My 2001 Grand Prix GT or Project AVIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2001 Grand Prix GT or Project AVIS

OK a little history on the car before i start the project plans.

bought the car in October 26, 2007 exactly 7 years since it left the assembly line October 26, 2000. the car was ordered with zero options from the factory actually has things deleted. in 2001 was the first year for On Star and the car has the $20 option that deleted it. it also cam with floor mats delete other then that it had just enough to be a 2dr. but one option code BQ2 actually explains why. BQ2 is the option code for AVIS rental car fleet convertion. still have no idea what all that entails but it also had Calli emissions and was never any where near Calli staid in AZ until 2006

here is how it looked when i bought it stock standard AVIS white rental fleet blah

car was great had the GM 3800 series II N/A engine L36 and the 4T65-E 130,000 miles. but at 134,000 the trans went out coming back up from Detroit so seeing as i was in auto tech and had to rebuilt a trans any way took out the engine and the trans and since the engine was all ready out of the car i decided to rebuild it where i found a nifty little bit of info on the engine. it was replaced at 100,000 so it was not even broke in yet lol

so i bought an aftermarket cam from a XP-HOT cam from comp cams, a top end from the supercharged version of the 3800 the L67, double roller stiffer valve springs, and a higher stall converter and a bunch of other boring trans stuff :D

here are some old pics

the sub frame with the original factory 134,000 mile struts

the engine with the cam and double roller installed ;D

a 1974 Corvette Stingray 454 4speed muncie 8) school Restoration project (my car is right under it)

random useless N/A parts

the frame to the '74 'vette 8)

headers on ready for sub frame

something is missing ???

on the sub frame 8)

closer pic of the headers and engine

i just really like this pic 8)

it looks so empty :'(

it's in ;D

after this i drove it a bit changed the looks a few times and put the stock manis back on (the headers keepted leaking and would not seal)

i then dynoed the car. made 261 WHP and ran 12.98 @107MPH not to shabby for being mostly stock GM parts engines just a 9.2:1 compression, 3.4" over drive pulley(stock is 3.8"), and ant the time stock manifolds and a 3" down pipe
    top swap, 3.4 pulley, xp cam, stock manifolds, 3" DP, stock exhuast

and then i found some used stainless steel headers they are copy's of the SLP headers for the W-body they fit great and have no leaks

and this is how the car sits to day

now the trans has started to slip after only 13,000 miles i know why it's bleeding off pressure in the valve body the valves in it have ware so that's going to get replaced. the injectors are also leaking they where used so no big deal injectors are cheap also plan on doing suspension work because it needs it. also got a modular pulley system for the car so i can drop to a smaller pulley also going to get a lap top tuner for the car looking at HP tuners so i can get all the power i can from this car

Re: My 2001 Grand Prix GT or Project AVIS

Ask Chad how he likes these cars ;D

One thing you don't see too often unless you work at a GM dealership is an engine out of one of these cars and taken apart. Nice! Thanks for sharing.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Nice car. I had weak spot for Bonnie SSTi's back in the 80's-90's. Now go beat up some of those Integra bozos.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        Nice car. I had weak spot for Bonnie SS Ti's back in the 80's-90's. Now go beat up some of those Integral bozos.
        ha i beat stock mustang GTs :D

it's fun going to the track no one even pays attention the car but as soon as a do a burn out and run a 12.9x they always start asking questions

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        Ask Chad how he likes these cars ;D

One thing you don't see too often unless you work at a GM dealership is an engine out of one of these cars and taken apart. Nice! Thanks for sharing.
        it was the easiest way to get the trans out and we didn't have an engine cradle. the oil pan also had a slight leak so it made since

Comment

That is a cool project and i would have never believed in the 3800 if i hadn't owned one.

Comment

Ah, that blower whine...makes me miss my Regal.

...almost.

Definetly, seeing underhood doesn't.

Glad to see you made the jump over!
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Very nice and different!

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                Ah, that blower whine...makes me miss my Regal.

...almost.

Definetly, seeing underhood doesn't.

Glad to see you made the jump over!
                under hood is not that bad just a major PITA when you have to do any thing to the rear of the engine or passenger side if it was a longitudinal mount

and yes the blower wine is nice makes up for the horrible noise the exhuast makes

here is the horrible noise that is the exhuast :P
                please comment, rate, and subscribe if you liked this :)car has a top swap 3" DP 3.4" pulley zzp pcm with some fine tuning done to it. stock cat back no KR

Comment

Working...
                X