62 Mercury Comet Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Mercury Comet Project

With the '70 Mustang Mach project pretty much finished up except for a few minor pieces, mostly parts we're waiting for, we needed something else to do. I looked at the local papers, Craigslist, etc and came up with about 20 potential vehicles. Made some phone calls and lined up a few to look at. We ended up with this '62 Comet S-22 on Friday that is a running driving car with the original 170 6 and 2 speed auto. This will be a restoration, with a few upgrades for safety. I drove the car into the garage Tuesday and we started making a parts list, and removed a few items. The next day we really started to make some progress.

One of the reasons I chose this car is that it was a CA car that had never seen an Eastern winter and is reasonably complete, and it ran and drove.

As you can see by the above picture, this is a real solid car. You look long and hard to find a unibody car this good here in the Northeast. It has trunk drop offs, no quarter panel patches, and rear frame rails!

Another shot of the bottom.

Part way through the disassembly

The engine ran nicely so it will be torn down, inspected and at the least recieve a gasket set and a detailing to correct colors, black with argent valve cover and air cleaner.

The pile of parts is getting larger! Actually, everything is being inspected, condition noted and replacements for damaged and broken parts being sourced. All the parts are tagged and the hardware bagged.

Now the fun begins. The fenders need to have some work done on the m so I left them on the car, but everything else is out, fuel and brake lines, rearend, interior, glass.
    By Friday mid morning I'm well on my way to stripping 3 layers of paint off. With all the metal flake in the paint this thing must have looked like a bass boat!

Re: 62 Mercury Comet Project

cool project.... it's going to be a stocker restore?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you sure dont waste time huh?
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
        Yeah, a stocker. Decided it would fun for a change. So many of these cars get changed over to V-8 this or that.

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
        LOL, and somewhere in there I had time to restore a few damaged stainless pieces. We'll see what this week brings.

Comment

Originally posted by vt junk
          Originally posted by Buickguy
          Yeah, a stocker. Decided it would fun for a change. So many of these cars get changed over to V-8 this or that.

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
          LOL, and somewhere in there I had time to restore a few damaged stainless pieces. We'll see what this week brings.

i wish i had half that motivation...you are my nrew hero
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Different project. I like. What's the deal with S-22 package on a Comet?
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite designs of the 60s - a beautiful top of the line Comet! Have fun!
              President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Hey Andy, check your e-mail!
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

So - Andy - this is your full time gig now?

I hope you find some profit margin at the end of this project.

What's the original color?

and yes - you've now officially made me feel like a 3 toed sloth with all my projects.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I had a '63, but not a S22. Mine was a cheapie 2 door sedan with 170 and 3 on the tree - bridle path tan in color. It was a neat car, though.

Best of luck
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                      Different project. I like. What's the deal with S-22 package on a Comet?
                      The S-22 had 6 taillights instead of 4, red painted steel wheels, the 170 engine (vs. the 144) as standard equipment, bucket seats, console, and a unique steering wheel.

By the way, anyone know of a steering wheel kicking around for one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        So - Andy - this is your full time gig now?

I hope you find some profit margin at the end of this project.

What's the original color?

and yes - you've now officially made me feel like a 3 toed sloth with all my projects.
                        Yeah this is my fulltime work now. Doesn't feel like work to me, I love it! The original color was Corinthian white with a blue interior. Not sure what color it will be, I'm leaning towards Vintage Burgundy, another '60s Ford color, with a black gut.

Comment

Very cool project, last of the finned Mercs!!

cheers
                          Ed N.
                          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

If you're going to keep the runing gear stock - and do an other wise "all original" restoration - wouldn't sticking with the original colors be appropriate?
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

So,when it's all said and 'done',are we keeping it,or are we sending it on down the line, as my Sister wants a Comet like my Black '64 202 as a 'cruiser'. ~J/W.

Comment

Working...
                              X