My 67 Beetle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 67 Beetle

Don't have a lot to report yet, but I will update this thread as I make progress with all the plans I've made for this year. I have been gathering parts and pieces to go on my 67 Bug for this spring. For those of you who haven't seen a pic of the car, here's one from a cruise last fall:

I took some more photos the day I cleaned it up to put in storage, but like a dumbass I deleted them before saving them to my Photobucket account. :

So anyway, the engine had the typical leaky pushrod tubes and seals, so we took it out before tucking the car in to the corner at the storage building. This will give me the opportunity as well to clean and detail things on the engine, including a repaint on the fan shroud and cooling tin. I have two different dual carb & manidfold sets that I have picked up off the Samba, a big VDub site, and have to decide which one to go with. Also have a nice restored Bosch mechanical advance distributor from a guy in Utah that specializes in refurbishing distributors and fuel pumps for early VWs and Porsches. And most importantly, I got a mint set of heater boxes from a guy in Cali, to replace the ones on the car that are missing the outer shells ... and therefore do not transfer any heat to the passenger compartment. The theme for the engine bay is what the VW guys refer to as "Vintage Speed", giving it the look of being hopped up with parts that were available back in the 60s and 70s. I want to do the fuel lines and some of the detailing with an early hot rod esthetic as well.

The large purchase I had been thinking about for this year was wheels & tires. I had been looking at the Mooneyes Speedmasters, which are a Halibrand style wheel that come in the VW wide-5 pattern. But I was doing my usual agonizing over a wheel choice, it usually takes me 2 months or more to pick new wheels for any of my cars. Then I spotted these for sale on the Samba, turns out the guy was about an hour away from me:

Picked them up last weekend (minus the tires, wrong size for a Bug) ... they are called a "Randar" wheel, which is a replica of a wheel from the 60s and 70s called a "Rader" that was sold by Sears. There was also an Empi version that had ribbed spokes that are very commonly available as a replica now, but I don't like them as much, the version I have is not seen as often, something that I consider when making a wheel choice. So I have new tires ordered to go on these, 185/55R15 and 205/65R15, a few sizes wider than the ones on my stock steelies. This way I can keep the stockers as a complete set, and switch them back and forth once in a while to change up the look. For the new ones I also have a set of redline portawalls ready to go on, combined with the Randars it should end up with a neat sort of late 60s "Hot Wheels" vibe on the outside.

More to follow ...

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Re: My 67 Beetle

I use to have a 70 bug. man do I miss that car. I like the direction your going in. Looking forward to seeing progress down the road. Good luck.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Love your '67!!! Nice stance.
      It would be kool to see how many VW guyz are really here.
      I have those very same wheels for one of mine...HOT. If you dont mind what did you end up payin for yours? I had RANDEE make mine for me and it was $1100 shipped, (15x6/15x5). Bet you did better.
      I'm lowering my '66 bus right now, but hope to get the wheels on in a couple weeks.

Look forward to the updates Ed!

Here's the one gettin the wheels.

Comment

Nice Bug's guys, my son has a 63 that we just got on the road last year. Fast ed, where did you put your turn signals? We shaved ours also and put them in the headlight bucket.

Comment

Ed, bitchin' bug. The stance is perfect.

Does the distributor guy buy cores? I have an old ('53) VW dist that I have no use for. Hell, if you want it you can have it. I'll post the numbers off of it tonight. It needs to be gone through but it is a complete piece.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

You guys just keep getting me farther in debt....

Nice Bug Ed
            Now I want one!!!!
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Thanks for the props, guys. Seems to be a lot VW guys here, some are still maybe "in the closet" so to speak. ;D

AFFORDILLAC, I got the wheels from a guy here in southern Ontario who had bought them for his 55 Bus that he no longer has ... young family, bills to pay, you know the deal. Another reason why I don't have a wife and kids. He bought them from another guy about 2 hours north of Toronto, who had ordered them from Randee I'm guessing. They are all 15x5", I would have preferred 6" for the rear, but I won't complain for $750 CAN for the set. Some small scratches on the machined surface of a couple of the wheels, but that can be remedied easily enough. Eventually I will look at getting a pair of 6s from Randee if is actually filling orders, then I can use one of the 5s for the spare wheel, and have an extra.

darksider, the signals are down in the horn grills. This was done by a previous owner. I like the look, but they are a bit covered when viewed from the front by the bumper overriders. I'm putting a set of the Technostalgia LED taillights in this year, and I will probably get some LED lights for the front signals as well to make them a bit more noticeable.

Brian, here is the guy I got the distributor from... http://www.vintagewerks.com/. Very good to deal with, his name is Ed Fall. Not sure if they are buying cores, I would think so if it is one they can use. The unit I have is originally from a 58 Bus I believe.

cheers
              Ed N.

Comment

Thanks Ed, we were thinking of putting them in the grills, but thought the bumper would be in the way.

We just bought a dual carb setup and will put them on in the spring. The carbs are Weber single barrels.

Comment

I may switch out the bumpers for the blade style at some point, which would clear up the view. That style might look better with the Randars. I like the look of the overriders with the stock steelies.

For carbs, I've got the same style, some Empi copies of the Weber 34 ICTs. Got the kit with the single port manifolds, everything less the linkage, for $220 off the Samba a few months ago, all brand new. But since they are Empi, we're going to crack open the carbs first before using them. I have an old Kadron kit with the tall steel single port manifolds as well, but I think the little 34s will be a better match for the stock 1500 for cruising.

cheers
                  Ed N.

Comment

My son did quite a bit of research on the Samba, and also thinks the 34's will are the way to go. We have a 1600 dual port, and bought the kit from CB Performance for $399 including the cross shaft, linkage, filters and carbs. He is very excited to get them on. Right now the car has a Weber style Holley progressive two barrel, so this should give the Bug a little more punch.

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed
                      I may switch out the bumpers for the blade style at some point, which would clear up the view.
                      Ed, I think your '67 would look fantastic with blade style bumpers, get rid of those stock overriders ..
                      ;)

Comment

Steve, I have to admit to being of two minds on that topic ... on one hand, it would be a "cleaner" look for sure, which may suit the new wheels better, but on the other hand, it is the main thing on the car from a straight-on front view that IDs it as a 67 ... with the regular sealed beam headlights and plain bumpers, it looks more like a 68-73.

What I will likely do is keep an eye out for a decent pair for sale at the various VW swaps and shows. I would even consider a pair with the small "Euro" guards.

Here's something the VDubbers on BS might not have seen, a great site for trying various combos of colour, wheels, stance, accessories, on a Beetle, lots of fun to play with:

cheers
                        Ed N.

Comment

Ed, I say if you have the correct rear bumper...I'd keep'um. Otherwise, jus the blade probably.

Comment

No, unfortunately the car does not have the correct 67 rear bumper ... the previous owner got the overrider bumpers at a swap meet for $10 each ... they are a bit rough needless to say. :P

cheers
                            Ed N.

Comment

A Bugs a bug to most people. The blade would look kool n kustom and VW guyz will know it's not a '68. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X