The last thing that happened just this weekend - was that I got into an accident in my daily beater - I had a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It had the supercharged L67 v6 in it - and well a guy blew a red light and hit the front of my car. He trashed my hood, and that was the nail in the coffin in that car. I've been wanting to get rid of it for a long time. So I got a new hood from a junkyard, and well color didnt match. I installed the hood at the yard, drove home and washed and waxed the car, then I went to the dealership and traded it in...

So I drove home in this...

Picked up an 08 G8 GT - has the L76 v8 w/ 6 speed automatic.

It has a CAI, SLP long tube headers, and full Corsa exhaust on it. I got a really good deal on it - and I have no complaints! I'm not planning on modifying the G8 anytime soon.

Comment

Nice house - congrats... and congrats on the new car.... I've learned my lesson too, don't modify the DD.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yeah same here... hell my Vette was my DD for awhile!

Comment

Just went to a dyno day this morning:

Vette Dyno'd 370/370 hp/tq

G8 GT dyno'd 360/370 hp/tq

& My cars w/ a buddies 160 mile Z06

Comment

Not a car update - but car storage update? Haha...

I've been in my house for 2 months now, and its about time I tackled my garage project.

The floor was nasty with oil stains, spilled paint, Spackle and gum! So I joined the garage-forums and looked through different products and options for taking care of the floor. I settled on Griots Garage Non Lifting industrial epoxy. It was in my price range and has great reviews. The Lowes/Home Depot stuff is just garbage IMHO.

It took about 4 hrs of cleaning/acid etching/washing off the floor and about 2 hrs per coat for 3 days to get this project done. I'll say it looks a hell of a lot better then before. I've got some gladiator shelving to put up, and of course the car posters and stuff.

Its not perfect, but not bad for for my first garage of my own. The Griots garage epoxy went down real easy with no big issues or complaints.

Before:

After:

Comment

Had a Vette filled weekend, ended up driving about 200 miles up around the western NC mountains. I hit up part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and some mountain roads along the Pisgah National Forrest. I do have to say, I'm really glad I have the KDW2s and the Z06 brakes, they performed flawlessly!

& now my last mod before Power Tour...

Got in on group buy for a set of HID foglights, so I spent an hour or so putting them in. I have to say the look a lot better then the hallogens that I had in there...

Before..

After..

Both installed, and car finally back on the ground.

Comment

People with garages to work in make me sick.......with envy. Nice job. Now you have a blank canvas to put tools, work benches, tv's, fridges, cool pics, bar stools, and more cars. hehe.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I've got some Gladiator cabinents that I picked up from sears for cheap to put up.

I've got a couple of signs and other things to hang. I'm just trying to determine where I'm going to put everything.

Comment

Nice looking seal job in the garage.
                      How is that G8 driving ?

Comment

This might be sad... but my G8 GT gets a TON better gas milage in the city then my GTP did, it runs on 87 and has 2 more cylinders....

I really like the car, I must say Holden engineered a hell of a product.

2 complaints I have.... the 6 speed auto sometimes doesnt know what gear to shift into when you punch it. The other is lack of homelink... which I'm going to resolve myself, I bought a homelink off ebay, and Im going to fiberglass it into a spare sunvisor...

Comment

homelink?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

For those of us that are lazy & hate garage door openers....

Comment

Introducing: project I'm a moron...

So I bought a new shift knob off a member of the CorvetteForum from DSvettes for real cheap, got it and went to install it and results w/ this..

Yeah knob doesn't fit - apparently in 2008 they changed the shifter design, as well as the shifter arm design so I kinda got screwed.

So fast forward, a quick search on fleabay, and I found full shifter assembly out of a 2008 Z06, placed buy, and got a great deal on it.

I installed the full z06 shifter assembly tonight, had no issues and it bolted right in. Heres some finished pics.

The throw is a little bit shorter, and shifted really nice on the freeway tonight.

Comment

The garage looks awesome. and have fun on the tour

Comment

Working...
                                X