X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 65 GTO

Originally posted by vt junk
    Originally posted by Huskinhano
    Amazing amount of progress since your first post. Keep of the great work.
    Ditto, and it's great to see one more of the great ones saved. Thankfully we have all this aftermarket support these days otherwise this wouldn't be possible without cutting up other cars.
    don't tell people like my dad that.. as they still rebuild cars with no aftermarket body panels aval., and will not cut up another car to fix one.. ,file.dollies/hammers/ and time..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
      Originally posted by vt junk
      Originally posted by Huskinhano
      Amazing amount of progress since your first post. Keep of the great work.
      Ditto, and it's great to see one more of the great ones saved. Thankfully we have all this aftermarket support these days otherwise this wouldn't be possible without cutting up other cars.
      don't tell people like my dad that.. as they still rebuild cars with no aftermarket body panels aval., and will not cut up another car to fix one.. ,file.dollies/hammers/ and time..
      Ive done it that way too. No replacement panels for my Cougar and I didnt buy any for a 79 Trans Am I did last year. I could get them for this one, and I wanted it to be a nice driver and since I have the cash right now its getting some pieces. You cant find cars that arent rusted or bashed up here that you can cut up, I found a couple but mainly they are front end parts and some window channels.

Comment

it's kool.. was just say'n
        nothing against usen panel when aval..
        hell I got a basement of velle panels

Comment

I was agreeing with you IH.. I use whatever I have available that I can afford. All the small patches will come from a late 80s Suburban hood I use for that purpose.

Comment

old van sides are ggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee eeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt

Comment

Van roofs are excellent as well - especially of you need a rolled dimple of two. Make nice pick up bed covers. Handy stuff - and usually rust free.

Dan

Comment

Tad short on vans, and the burbs got scrapped a couple years back when it was high. They werent my burbs but I could have a few choice items from them for my 76 C10. Otherwise they would still be here and I would be cutting them up and welding them into other stuff.

Comment

More work today, started the patch and drop repair and found some messed up work from years ago. They left a huge chunk of the outer wheel house attached to the quarter skin and never bothered to weld it to the wheel house. The only way I could see to fix it was to do some cutting, and I could repair the rusted, oil canned, and full of holes section right above the wheel. I have the patch welded in, but the batteries died in the camera before I could shoot it. I'll finish up the patch tomorrow and post some pics of it then.

Had to do some major straightening on the wheel lip before I put it back on, this is going to take a while to make everything right enough to keep water and dust out.

Comment

when a 66 Plymouth shows up at your door, dont ask questions....just fix it...I will be by to pick it up later....I will bring beer, and cash....maybe a kid or 2 to barter....
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Ok, but I charge a premium to work on Mopars, but being a 66 its less than anything after 1972. Find me a decent 64 Sport Fury with a B or RB in it and we'll talk for sure..

Comment

at that point ,why not a skin

Comment

Because a skin wont show up until April, they were on back order so I went with the lower patches that were in stock. Apparently all the vendors were out of the skin for the drivers side earlier this month, I called all of the companies I know about that sell 65 GTO parts. Ames, PY, Paddock, and OPG were all out and on back order. Since I dont have time to wait until April to do the panel, I do it this way. Its more work but will look ok when its done.

Comment

The patch moved around a bit so I need to do some bumping to get the panel flat again, right now it has a slight bend to it along the front seam. I can use the bottom where it attaches to the rocker to help move it outward, but it really needs some persuasion. I found a wedge of wood stuck in that spot when I cut the panel off.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                              Ok, but I charge a premium to work on Mopars, but being a 66 its less than anything after 1972. Find me a decent 64 Sport Fury with a B or RB in it and we'll talk for sure..
                              I am still looking...I see them pop up pretty often...found one or two nice examples but way more than I think you want to spend....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've been drooling for a '63 or a '65 for years. I like the little tail lights and the '64 has the bigger ones. Mostly I love the top on those cars. The whole car looks light and refined to me.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X