• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 65 GTO

nice lineup
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Used to, not so much lately, when i tell them what I would want for the GTO or the 72 Formula they think I am nuts. I just might sell something this time, but I am not going to give it away either.

Comment

demand seems to be coming back up.... I've never put a for sale sign on my Buick - but I've almost sold the car a couple times recent at a price that was... well... enthusiastic. (strange given I have advertised it here and on CL at a much lower price with zero interest).
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Soooo, how's progress?
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Todd, everyone is telling me to repaint my car Evening Orchid. You should paint your Goat Iris Mist so we'll match in pink ugliness.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nah it will be red if I keep it, or Mayfair Maize if I continue to build it for Dave. Been having problems with his daughter, we are working on it, but everything is up in the air right now, not even sure if I will have a place to live much longer. Dave isnt the problem though, he is doing his best to help me out.

So with all of that, and going to Nebraska in May and again this month, progress on the GTO has been slow. My teen age daughters are up here now, and they like to help with the car stuff. So we are planning on doing more car projects over the summer.

I have worked on the GTO all of three days since April when she dropped a bomb on me. Just been one of those things. I got the old quarter cut off, and the replacement I hacked from a rusty Tempest in the trees is almost ready to go on. There was lots of bad stuff on the old one from a previous crappy repair. I am not fond of 3" thick filler and I would have to rework lots of it to make it right for me. So the whole thing came off and I have lower patches in the rear already so its a simple matter of getting it all back on straight.

Here is what it looks like.

Here is the quarter it is getting, not in bad shape considering where it was for 40 years. The lower rust isnt a big deal to me, the top half is in great condition and that is what I needed to replace. It was a post so I have to set it up for a hardtop, just a little bit of hacking and cutting, nothing big for me.

All the inner surfaces will get POR15, and that is probably what I will work on today, well that and trimming so I can fit the replacement outer wheelhouse. I dont want this thing to rust again, so it will get lots of POR slathered on it. Also got the dash cut off the Tempest cowl, needs a bit of work before I can put it in, and the cowl needs repairs and POR on it. It will end up with lots of sealer on the cowl under the windshield, there are some big gaps I cant do much about short of replace the entire piece, and the one I have isnt that great.

Lately I have been able to walk better so I have gotten things done I havent been able to do in 5 years. Like mow the lawn, work out in the gym, go for walks, and things of that nature. I have lost 40lbs since March, and I want to lose another 35-40, so all of that is taking up time I used to spend on the car. I have gotten my life back being able to walk again, and I need to fix things other than the car, mainly me. (there is a reason I am not allowed to work anymore) I need to get back to the car since it is fun for me, and lately I have been doing work instead of having fun. I want to get this one done so I can do some others to sell, and hopefully buy the place where I live, that way I have a home.

Comment

Sorry for the relationship problems - never fun. Been divorced twice and finally found a woman who actually likes me. We'll be together 20 years in July. Hope all works out for you.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan, I have been divorced once, and I dont plan on doing that again. I am very picky about who I spend time with now, but I am not easy to live with. I am working on fixing that, she deserves it after everything she has been through right beside me over the last few years. This time the problem is more me than her, so Im going to fix the leak rather than trying to keep putting oil in it.

Comment

Good for you, Todd. That's REAL courage. If it's any help I can tell you my journey off-line. Everyone's voyage is different but there are similarities.

Dan

Comment

A big part of what makes me hard to live with has to do with the sandbox, I appreciate someone who will put up with what that means. I am not the only one out there, but I would still answer the call if I knew before what it meant in the years after my service.

I can fix this like I can fix a car, just not with the same tools or skills. The same never quit, learn from mistakes, and the endless drive to make it functional and shiny again is the greatest asset I have. Be it cars, myself, or a relationship. Just cant do all of it at once. The car is less important, so it takes a back seat. It will get some rubbin today though.

Comment

it is hard to admit youre the reason things are f-ed up...My marrage is shakey right noww and I know (NOW) it is becasue of me before I blamed her...it was always her...good luck fixing yourself...its way harder than fixing cars...
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                          it is hard to admit youre the reason things are f-ed up...My marrage is shakey right noww and I know (NOW) it is becasue of me before I blamed her...it was always her...good luck fixing yourself...its way harder than fixing cars...
                          Well the only things in common with all the previous relationships that ended in a similar fashion, them leaving, cheating, etc. was they are female and I was involved. Besides I know from talking with other veterans that I am not alone in having a long trail of broken relationships. Part of the deal, and its why I wont get married again. Hell if this one doesnt come back I wont even get involved again, just too much stress to deal with over and over.

Yesterday I got out the paint brush and POR15 to get rid of surface rust and make sure this thing doesnt rust again. Well not in the spots I can reach anyway. Did the upper part of the cowl, inside the firewall, and the floor. Also under the filler panel between the trunk and rear window. Its already dry so today it will get some metal fitted back onto it and it will start to look like a car again. With luck I can get the wheel house and quarter panel back on it. It is progressing and my daughter ran the bead blaster while I painted. Then we got out of there so the paint fumes wouldnt kill our brain cells.

Comment

Sorry about your relationship woes. Keep up the good work.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Wait a minute. You HAVE brain cells? I thought all body guys had used them up years ago. No wonder you can get so much done!

Dan

Comment

Yeah um Dan, I am not a body guy. I can do it but it isnt what I prefer. I build engines, transmissions and set up rear ends, along with everything else. The body work is one of those I cant afford to pay someone to do it so I do it myself things. Not gonna git much done today, teaching the kids to drive instead. Tomorrow is rain so we will be back in the shop then.

Comment

Working...
                                X